Video memory on 32 bit systems

Question for the techies amongst us.

Can having too much ram on your graphics card be decremental to your memory addressing on 32 bit systems?

The reason I ask is I upgraded from a 512mb card to a 1024mb card and it appears to have slowed down certain actions when using real memory intensive programs like FSX.

I found this linked from Phil Taylor's blog and wonder if my machine is being dragged down by too much video memory?

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... spx?i=3044

I am tempted to pop the old card back in to see if it makes a differnce. I have 4Gb of ram installed alothough XP seems to only recognise 2,95 Gb of it. I am also getting some quirky problem on boot up.

Any thoughts?

From what i can tell Joe, because its a dual card it runs like SLI. FSX appears to be one of those titles that does not like SLI especially when using DX9. However under DX10 it runs quite a bit better but thats not something you can go for on XP. I'm not saying this is your problem just a direction you might want to look at. I only had a little time to scan over some tech forums.

steve

Thanks for the reply Steve, I had been looking around for clues too and realise the card is like having a SLI device but in a single slot.

I am fast running out of HD space, I am still using the HD from my last PC! So I have to get another / replacement disc. Also thinking of re-installing the OS too.

Loads of work ahead :cool:

Cheers

When i updated my system Joe, i simply left in the old HD but made it secondary to a new one. This way i have the 2 HDs' running and i lost none of my old stuff. When i'm ready i will format the old HD which is simple as a second, right click format. As for the OS it installed without trouble and thankfully i have a trouble free PC at the moment.

All the best...

steve

Thanks Steve,

It's good to hear your set up is working well for you. My problem is I have had a lot of FS software installed and uninstalled for various reasons. Reviews, promo movies and beta testing etc. I am sure there is a lot of "debris" on my drive. I have run various cleaners that I trust for both the HD and the registry but I feel it's time for drastic action!

Cheers

SLI is effective in the sim but only at high res and then only marginally, when the emphasis switches a tad toward the GPU, rather than being CPU bound.

SLI shouldn't be detrimental though.

I suppose you've tried the obvious, namely a driver update? It may be that the driver needs to mature a bit, it is a relatively new card.

Thanks Mart,

I am getting some strange things happening at the moment. Windows take a couple of minutes to load and there is at least a 30 second wait from the last post message until the first window starting screen.

Today my cordless mouse has stopped selecting items correctly, I have just plugged in my old laptop usb mouse which appears to work correctly. There are definitely strange things afoot :thumbup:

Cheers

Perhaps there's an application doing a song and dance in the background?

Being aware of your wealth of experience with PC's, I know you've considered a virus.

Funny enough, my simming PC seems to do a lot of hard drive whirring before it boots up, started after XP SP3, haven't got any viruses.

Think I

AVG8 hasn't reported anything. I think I may have tracked it down to a dodgy BIOS. I flashed it about a month ago with he latest version, I wonder if I can roll it back any way?

The GPU would be too dusty for your system UM, it would need disinfecting :dance2:

Cheers

Thanks Mart,

I am defintely going to go back to the previous version, it's too much of a coincidence, sometimes the machine just stops whilst in the first throws of booting and I have to reset.

On holiday for a couple of weeks from next Saturday so a couple days of maintenance in order whilst "She Who Must Be Obeyed" is off riding!

Cheers