Hi,

I have three monitors on a GTX 780 with Nvidia surround enabled. The resolution is 5200 x 1200 There's also a CDU connected to the card. I used to start up FSX borderless wich always worked like a charm but suddenly I can't get it to work properly anymore. FSX is now restricted to a small square in the middle of the middle monitor without the possibility of maximising it.

I've tried starting FSX in windowed mode, maximize it over three monitors and saving it, then starting FSX borderless but it won't work anymore,

Does anybody know what's going on ?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Martin, have you tried the ALT+ENTER key combo?

This should give you full screen.

If this does not work, rewind your graphics drivers to the previous one that worked.

Let us know how you get on.

I can start up the sim in windowed mode, maximize it over three monitors, then do alt-enter. I get a maximized, borderless sim but with the dreaded busy-cursor, no CDU screen and no windows task-bar, which is unflyable for me.

There's nothing changed in the Nvidia drivers so why would rolling them back do anything ?

There's nothing changed in the Nvidia drivers so why would rolling them back do anything ?

Because  people can't read your mind and you didn't provide much other information other than describing the problem.  They are just trying to help whilst covering the bases you haven't provided any information on.

• Like 1

People here will be more than willing to help, but first, don't assume anything on what they presume you have or haven't done, and secondly, provide as much information as possible.

I recall your previous monitor problems and they seemed to be very specific, and not many people had encountered the problems you described.  This is a perfect example of why providing as much information you can is the best way of helping us help you.

• Like 2

When you say borderless I assume that you mean full screen (Alt-Enter). I don't think you can fly full screen with multiple monitors.  You can, as you have done, stretch a windowed FSX over three screens, but if you go full screen it should do so but only over one screen.

The best you can hope for is to go windowed mode and then hide the menu bar by using the Alt key.

From what you have said earlier, and if I understand it correctly, you seem to be trying to achieve full screen across several monitors. I can only surmise that you are trying to do this by setting the screen resolution to an approximation of the resolution that would be archived if all the monitors were one.  You have something like 1730 by 1200 each on three monitors but set to 5200 by 1200  Unless you have some very powerful graphics card and some fancy graphics driver/software that is specifically designed to do this with a maximized window then this is never going to work.

My main work PC has four monitors. each is set to 1280 by 1024. Each screen sits next to another and can be used to stretch windows across one, two, three or four windows.  However when a window is maximized it will only maximize to the screen that the majority of the window is in. In short you can only use two or more screens for one application window (whatever program it is) if you are in windowed mode. It is a limitation of the way that most graphics output is delivered. You are, after all, feeding your screens from one source each and therefore the screens are still separate devices and cannot be thought of as a single entity. It is only the software that deals with windowed display that is allowing you to see the many screens as one, as hardware they are all still separate screens.

What ever you have done in the graphics set up is causing the graphics output to crash as it tries to do something it cant do.

Having said the above, I am not sure what you mean by a CDU.  Some help on what this is would be helpful as it may be a game changer.   All that I can say is that the above is true for all setups that have more than one output from a single card, additional USB driven screens, and all of the Matrox type devices I have used in the past, and any combination of these devices.

JG.

For the past 6 months or so I've been flying full screen over three monitors.I used to have a Matrox TH2GO but this did not use  the full resolution so I always had black bands on either side of FSX and it was indeed only windowed.

But then I discovered the wonders of Nvidia Surround and I never looked back. I first maximized FSX in windowed mode over three monitors and saved it. Then I used a great little tool called FSX_Borderless (in the AVSIM library) 

You just drop it in your FSX folder and use it to start FSX et voilá : borderless over three monitors.

My CDU (Opencockpits) is also connected to my GTX 780 and this allowed me to have my CDU-screen as a fourth monitor with a different resolution in windowed mode. The windows taskbar was always visible because auto hide doesn't work with Nvidia surround but I found this a small price to pay.

This worked perfectly until last week when I dropped my keyboard and some key combination screwed up things. I have been able to get back to full screen but without task bar and with a busy cursor. Of course I tried starting FSX normally, maximizing, saving but nothing seems to work. I haven't changed anything in the settings or in the driver.

BTW I only ever fly the PMDG NGX

This worked perfectly until last week when I dropped my keyboard and some key combination screwed up things. I have been able to get back to full screen but without task bar and with a busy cursor. Of course I tried starting FSX normally, maximizing, saving but nothing seems to work. I haven't changed anything in the settings or in the driver.

Ah, some potentially critical information which has been omitted / missing for the last three days.

As the incident with the keyboard has now been identified as the point when things went wrong, is it possible the problem is the keyboard and not any graphics / monitor related settings? Have you tried using another keyboard? It could be that the keyboard has been permanently damaged / keys stuck, thus continuing to cause the problem.

I am a strong devotee of the principle of Occam's Razor. Now, I could be wrong, but the keyboard incident seems to be the most likely point of the cause, and therefore, the ongoing source of the problem.

Andrew

Hi Martin!

(Sorry for being a bit late for the party!). I use NVidia Surround with three monitors, and have found that it can quite easily get flustered — for example, if I accidentally switch off one of the screens. If it's any help to you, to restore normal service I follow this procedure (this is from memory, so perhaps not totally accurate, but I think the main things are here):

Right-click the desktop and open the nVidia Control Panel. From there, ensure that the box "Span displays with Surround" is ticked, then click the button below to Configure. (Since you are running Logitech kit then it will probably tell you to start Task Mangler and stop the Lcore.exe process first, along with any others it doesn't like, such as IE). When you click Apply, the three displays should come to life, although they may not initially be in the right sequence — in that case you will have to juggle the positions to achieve your normal setup so that when you move the mouse from left to right across the screens it traverses them in the expected way. (Also ensure that obvious things like the display and resolution values are correct, and that the Multiple Displays option is set to "Extend desktop to this display").

The taskbar will probably still be at the bottom of the display, but initially limited to the centre screen only, whereas I like it spread over all three screens. To fix this (still in nVidia Control Panel):

Click on Desktop (in the top menu bar) and move the mouse over Surround Displays, then right and UNcheck  “Confine Taskbar to Center Display”. The taskbar will now be on all three (and it will now auto-hide if you wish, too).

That usually returns things to normal for me, so it may be worth a try? FSX_Borderless works fine for me, too, although I don't have a fourth monitor for my three CDUs (within PSX) since I can configure the various views to place them wherever I like.

Best of luck,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm back, had myself a little vacation. :)

I'm happy to say that Brian's suggestion worked. I created a new surround desktop (first had to untick the span displays option and apply otherwise it doesn't change anything) and voila : there she was again full screen. Great tip btw about the taskbar, I missed that completely so that's working as well now. 

Thanks !

Martin

• 2 weeks later...