Any FS news is interesting news, please share!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear All,   I would like to invite you all as Mutley's news hounds!   We all have our own connections, media feeds and FS site favourites etc. so if you see any interesting or entertaining news th

This one is for Matt, another dive bomber to deliver frozen fish...

just a quick Heads up to anyone with REX TD HD, 2gig update, part of which makes it p3d4 compatible.....fire up REX, you will get told there's an update, no report yet just downloading now........whoo

17 minutes ago, wain said:

thats a big download, just over 1gb...

Yep, it was a lot faster for me to download it directly from Orbx website than going through FTX Central.

Edited by Corsaire31
3 hours ago, wain said:

nearly there but daughter decides to shop online, ssllooowww now....

Haha, the joys of family life.:D

The problem with the ORBX libraries is that you are storing everything they have even if you only have a few of their products, easy for them to keep everything sorted but not so easy for us storage wise.

I should have been more specific in my earlier posting. It was Orbxlibs 160708 and its associated FTX Central 2.1 (the latest versions available at the time I write this) that has left the texture problems unresolved. With FTX Central 2.1 removing the ability to disable regions, it's apparent that some users are just now noticing the texture problems that have existed for years outside FTX regions when FTX regions are active. Prior to the FTX Central unified version, disabling FTX regions was the workaround, and for users who always disabled regions prior to flying outside FTX regions, no texture problems would have been noticed if they never flew outside FTX regions with an FTX region active. With the workaround no longer available and with the desire by Orbx to make switching regions unnecessary permanently, Orbx needs to find a solution to the problems with ground textures.

As said before, I am often flying between Orbx full regions and parts of the world covered by UTX + GEX ( In Europe or in Canada/Alaska outside FTX coverage ) and haven't found any texture problem so far...  I would think that if you have the world covered by FTX Global you wouldn't have any problems either.

So with what kind of scenery do these texture problems appear ?

14 hours ago, Corsaire31 said:

I would think that if you have the world covered by FTX Global you wouldn't have any problems

Yes, that was one of my initial thoughts, too. (I don't have FTX Global installed). However, after doing some online research, I found many users who have experienced similar texture problems with FTX Global. A summary of what seems to be happening can be found by reading FTX Global - what is it really about?, which includes a quoted response from Orbx.

Below are some visual examples of texture problems on my FSX system.

Kandahar Default.jpg

Kandahar addon airport without any active FTX region

Kandahar with Orbx.jpg

Kandahar addon airport with PNW region active

After experiencing the above texture anomaly, I did a complete reinstall of the Pacific Northwest region, but after doing so, the results were the same. Since I am the author of the Kandahar addon, I also looked at what I had put into the cvx file. The shape of the texture problem doesn't correspond to any change that I put into the cvx file. Then, I decided to see what happens to the Flight Simulator X default Kandahar with an FTX region active. The results are below.

Default OAKN 1.jpg

Default Flight Simulator X Kandahar without any active FTX region

Default OAKN 2.jpg

Default Flight Simulator X Kandahar with PNW region active

Kandahar is not the only airport in Afghanistan in which I found such a texture problem. As mentioned elsewhere online, the texture problems created by active Orbx regions can vary from one Flight Simulator X installation to another. Not all users will experience the same problems in the same places.

Edited by Soaranden

Manfred Jahn's Douglas C47 V3 public beta is available:   http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=34

I also picked up the Turboprop version of the Grumman Mallard by Milton Shupe.

The great vintage cockpit and a vocal checklist with co-pilot and stewardess.

According to the forum, it's still missing night cockpit lights which will be added by update later. Repaints from V2 should work except for the new radials, a new paintkit will be released soon.

2016-07-2211_43_49-Greenshot.jpg

2016-07-2211_44_04-Greenshot.jpg

Edited by Corsaire31
5 hours ago, Corsaire31 said:

Manfred Jahn's Douglas C47 V3 public beta is available:   http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=34

I also picked up the Turboprop version of the Grumman Mallard by Milton Shupe.

The great vintage cockpit and a vocal checklist with co-pilot and stewardess.

According to the forum, it's still missing night cockpit lights which will be added by update later. Repaints from V2 should work except for the new radials, a new paintkit will be released soon.

2016-07-2211_43_49-Greenshot.jpg

2016-07-2211_44_04-Greenshot.jpg

Looks amazing. I'll be picking this up.

5 hours ago, Kevin Firth said:

VoxATC v7 will be released shortly - it is in final testing now.

Includes many small fixes and full compatibility with P3D v3

I know this may sound a dumb question, can you use VOX ATC without using voice? I tried the demos of a few talking ATC programs and just can not get them to work....

I don't actually know, I picked up Vox precisely because I wanted something that would work by voice and I've never tried to use it any other way.  I've always wondered why more people don't use it as an ATC replacement because I found (especially with the UK radiotelephony pack which fully simulated correct ATC phraseology in the UK!) it was fantastic.  There were a few notable bugs in the last version which I hope they've fixed :)  I've recently done a full reinstall but I'' see if I can find out for you...

Cheers K

Thanks Kevin, I for some reason seem to struggle with the voice stuff, it may well just be my Bristolian accent, I actually downloaded Windows software and went through the voice training but after about 4-6 hours was getting no where, wouldnt mind getting an ATC program that worked better than the default but allowed for key tapping input....

Current Vox manual can be seen at http://voxatc.com/Content/voxATCXHelp.pdf

Just had a quick scan and I can't see anything about button control options...

However, I do know that Vox can prompt you with a correct bit of speech, and when I've had trouble with the voice recognition in the past I could just press space twice to make Vox think I'd said it :P  Best to wait for a bit more info on the new version as it is not a cheap product..

