How big is your hanger.......and what is your favorite?

How many aircraft do you have in your virtual hanger?

Also, I am curious as to if you have 'too many', does this generally affect the performance of FSX or cause crashes...?  For me, I seem to have issues if I have 'too many' and tend to rotate the aircraft, but then I am no computer expert and maybe it's just me!!

My current favorite is the Just Flight Panavia Tornado.

Martin

Hi Martin.

I have a great many aircraft in my collection, some go back a while and there is a huge range quality.  I have limited myself to RAF aircraft only as a way to stop myself from buying too many aircraft, but the history of the RAF is long, and I have a great many RAF aircraft!

Currently I am building a new FSX install on a new PC and plan to limit my self further with this build, and this new limit will be based on quality.  I have reviewed the JF Tornado GR1 for this site, as well as the JF Canberra PR3 and the Milviz Phantom.  All of these products are of the first quality and these three will be my first install on the new PC.

Another of my personal favorites is the SkySim Hawk T1 it is nowhere as good at the GR1 but is fun to fly and has a red white and blue smoke system that is fun to use whilst flying in a Red Arrows skin.  Unfortunately SkySim has long gone and the aircraft requires an online activation, so I am hoping to port this over from my old PC but I am not optimistic about doing this successfully. However the guys that built the GR1 and the PR3 are working on a Hawk at the moment and from the little I have seen of it at the Cosford show, it looks to be a great piece of work.

With the GR1, how are you getting on with the rockable throttles?  I have found it hard to map this feature to a throttle quadrant, have you managed it?

JG

Gah.

140+ payware aircraft at this morning rough count of my back up disk.

I uninstall planes not currently being used frequently as my SSD is nearly full, but I never experienced any performance issues "having too many planes".

Hard to pick a favorite. I enjoy anything with a Very Very detailed VC, nice details rendered all over, HD textures, and great sounds.  Ie. pretty much anything recent by Carenado (some of their older heavily discounted stuff is kind of weak in all those regards) or Alabeo, Anything by A2A/Wings of Power, All my Nemith and Milviz copters are lovely, and most of the Just Flight stuff coming out these days is brilliant (they are working with some good subcontractors like Aeroplane Heaven and releasing some very nice stuff lately)...and Captain Sim ofc.

If I had to pick Just One plane as a favorite...I couldn't...I tried and I can't.

But in hindsight, and my plan going forward, is to do as J.G suggests and try to stick to quality from here out.

I have some old stuff purchased "on sale" that hardly ever got flown after a few initial Fun Flights.

I will be rebuilding my FSX system soon once I locate a good deal on a large SSD, and plan to be more selective about what I install.

Cheers.

I have stopped counting because even having a rough idea of the money I have spent would scare me to death, and I haven't even started to think about scenery and other add-ons.  :yikes:

I have a two drawer filing cabinet full of boxed add-on aircraft and scenery and then there is the downloads, so that puts the aircraft count alone above 250.

Most of the aircraft, if not all, are installed and all of the scenery is installed.  The only performance issue I have encountered which I can attribute to this level of installs is the length of time it takes FSX to start up as it reads all the dll files.

Now, the question I have is, "Do I have an obsession with this hobby?". :woot:  :blink2:

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 2

I have quite a few but recently I had a clear out of all the old stuff than now looks really bad or is not a very good product, I must have about 100 if you include the different variations, you get some and they have normal, skis, amphibious etc. I dont think just having them installed makes any difference in your performance but it will effect your loading times at startup.

As for a favourite it depends on my mood really, if its looks then it my be Carenado, Alabeo, RealAir etc, Or it may be the Airbus and the setting up as well as the flight, or A2A for the fantastic system as well as the looks and not forgetting Accusim. Then theres the older stuff like the Fokker or LOUD like the Electra.

With regards to your question Andrew if you are like me it is getting near to an obsession.......

Wayne

Hi Martin.

I have a great many aircraft in my collection, some go back a while and there is a huge range quality.  I have limited myself to RAF aircraft only as a way to stop myself from buying too many aircraft, but the history of the RAF is long, and I have a great many RAF aircraft!

