Amazing, i can't explain this guys home built simulator!

can't explain this guys home built simulator,
every time i watch videos from him; im just stunned; i cant tell what he's got going there,
but he's got one heck of immersion going like Ive never seen before;

enough with words; just watch for yourself,

Pat's  P47 Thunderbolt

the first time i saw his video's i couldn’t understand what i was looking at,
later after watching his day flight i could see the monitors join together;
but at night; it’s hard to spot; which give a superb immersion sensation
aside from the monitors setup; he's got really detailed cockpit there
(NE is only second fiddle in this video)

night flying is an experience all by itself, there a really nice article i came by - Night Flying
not to toot our own horn; but we do render a pretty decent night;
with a spectacular light show over major areas; as close as we can get to real life
(there's a demo available online (bit old though); give it a go see how you like it first http://nightenvironment.com/freeware.html )

It's a fantastic set up he has there.

I rarely fly at night but I might allow myself to be converted after seeing it ;)

I was the same till I tried NE. I still rarely fly "dead of night" but fly at dusk and shortly after quite often now...and enjoy seeing the lights come on. Other than small unlit strips, most airfields are easier to spot at night as well...it's the traffic spotting that gets nervous...but, even then the glowing and blinking aircraft lights are usually easier to see than trying to spot a small black dot against a blue and white day sky.

What I still dislike is starting a flight in pitch black...gah...no scenery, and it is initially disorienting for me finding bearings that way.

• Like 1

Couple of notes about night simulators and night flying from a personal experience point of view:

1. My first simulator ride (discounting the Link Trainer) was a flight in the Air Canada DC8 sim at Toronto. This would be in the late seventies. In those days all they could do was simulate night flight because the technology was not in place to depict daylight scenery. All you got was motion (really neat to rotate and listen to the sound of the slipstream stop as the nose gear doors closed) and pinpricks of light that showed the relationship to the ground.

2. When I was training to fly at night, I asked my instructor the obvious question: "So we train for engine failures during the day, how do you handle one at night?" His answer, obviously honed on numerous first-timers, like me, was: "Really simple. Just follow all the daytime procedures and look for a really black place which will probably be a field, provided it isn't a lake. Set yourself up for the approach and when the altimeter reads approximately fifty feet AGL, turn on the landing lights. If you don't like what you see, turn them off".

The simulator in this thread looks the cat's PJ's. The shots of the inside of the cockpit look like he's taken a real cockpit and rigged instruments behind the real facia. Check out the green protective paint on the (aluminum?) frame and the control cable tunnels coming off the quadrant. It really is a great cockpit.

That brings me to inquire whatever happened to the MH member who was building a Spitfire cockpit. I must look up the thread and see how he's doing.