Higher and Higher

So it's been a while since I posted some screens - mainly due to me either not flying or being on Vatsim and in a panic :) But tonight I wanted to take the comanche to new heights - the highest I have been in her was around 6,000 feet - so I decided to go past the 10,000 feet mark :)

This is just over 13,000 feet....

2015-09-201.png

The office looks nice at 13,000 hehe...

2015-09-202.png

On the decent, this got me worrying a little, the cylinder head temperature was dropping and going out the green. Apparently this is normal, and come to think about it, makes sense as the plane is practically idle and coasting down...

2015-09-203.png

One final shot, just above the M1 motorway heading for East Midlands...

2015-09-204.png

Thanks for viewing

• Like 1

Long time no see Jim... nice shots too... still havent got the comanche.. not sure which to get fsx or p3d...

Thanks - it's easy for me as I only have fsx lol.

The comanche is the best A2A aircraft in my opinion. Hard to say why but it is hehe.

Very nice set. I took mine for a spin, continuing the Lazy M Route this weekend, but got too lazy to write the leg up and post it. :D

Manifold gauge looks like it is having a hard time finding air up there at 13...did you have Oxygen in there...or working on your Sherpa lung exercises?

Very nice set. I took mine for a spin, continuing the Lazy M Route this weekend, but got too lazy to write the leg up and post it. :D

Manifold gauge looks like it is having a hard time finding air up there at 13...did you have Oxygen in there...or working on your Sherpa lung exercises?

Oxygen, what's that? ;)

Very nice shots Jim and that is a good looking cockpit worthy of a shot. :thum: I need to get this aircraft too, just waiting for some unexpected expenditures to even out. :(

If I may make a suggestion and the way I understand this, you need to worry about cold shocking the engine when descending from such a high altitude. It's always best to keep up the cylinder head temps in the green and the best way to do that is to descend at a 250-300 fpm attitude instead and keep the manifold pressure(throttle) up to between 18-20 inches while leaving your rpm's(prop) at the cruise position. As you reach lower altitudes you can slowly decrease the MP and that should keep your CHT in the green because you are keeping the engine running hotter with the throttle. It's not a good idea to go to idle or close to idle to descend and instead start the descent from high altitudes further out from the airport. Just my 2cents. :)  

You are very right brett - I wasn't expecting this to be honest as I've not really done it before, bit since I have looked it up and yes slower descent and throttle up keeps CHT higher.

Something to learn from and thanks to A2A for developing these features - it's great!

My images got tweeyed by A2A too that I'm very happy with hehe!

Twitter eh, it's not something I ever look at but hey there you are, pretty cool Jim. :thum: Well deserved. :)

A2A aircraft are a great learning platform as far as what's going on in the engine based on what you see on the gauges, something the default planes tried to but never were very accurate at.  

In the US, the max altitude you can fly for no more than 30 minutes is 14,000 ft.  Generally, if you are used to it or live at a higer altitude, 13,000 is both legal and safe.

Does the Comanche have cowl flaps?  One thing to do would be to close them, I do it in the Navajo all the time coming into our home base and it stays nice and toasty, the 421 I fly will destroy gearboxes if you shockcool the cylinders like that.

The comanche does not have cowl flaps so descent planning is needed :)

I was only at 13,000 feet for approx 5mins before I started descent, so no affects for me ;)

I find A2A aircraft quite hard to figure when things are not going 100% as the manuals are not very detailed around failures and what to look out for - but when things don't look right, I go to the forums and most of time someone has posted it before me.

Thanks all

Jim