anybody got an idea as to what it is....?

hi all, i suspect this will be one for the more experienced users, but you're all welcome to try and solve the mystery!!

i'm having real difficulty with my FS9 at the moment. Every time i launch it and create a random flight, or even select a pre-saved flight that i know worked last time i used it, the game CTD's. Checking the crash log and looking at the files generated, it says that "a fatal error occured and that MSVCR70.DLL is the culprit.

This is where i have the problem because, if i start FS9 and do the DEFAULT flight from Seattle in the 182 and then change to any other aircraft, the sim works reasonably stably for some time. However, only in the Seattle area. If i try to change the scenery massively (i.e. load up the Alps or anywhere else in the world for that matter) i get the CTD again with the fatal error message.

I've disabled all scenery right down to the very very basics and still get the issue. I've done a full defrag and clean of the registry with AusLogics Disk Defrag and BoostSpeed softwares and it seemed to improve slightly the stability but not greatly as i still get the CTD when choosing random airports around the world.

I've also replaced the MSVCR70.DLL files in both the C:WindowsSystem32 folder and the main FS9 folder without any joy. The sim was working perfectly before i went away for RAF training and nothing has changed since as my machine was locked down so never used.

Short of a full reinstall of FS9, all the scenery and add-ons, can anybody suggest anything else to try that might help??

Thanks in advance.

I just Googled the file name and got a ton of hits. I didn't chase any down as I'm off on some chores, but it looks like fertile ground for some research. Good luck, Simi. I know this is maddening. I've fought the battle of the ATC.dll CTDs many times. It'll drive you nuts.

If you solve this, please let us know here.

John

I just Googled the file name and got a ton of hits. I didn't chase any down as I'm off on some chores, but it looks like fertile ground for some research.

thanks john, i chased pretty much every link on Google as had the same idea and did the search on the .dll as a first call, but unfortunately most of them say to replace the file - which i have, numerous times. i'll keep trying to crack this nut the hard way i guess...

Hi Simi,

I recently had a similar batch of CTD's when selecting flights. The way I cured it was to delete the FS9.cfg and let the sim generate a new one.

Cheers

I'll second that, Mutley.

Simi,

About a year ago, I had a similar problem. But instead, my flight simulator worked everywhere apart from the Seattle area, and just CTD everytime I created a flight within the Seattle area. This really annoyed me because I had only just purchased FlyTampa's Seattle Tacoma. But a simple regeneration of the FS9.cfg, like Mutley said, did the trick for me. :wink:

Good Luck

George

Hi Simi,

I recently had a similar batch of CTD's when selecting flights. The way I cured it was to delete the FS9.cfg and let the sim generate a new one.

been there, done that and bought the t-shirt im afraid Joe. I think i'm about to throw the towel in and spend most of tomorrow (and another day of my relaxation leave!) reinstalling FS9 :wink:

If you haven't already installed, I found quite a few avsim topics on it, all that led to this. Might work:

http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt7899.html

Hi CA, thanks for the pointer, but i'm afraid that's not the error i was getting, although it did involve the same file.

I've also seen that page before and followed numerous AVSim topics to no end. Its looking ever more likely that i'll need to re-install now.

Does anybody know a way to back up the Aircraft folder so that all guages, sounds and associated modules are saved with them so as not having to reinstall each and every aircraft again (i've got 397 main aircraft, with god knows how many variants of them within the folders!)

Depends how you are going to re-install Simi.

If you use the FS uninstaller then the aircraft/effects/gauges will not get deleted so they should still be there when you reinstall.

You can always take a back up of these folders and the modules folder if you want to be on the safe side :wink:

Cheers

Depends how you are going to re-install Simi.

If you use the FS uninstaller then the aircraft/effects/gauges will not get deleted so they should still be there when you reinstall.

You can always take a back up of these folders and the modules folder if you want to be on the safe side :yes:

Cheers

Mut, i never know this! I'll take a back up, but looks like i'm left only with a re-install. So far my 59.7Gig FS9 folder is backing up to my external 640gb RAID so its just a matter of time now... approx 2hrs according to the wizard any longer and i'll get bored and go to :wink:

That's tough Simi, it's not as though time is a luxury atm.

Good luck with it. Sometimes I despair, the sim works one minute then needs a reinstall the next. Grrrr

ok, so here i am 2 hours after starting the full re-install of FS9 - i decided to run it clean before wasting any more time installing add-ons should it fail...

First boot of FS9, all seemed well. Booted into Seattle in the C172, 5 minute flight, all ok - so far no progress as it did this before. Ended that flight, same C172, different airport - Chicago O'Hare. Loaded, panel shown, basic scenery loadsthen......CTD :mrhappy: ah yes, my old friend teh MSVCR70.DLL error has returned!

So, thats it' FS9 was not the cause of the issue, it cant be. That leaves only XP or the MS Visual Basic Runtime files (MSVCR70.dll is a C++ runtime according to MSDN) as the culprit.

so, XP disk is now in, and i'm at the end of my tether right now. Oh the joys of Windows!

just a quick update for you all...if interested

Xp installed and loaded. SP2 now downloading and then the updates. Finally it'll be ATI drivers and... eventually (hopefully??), FS9 time again.