box5.jpg

Yep, it's doing the rounds again, Pro Flight Simulator aka Pro Flight Sim aka Flight Gear is on the scam trail once more.

I  received an email today titled MS Flight Sim and inside it said Microsoft Flight Simulator -The Perfect Filler Between Real World Flying. It was pointing to Pro Flight Simulator with the usual enthusiastic endorsements from nobodies.

Anyone new visiting here please avoid these cowboys like the plague.

• Like 1

I was wondering how long it would take for these cowboys to show up again...

Thanks for posting. Hopefully enough people will see this post and stear clear rather than falling foul of this scam, as many have...

scams come in many shapes and forums these days;

i was almost scammed last year; i didn’t even think twice about it; for me the coincidental seemed very natural; though bit strange;

a business friend left for vacation; few days prior we were talking over the phone when he told me he is going for two week to turcky (out of all places);

a week later i get an email from him saying he needs my help; he was robbed and jailed while in Turkey and can’t get back home;

i was ready to wire him the founds to bring him back home when he called to warn me in person,

apparently one of his office workers know of this in advance and used his email account to mass email everyone on his list; from there it’s just a matter of numbers

luckily I didn’t just wire the founds I was trying to get a hold of him first to make sure he is the one getting the founds; and that’s when I found out his account was compromised,

That's fairly common. I get that two or three times a year, sent from the e-mail address of someone I know. Some kind of malware has hijacked their contacts list and sent these messages to people they know. It is a bizarre coincidence, if it was indeed a coincidence, that Chris' friend WAS in Turkey at the time, however. It becomes pretty creepy if they are able to target the e-mail accounts of people who really are travelling to whatever sh*thole they list in their e-mailed message.

If someone you care about is really in jail in Turkey, helping them get out of there is a worth while thing to do. On the list of the places you'd least like to be in jail, they are pretty high on the list.

John

I don’t get these scam emails for years now; I’m very anal when it comes to online security,

The whole incident caught me by surprise, none of my guards went up with this one; very alarming paradigm!

we’ve all seen midnight express,

my first instinct was to help a friend in need; my mind didn’t even think twice about it! (my friend is in his mid-60’s),

the coincident was a freak of nature or deliberate man induced; in hindsight most likely a man induced to look like a coincident,

i ended up emailing him back; asking for a phone number to get in touch with him;

i was concerned the founds he was asking me to wire weren’t enough to get him back home safely;

he ended up responding to my email two days later; at that point i wasn’t the only one who reached out to help,

he was made aware of this as i emailed him back; called me to assure me he was perfectly ok and his trip wasn’t interrupted,

I can't believe none has gone after these pukes yet. :unclemartin:

Thanks for the heads up. :)

I too wondered why this operation hadn't been shut down. A bit of trolling through t he net indicated that it's actually fine to charge for what is free open source software, if they offer other stuff like extra aircraft, manuals, scenery or a help desk.

There will always be people in this world that find new and ingenious ways of getting trusting members of the public to part with their money. Nowadays the internet is an invaluable tool with which to research any prospective purchase...if we have the patience to dig deeper before pressing the Buy button.