Currently I am building a new FSX install on a new PC and plan to limit my self further with this build, and this new limit will be based on quality.  I have reviewed the JF Tornado GR1 for this site, as well as the JF Canberra PR3 and the Milviz Phantom.  All of these products are of the first quality and these three will be my first install on the new PC.

Another of my personal favorites is the SkySim Hawk T1 it is nowhere as good at the GR1 but is fun to fly and has a red white and blue smoke system that is fun to use whilst flying in a Red Arrows skin.  Unfortunately SkySim has long gone and the aircraft requires an online activation, so I am hoping to port this over from my old PC but I am not optimistic about doing this successfully. However the guys that built the GR1 and the PR3 are working on a Hawk at the moment and from the little I have seen of it at the Cosford show, it looks to be a great piece of work.

With the GR1, how are you getting on with the rockable throttles?  I have found it hard to map this feature to a throttle quadrant, have you managed it?

JG

Hi there!

I must admit that I was not getting on too well with the rockable throttles.  As I am still learning the Tornado, at the moment, I am using the  /plus shift keys to activate the reverse thrust.  I still have a long way to go, but I love the plane.  I did buy it when it first came out and it was unusable on my PC due to the low frame rates.  I am glad that they have updated it to make it more friendly to lower spec. pc's.

As for the Hawk, that one is on my list to buy when it comes out, and my wish list is for them to do a Jaguar and Buccaneer to the same standard as the Tornado! 

Martin

A Buccaneer would be fantastic wouldn't it!  my wishlist would include a Victor, a sadly forgotten aircraft for FSX.  There is one but it is very old and very basic.  I guess it wouldn't be a popular aircraft so I guess they would go for something with a wide appeal. I think that is why they chose the Hawk.

I have problems with the rockable throttles.  I use a Saitek X55 throttle and I haven't worked out how to get it to cover the full range of settings.  I have ended up using the VC throttles, which is fiddly as you cant move them as a pair, they must be moved independently. 

Being able to move two throttles together would vastly improve the Tornado's VC as it would any complex sim.  I think it is a feature that often gets overlooked. 

My FSX virtual hangar contains two aircraft: the PMDG NGX and the PMDG 777 (OK, with variations of each). But I only fly those 2% of the time; the other 98% I fly the (PSX) 747-400 (which is on another machine and doesn't need FSX, so it's not exactly in my virtual hangar). :cool:

A total of three aircraft seems about right to me, since I'm a procedural simmer who follows real world practice as closely as is possible. So I also respect the old saying amongst pilots -

"Every pilot only has three type ratings in him".

YMMV, and all that jazz. ;)

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

I dread to think! I had to split the hangar as there were so many, even so FSX still takes a good 15 mins to load. There are probably around 1'000 aircraft split into the main FSX folder and a reserve folder on my external drive. The external stuff is aircraft that rarely get used, with the main folder for the ready to fly stuff. I did try to count them all once but gave up!

I have had a lot over the years but clean them out once in awhile. There's no sense in keeping them, it's easy enough to download them again when needed. Much of the freeware were good but once the thrill of flying that particular aircraft wore off they were mothballed. I would say that my A2A aircraft get used the most, both the military and GA are a cut above most and keep me pretty happy, especially with all the improved scenery installed. I'm in flight sim heaven with just the top ten aircraft I fly.  :)

There are something like 40 to 50 add-on aircraft in my hangar.  It's been a while since I've flown it, but the Carenado Mooney is still my favorite.  It got me through a couple of Air Hauler startups.  It's fast, carries more than a 172, and fun to fly.

I have noticed on prior FSX installations that moving unused aircraft to a boneyard folder shortened load times.  There were 100 or so pay and freeware planes loaded in that instance.  Moving just 10 or so made a noticeable difference in load speed.

I'm in GA props/turboprops only for now ( may go into helos at some point...) and I choose to have a few planes I use often and where I feel "at home" rather than having many I would use one hour once in a while. I had downloaded many freeware in the past years but have seriously cleaned up files to keep only the very good ones. I would say I use around 25 airplanes, a few ultralights and a couple of boats (Deltasim).

The payware come mostly from Alabeo and Carenado (mostly Cessnas + Waco and D17), and a couple vintage planes from Golden Age Sims. Also use my Aerosoft Twin Otter, Realair Lancair and Flight 1 Islander.