Cheers K

For those like me who like to fly on FTX Australia, there is a new update to the fantastic OzX freeware bush flying airfields and stuff :  OzX 3.5 and OzX libs 1.2 ( needs previous updates 3.0 to 3.4 already installed )

Both in one download ( 1.3 Go ) at : http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/5764-ozx-v35/

Already installed for the second part of my Down Under Tour starting in September... :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Heads up to those interested in the new Gooney Bird from Carenado.

http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/index.php?accion=product&correl=181

The DO-228 Is available now...mine is downloading as I type this. :)

Knocking on teak that I haven't volunteered for the Carenado BetaBeta Test Team...ie...hoping for a smooth bug free first release. :D

Cheers.

Matt.

First look at the aircraft.cfg:

max_number_of_stations   =    18
station_load.0   = 190,   4, 0, 0.0, pilot
station_load.1   =   0,   4, 0, 0.0, copilot
station_load.2   =   0,   3, 0, 0.0, pax 1L
station_load.3   =   0,   3, 0, 0.0, pax 1R
station_load.4   =   0,   2, 0, 0.0, pax 2L
station_load.5   =   0,   2, 0, 0.0, pax 2R
station_load.6   =   0,   1, 0, 0.0, pax 3L
station_load.7   =   0,   1, 0, 0.0, pax 3R
station_load.8   =2200,   0, 0, 0.0, pax 4L  //our heads were up our arses when we made this section...please reset to "0" as we can't be bothered.
station_load.9   =   0,   0, 0, 0.0, pax 4R
station_load.10  =   0,  -1, 0, 0.0, pax 5L
station_load.11  =   0,  -1, 0, 0.0, pax 5R
station_load.12  =   0,  -2, 0, 0.0, pax 6M
station_load.13  =   0,  -2, 0, 0.0, pax 6R
station_load.14  =   0,  -3, 0, 0.0, pax 7M
station_load.15  =   0,  -3, 0, 0.0, pax 7R
station_load.16  =   0,   5, 0, 0.0, fwd 200lbs max
station_load.17  =   0,  -4, 0, 0.0, aft 330lbs max

***Also note how Carenado did the lazy "all seats on the center line" stations...the left and right of references are all at "0". :(

I am going to fix those in my .cfgs making them actual left and right of center by 1 foot or so...it's not neccesary, but it permits you to load things inncorrectly, which is more realistic.

[Reference Speeds]
flaps_up_stall_speed   = 82
full_flaps_stall_speed = 65
cruise_speed          = 150 //we like to set cruise speed way off...reset this to 190kts if you'd like a realistic speed here.
max_indicated_speed   = 225
max_mach              = 0.4

and last thing I changed was the autopilot default vertical speed from "0" to "800"

Always something with carenado cfgs...this one is not as bad as some i've seen. :)

Edited by Captain Coffee

Hey Kevin, I haven't actually run it yet... Only had a chance to look over the files this morning before dashing out to work. But I will be using it in FSX. I know everyone claims Carenados have issues. I don't have those issues with my birds with my mainly VFR usage anyhow...

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works... Naturally, I'll put something in the screenshot Thread about it tonight probably after I bash it around a little bit.

Also, I'm going to do some more work on the station loads... It only has 14 seats right now, should have 19... And all of the seats are located on the center line. I hate that and I'm going to fix all of that. If anybody wants the revised station load after I fix it let me know.

-------------------------------------------

Fixed positions based on eyeballing several diagrams of the cabin layout of the -100 model per Carenado's cabin layout...ie...two seats to center/left in the last two rows to leave room for a rear lavoratory.

I took into account aisle width, distance below wing root, and expanded length of the cabin area in both directions as the stock version was way to short for a 50 foot long aircraft.

All measurements are "eyeballed" based on specs published in diagrams detailing cabin width and heights...but not actual seat locations...did my best with it estimating the forward and aft positions.

[weight_and_balance]
max_gross_weight         =  13250
empty_weight             =  6500

reference_datum_position =  0.0, 0, 0
empty_weight_CG_position =  0.5, 0, 1

Moments of Inertia
empty_weight_pitch_MOI   = 20000
empty_weight_roll_MOI    = 22000
empty_weight_yaw_MOI     = 25000
empty_weight_coupled_MOI =     0

max_number_of_stations   =    50
station_load.0   =   170, 11, -1.4, -4.5, pilot
station_load.1   =     0, 11,  1.4, -4.5, copilot

station_load.2   =   0,   9,   1.6, -6.0, pax 1L
station_load.3   =   0,   9,  -1.6, -6.0, pax 1R
station_load.4   =   0,   5,   1.6, -6.0, pax 2L
station_load.5   =   0,   5,  -1.6, -6.0, pax 2R
station_load.6   =   0,   2,   1.6, -6.0, pax 3L
station_load.7   =   0,   2,  -1.6, -6.0, pax 3R
station_load.8   =   0,   0,   1.6, -6.0, pax 4L
station_load.9   =   0,   0,  -1.6, -6.0, pax 4R
station_load.10  =   0,  -3,   1.6, -6.0, pax 5L
station_load.11  =   0,  -3,  -1.6, -6.0, pax 5R
station_load.12  =   0,  -7,  -1.6, -6.0, pax 6R
station_load.13  =   0,  -7,     0, -6.0, pax 6C
station_load.14  =   0,  -10,    0, -6.0, pax 7C
station_load.15  =   0,  -10, -1.6, -6.0, pax 7R
station_load.16  =     0,   15,    0,  -5.5, fwd 200lbs max
station_load.17  =     0,  -13,    0,  -4.0, aft 330lbs max

Cheers...despite some lighting systems issues that have cropped up on me, it's a pretty nice aircraft.

Matt

Edited by Captain Coffee