A320...couple of questions

Really liking this but have a coue of things....

RADNAV. do I put ILS freq in there...example EGGD is 110.15... would that be in there?

TRANSITION ALT...when do I go from that to altitude for GS capture?

FS2CREW....do I turn off Airbus checklists and if so how do I start them in FS2CREW?

Other than that I think I am getting the hang of it..

Wayne

I'm not 100% but here's my stab at it...

RADNAV I believe you do tune the ILS in there but I also think this occurs automatically from the approach page (been a while since I flew the bus)

Transition altitude I never hold at I just continue descent - but this is the altitude you would change the baro reference to the QNH value of the destination airport. Above this altitude it gets the standard setting STD.

FS2Crew once again it's been a while but yes turn off the airbus checklist as you will be using the fs2crew functions.

To start the fs2crew you may have to read the manual but there is a click spot that opens the fs2crew module. Once opened you go to a setup page that tells where to start. It takes approximately 15 minutes to start taxi with the checklists etc. I think you will be best to read the manual maybe look on Youtube for a tutorial or something too.

Once you have done it once or twice you will be using it with ease. Don't forget to look at items you need to complete and what items your first officer performs too.

Good luck!

Hey Wayne,

1. Ils frequency is automatically tuned if you've chosen your arrival runway in the 'Flt Plan' page. If you want to set it manually, just type the frequency in to the rad nav page, and hit the right key. The ils text on the mcdu will be displayed in a larger font that the rest.

2. Transition altlitude is easy. The aircraft will blink the pressure setting to get hour attnetion when it wants to be changed.

3. Fs2crew. Well I'm a bit rusty, but I believe you install the fs2crew then you select 'fs2crew' using the Aerosoft configuator found in your 'Aerosoft' folder in your start menu. To get the fs2crew running, check the fs2crew documentation. :)

Best wishes,

Jess B

Thanks both...I will tead manual again.. I have set up FS2CREW like it said...set a button to open etc... I just thought I would need to press something to get the ball rolling.. maybe I missed it... there was a 30 minute countdown to takeoff...

Thanks for clearing up the others though..

Wayne

Hi, Wayne!

I've no clue about an Airbus, but Transition Altitude et. al. Is something that's common to all airliners (and, indeed, other aircraft in an IFR scenario). :)

> "TRANSITION ALT...when do I go from that to altitude for GS capture?"

Er, if you're descending towards the glideslope you will usually be at the Standard pressure (1013 millibars) and need to be aware of the Transition LEVEL, not the TA.

The usual definitions are something like this:

Transition altitude is when you're climbing - you would switch from local QNH to standard QNH (1013).

Transition level is when you're descending - you would switch from standard QNH to local QNH

The snag is that although the TA is fixed (and available from the charts) the TL is often set by ATC according to the local barometric pressure, so you need to ascertain what it is today, if you don't want to bust ATC clearances. :whis:

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

Ok thanks Brian, currently whilst learning the Bus I am not using ATC at all.

On one page on the MCDU I have to enter the TA, I am sure its to do with the descent, I guess I will just put the figure on the chart.

I am looking for a good tutorial that doesnt waffle about reading plates, any good suggestions? Dont mind if its PDF or you tube.

Wayne

I wouldn't know where to start with the bus now - it's been so long. I have been flying the 737 and the 777 - Boeing and Airbus have different ways of approaching things that I would have to learn again if I was to fly again.

Hi Wayne!

> "On one page on the MCDU I have to enter the TA, I am sure its to do with the descent..."

When flying IFR I can't think of any reason why the TA should have anything at all to do with the descent. :rolleyes: The main reason for entering the TA is so that the tin brain can nag you if you forget to change to standard pressure on passing the TA.

> "I guess I will just put the figure on the chart."

Except that the only figure you will usually find there is the TA and not the TL, and for the descent it's the TL you need.

> "I am looking for a good tutorial that doesnt waffle about reading plates, any good suggestions? Dont mind if its PDF or you tube."

I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for, but if it's chart symbology and so on then each vendor of chart information (Jeppesen, Lido, etc.) produces a very informative pdf document that explains all the symbols and the presentation: just Google for the one that corresponds to your charts. :)

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

Hi Wayne!

One final thought about knowing the current Transition Level for your destination airport. If you're not using ATC then it's possible to form a pretty good guesstimate of what the TL will be using a useful little table — I did a brief write-up about it which you will find in the Commercial Sim Pilots' Centre.

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/file/5377-how-to-calculate-transition-levelpdf/

The document also includes the details of how to do the full calculation yourself, if you're looking for the closest possible approach to reality.    ^_^

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

Hi Brian

My bad, the TA goes on the takeoff page of the MCDU, Iwas confused, thats what being 50 does.....thanks for sticking with me though, great help as always, thanks..

Wayne

Sorry about that mate. You know I started FS back in mid 90's and have never bothered with anything but GA. This bird has really bitten me...I have a tube bug.. I am so immersed in the whole set up right through until shut down..still have GA for when theres not much time.