For the freeware, most used is the C47 V2 from Manfred Jahn, and also Milton Shupe D18S, Cessnas 150L,  310 B and Q, Grumman Goose OzX redux, Pilatus PC 6, Ryan Navion, Ford Tri-Motor, DH89 Dragon Rapide, Auster J1, Tiger Moth, Gipsy Moth, Stampe and Robin DR 400. Recently added the Corby Starlet I discovered during my Aussie tour.

Moving just 10 or so made a noticeable difference in load speed.

I don't want to shorten too much the loading time, otherwise it would be too short to go get the drinks and peanuts/chips/cookies I need for the flight duration.  :)

• Like 2

I am not sure how many different aircraft that I have, but I have uninstalled those that I don't really enjoy. I have come to appreciate only those that are hi quality in both systems modeled and visuallly. I have removed JF 757, JF 767 and JF Mosquito among others. All three were rather disappointing. My favorite would have to be a 3 way tie between Flight 1 Super 80 ( as some of you no doubt know), Iris F-14 and Iris A-10 Warthog. All three are super hi quality, hi-res and have an amazing amount of functionally working systems.

Great post this, it has made me look at what junk I have and what I actually use. I have now got it down to only 22 individual aircraft plus their different variants.

All quality ones including one from Iris that I really have not used but will give it a whirl.

Currently waiting for Aerosoft and their CRJ and may look at Carenados King Air that someone posted about last week.....

This is the time of year for a good clear out of all the stuff that is not used....

I wasn't counting any freeware planes btw...most of which reside on the backup drive if they didn't rate tossing into the trash. Would not attempt to count them.

My 3tb external drive = never having to re-download an airplane or installer unless there is an update. And That Hangar is pretty well organized between Freeware, Good Freeware, and Payware installers (with copies of liveries stored alongside the planes).

Fav Good Freewares are hands down Dino Cateneo(sp?) birds.

I'd suggest to Alan, if your load time is really 15 minutes...you might start up faster if you clean out everything and reinstall only what you plan to fly each session...if you have .cfg modifications for a plane those could be saved alongside the stored aircraft/installers.

I get impatient if FSX takes longer than a minute to load personally. :)

I've just cleaned the PC down and dumped all the FS9 stuff. I'd backed the whole thing onto my external drive, I also had the FS9 reserve hangear on there,  also the main PC still had the base systems and install stuff in the programme database. It took me about 2 hours and freed up something like 400GB on the external drive and another 250GB on the main. there were apparently over 4,000 different aircraft on the system all told. ( I presume it counted each individual paint scheme/version as a seperate unit). I hadn't used FS9 in over 18 months so it had to go. I've also cleared out a lot of the little used FSX freeware stuff from the main system as well. Hopefully things will work better now!

I have stopped counting because even having a rough idea of the money I have spent would scare me to death, and I haven't even started to think about scenery and other add-ons.  :yikes:

I have a two drawer filing cabinet full of boxed add-on aircraft and scenery and then there is the downloads, so that puts the aircraft count alone above 250.

Most of the aircraft, if not all, are installed and all of the scenery is installed.  The only performance issue I have encountered which I can attribute to this level of installs is the length of time it takes FSX to start up as it reads all the dll files.

Now, the question I have is, "Do I have an obsession with this hobby?". :woot:  :blink2:

Cheers

Andrew

My FSX virtual hangar contains two aircraft: the PMDG NGX and the PMDG 777 (OK, with variations of each). But I only fly those 2% of the time; the other 98% I fly the (PSX) 747-400 (which is on another machine and doesn't need FSX, so it's not exactly in my virtual hangar.   :cool:

A total of three aircraft seems about right to me, since I'm a procedural simmer who follows real world practice as closely as is possible. So I also respect the old saying amongst pilots -

"Every pilot only has three type ratings in him".

YMMV, and all that jazz. ;)

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

I must be behind the times here...not sure what YMMV is...???

Personally, I dread to think. I'm guessing around 50 to 100 depending on the sim involved, and out of those I fly maybe 20 regularly. My main squeeze is my A320, then maybe the A2A Comanche and the excellent LHC Epic LT. The rest are just fun run arounds :)

Jess B