Airbus Aerosort 320 or a Boeing

Hi Wayne,

I am so far behind  you with the A320 you so not confident of any reply but can't you set the aircraft state in the MCDU or config to whatever stage you wish to start at?  Or is that that just a silly dream?! 

You could be correct there Joe. I do recall reading something about finishing a portion of the setup completely then saving. Have to reread a bit. Not flown yet but am enjoying learning the set up.

Lot going on at the moment as you know so time seems to be of a premium.

Wayne

Ok then just a quick question.... the tutorial deals with a Managed landing. Can some one please explain how to change from that to come in on a approach that is different from the original flightplan.. 2 examples are ..

1 using ATC and they want me to land at a different runway...

2 no glideslope... is it just a case of get down to the level on the plate and then fly in by hand?

I am used to just GA and capturing an ILS so just wondering how you manage the equivilant in the Airbus...

Also Navigraph... I am confused as to why I need to update this as whats changed in sim? Is Navigragh a good place to get plates from for the airports?

Thanks

Wayne

I might be able to give you a general answer as I am no expert by far,

1. You can ask ATC for the other runway or just change the info in the flight computer on the fly. Same as if they tell you to skip a part of your flight plan you just enter the direct to your next waypoint or whatever ATC gives you.

2. No ILS, follow the information on the chart. You can still use the AP HDG and Alt to lessen your workload.

3. In the real world the Nav info changes constantly and NaviGraph keeps up with it. In the sim it is up to you if you need to change it every year, if anything some intersections or approaches and so on might differ from RW flightplans, I would think a hard core simmer or a student would want them up to date.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Cheers Brett I will look into changing on the fly...

Not sure how to control hdg and alt yet... easy in GA but not sure in 320 yes..

I think I just need access to airport diagrams showing heading and alt for the approach...

Thanks...

Wayne

Hi Wayne, I can answer a few of your questions.

1. Changing the approach. This one can be done several ways. The easiest way is to change the approach in the MCDU. To do this just click on the flight plan button, then the arrival airport ICAO. (You can also just click the 'airport' button for the same effect.)

This will bring up the list of approaches. Just select the required approach along with the needed STAR. Once you've chosen that, you can select 'temporary insert' on the bottom right button of the MCDU screen. The route will turn yellow. You can then remove any out of place waypoints .) once you're happy, select insert and your done. The aircraft will now fly the new approach.

If you want to deal with manual vectors from ATC, just select the correct runway as above, but not a star. (Scroll down the page to see the 'NO STAR' option' that will set the approach for you, once your lined up. To follow the vectors, go to the autopilot and using your mouse scroll wheel, fail in the requested heading, then right click on the heading knob. That moves the aircraft from managed mode to 'optional' mode. The same applies for altitude. As a rule, told to me by an Airbus pilot, you push the autopilot knobs to put the aircraft in charge, you pull the knobs towards you to put yourself in charge. In Aerosoft terms, left click for man ganged mode, right click for you.

As for navigraph, as Brett mentioned, the aircrafts internal navigation database is updated 13 times a year. You don't have to update it if you don't want to, but for some airports do get changes in procedure. (Heathrow lost its Dover departures last year to b replaced by detling instead). I keep my aircraft fairly up to date by downloading updates every three months. Aerosoft's navdata pro is great for that because it covers all my installed aircraft.

Hope this helps. Any other questions, just ask.

Jess B

Hey Jess I really love that push pull motto :) Another indicator is if there is a dot and dash lines the plane will use the MCDU - otherwise it will have numbers and you're in charge of the autopilot.

The airbus is a pleasure to fly and it's very automated once you learn the MCDU and autopilot. Autoland MMmmm warm fuzzy feeling lol.

Thanks Jess...very helpful...2 questions..

1 can I use that method if I just want to get sorted and practice approaches..glideslope capture etc?

2 at a certain I am required to put in qnh for destination... not sure where I get that..I use ASN for weather if that makes a difference.

I think with this post and the one you answered for someone elsewhere regarding glideslope I should be ok...

Not had ATC on tet though.. they could balls it all up....

Wayne

Thanks Jess...very helpful...2 questions..

1 can I use that method if I just want to get sorted and practice approaches..glideslope capture etc?

2 at a certain I am required to put in qnh for destination... not sure where I get that..I use ASN for weather if that makes a difference.

I think with this post and the one you answered for someone elsewhere regarding glideslope I should be ok...

Not had ATC on tet though.. they could balls it all up....

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I use ASN for weather too and the QNH can be found in the ASN window after entering the destination airport i.e. EGNX. Or if in game; bring up the ASN weather option and you should have destination weather in there - it will also tell you there too I believe; if you have entered a flight plan into ASN beforehand.

I just open the ASN window itself and take a look :) normally displayed in the bottom right where is says 'pressure' - the QNH is the bigger number the other one is pressure in inches.

9c2d6f863f4803dfa4c109c3dd6c643b.png

You can use the manual autopilot to fly the plane - but you may have to enter departure/arrival airports in the MCDU first. Then it will know what frequency to program when on approach. Never tried it myself as normally just do small flights to practice my flying in the bus e.g. EGKK -> EGCC

Hope this helps

Jim

Thanks Jim thats great.... I tend to practice with new AC between Bristol and Cardiff but these may be too close in a bus...

Wayne

Yeah I was like that too but with EGNX and EGBB - is a bit short. I'm not sure if you could plan a short route and only go up to cruise altitude of say 5k feet so it's easy to descend to approach altitude of say around 3k feet.

Could always see if you can do touch and goes too but might be hard in a tube :)

• 1 month later...

?????

Touch 'n goes harder in a "tube" than in some little puddle-jumper? :huh:

The radius of the turns will be larger in view of the fact that, even with hefty amounts of flap, the speed is likely to be higher, but otherwise there's no significant difference from a training perspective.

Which is why for years BA used Prestwick for that very purpose whilst training new pilots. Busy airports with runways long enough for large aircraft to land normally prohibit airliners from doing touch 'n goes for rather obvious reasons. ;)

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

Never tried it to be honest - my assumption may be incorrect then aye? I will have to try this at some point :)

In GA the circuit height is usually around 1-2k feet above ground level but what kind of altitude would a jet need to perform a circuit?