Steam Update - FSX Classic Won't Start

When I started me PC today, a Steam update window appeared automatically and cycled through its process for some time.  Now my classic FSX won't start - it fails with a fatal error before the first menu comes up, but of course FSX-SE starts and runs just fine.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but I'm the suspicious type.  I'm thinking something in their update probably is affecting my other FSX.   

Does anyone have any idea what I can try to fix this?  

John

I seriously doubt the issue is connected to the update of Steam. The window that pops up when Steam starts is just an update for the Steam Client, not for the games, so no FSX files, neither Legacy of SE, should have been touched by it. Game updates are downloaded and applied in the background. The only way of seeing that a game is being updated is by seeing a download in progress in the Steam Client.

Could it be a dodgy windows update installed during the same startup, or do you have those turned off?

This Steam update came in as soon as the machine booted, not when starting any application.  

I do have windows (Win7-64) automatic updates set on.

FSX-SE starts continues to start and run fine but MS FSX dies with a fatal error before the first menu shows up.

John

I use steam for other stuff...it does auto update the steam part and amy games attached to it... however for me it has no effect on fsx classic... are you sure nothing else has changed?

This Steam update came in as soon as the machine booted, not when starting any application.

I do have windows (Win7-64) automatic updates set on.

FSX-SE starts continues to start and run fine but MS FSX dies with a fatal error before the first menu shows up.

John

Unless you specifically tell it not to Steam starts as part of the boot up sequence, so the Steam update popped up when windows automatically launched Steam for you.

Any error messages in the Windows logs??

John,

I agree with the coincidence factor as there is nothing a Steam client update can do to affect FSX and cause it to stop working.  Have you tried the obvious of deleting your fsx.cfg file and letting it rebuild itself on FSX startup?

Cheers

Andrew

Yes, tried that right away - no joy.

John

Some time back (quite some time), I seem to recall something similar with my FSX installation. Now I'm scratching my head to remember what I did to remedy it.

If I am having any issues with FSX, I will also do some basic computer maintenance, particularly a defrag of the HDD.

Cheers

Andrew

I think the repair option is a good idea and will try that.  I haven't had much time to fool with it lately and FSX-SE is working OK so not an urgent project at the moment.  

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

John

John,

These two links might be of some further insight or assistance. Forgive me for pointing you there.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/441861-fsx-fatal-error-on-startup-also-need-help-decoding-appcrashview/

http://www.avsim.com/files/file/65-avsim-crash-to-desktop-guide-for-fsx-p3d-fs9/

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1