May get a PMDG AC at some point in the future but theres no rush. Still loving and learning the bus I even fired sim up earlier and just set everything up and had GSX servicing the aircraft and programming MCDU...didnt even takeoff..weird eh?

Wayne

Not at all because that's what makes the tubes different to GA - ground work is what it's about in tubes as they fly themselves.

Once you know about the APU and whats usually needed in a tube it all makes sense when you get a new one.

Stick with the bus until you get bored then maybe get a PMDG - maybe the NGX because that's a fantastic plane.

I fly for a VA and that gives the tubes more purpose. FlyUK is the one I'm part of. I fly the 737 for them atm.

@Wayne

> "...thats what being 50 does..."

Ah yes, I dimly remember it being like that.... :D

@Jim

> "....ground work is what it's about in tubes as they fly themselves."

WHAAAAAT?!?!!

It's OK, it's OK, the red mist is beginning to clear from my eyes. You're just trying to wind me up, I see that now. :rolleyes:

If they're flying themselves, then clearly your reality settings are down around kiddies' level, you're not using real world weather, you have no random malfunctions enabled, you're not being controlled by ATC, you don't have a copy of the QRH ready for immediate use, and you have never experienced the need to divert.

As any experienced airliner Captain will tell you, prior planning is all about being able to cope with any of the aforementioned unexpected problems, not about letting the thing "fly itself"! Or, as the old RAF saying so pithily puts it, "Prior planning prevents piss-poor performance".

But it's OK: I have long got over the shock of discovering that so many simmers seem to think in that sort of way. ;)

Cheers,

bruce
a.k.a. brian747

Ouch Brian lol! I understand the ATC part and I do turn off VNAV and LNAV on occasion but for the beginner in tubes the ground work to me is the most daunting bit.

As for failures I don't have them turned on as my plane is perfect and would never fail ;)

Even with ATC - you only have to twist 3 knobs and you're sorted - wind you up a little more aye hehe :)

<grin>   Apologies, Jim, but over the years I've become a little oversensitive to comments that airliners are "boring" — because that's the exact opposite of the truth, if you fly them realistically with all the real world features turned on. (On my approach into Keflavik for my Christmas flight yesterday I had to do a last-minute go-around thanks to some dumb AI plane crawling onto the end of the runway just as I was about to land there... Happily, of course, during my preparations I had entered the GA data into the FMC just in case, so it was no big deal).

But a perfect aircraft? Never seen one of those! (Never flown one, either).     :P

Bah, humbug: I probably need a glass of Christmas spirits to cheer me up (any excuse...).     ;)

Cheers,

B.

See that for me would be a big deal.. I am still struggling with landings...I capture the GS but nothing happens...going to try the tutorial again..must be something I am missing..fund the post Jess put up for someone else that was having the same problem....I am sure in a few weeks/months it will all click into place..I think the challenge of learning is what I am enjoying...

Wayne

See that for me would be a big deal.. I am still struggling with landings...I capture the GS but nothing happens...going to try the tutorial again..must be something I am missing..fund the post Jess put up for someone else that was having the same problem....I am sure in a few weeks/months it will all click into place..I think the challenge of learning is what I am enjoying...

Wayne

Few things to look for and check...

Make sure you have put the ILS frequency into the MCDU and you have set the course heading too (not sure if this is done in the MCDU too or on the autopilot been a while)

Also, when you approach the runway, you need to make sure you are not above the glideslope - normally there is a pink dot on the bottom of the display and that is the localiser indicator. Then there is a dot on the vertical part that is the glideslope. If you are above this then you will not capture it. 

You also need to capture the localiser first, before clicking the button to capture the glideslope - this used to catch me out all the time. 

And one last thing I can think of is the 'LS' button or something (once again been a while) you have to click this just before approach. 

I need to get in the bus again and give it another try - it's been far too long. 

Brian, tubes are far from boring even when flying the 'easy' way - but once it gets too easy and you have practice then making it more difficult with AI, VATSIM, Failures all refreshes the fun :) That's the joys of sims, you can make it as easy or difficult as you like. Realistically in the real world we all know other factors other than the plane itself makes it a tough job for a pilot. 

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim, I reread the tutorial and you can see on another post I manged to land in Bournemouth but went a bit too far, had to cross country back but it is improving and far from boring.....it will just take time to get it all together but its fun....

Wayne

The overshoot could be a few things...

Approach/landing speed is too fast so check your Vapp speed.

Did your spoilers rise after landing? Not sure if you have to arm them in the bus or not?

Did you disengage autothrottle after landing and apply reverse thrusts? Reverse thrusts can be applied by holding down F2 :) tjen watch them engines open up.

Did you touch down too late after the threshold? Sometimes the flare can cause a float and takes you too far.

Also, did you land against the wind? If you had a tailwind it may have pushed you along a bit.

Good that you're getting the hang of things.

I watched froogles video and I did all correct however I believe I was to high which would mean not getting in the GS and the going in manually to quick...will try later..will be a good feeling when I get it right again...

Wayne