I tried Steam version recently but with a slow and dodgy internet connection that wasn't a go-er.

That's all been removed and I'm back with a fresh install of vanilla FSX.

My problem is one of suffering from frequent freezes whether I'm working with Missions or Free Flight. My settings are trimmed back to 35fps, my video card is up to date, my tweaks are limited to a couple in the cfg file.

The game will run for around two to five minutes and then freeze for anywhere between 30 seconds and a minute and a half before getting underway again. Some freezes just don't release at all and I have to reboot my Desktop altogether. I ensure that I switch off my Norton and Smart Firewall before beginning and all the other items in the 'hidden items' in the bottom right hand corner of my task bar.

Suggestions would be VERY welcome for I love this sim and have had great pleasure from it over the years.

So what on earth is wrong?

No, I have not. Never even heard of it. What's so trying is that in the past, with an earlier install, FSX ran without any trouble at all.The only thing I can think of that's occurred between now and then is that I'm a bit older and that brush with the Steam Edition, and I'm sure I've removed all of the latter.

Pleased to have had your response. Any other thoughts?

try going into Settings ->General and unchecking "Pause on Task Swtich". This could be caused by programs in the background checking for updates on a schedule etc therefore taking the focus of the PC away from FSX for a short time.

Adrian

Here you go James, download and install according to Joe's instructions.  http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/file/2382-uiautomationcore/

or you can manually do it Chris's way,

"Alan it sounds like you are missing the UIAutomationCore.dll fix

it’s an FSX bug workaround for win7; i believe this could apply to your case as well

personally i don’t like the conventional solution of replacing the current DLL with Vista's version.

What worked for me is simply to trick FSX to think it’s there; make an empty text file named UIAutomationCore.dll.txt

then delete the .txt from the end; and accept windows prompt about changing extension bla bla...

place that file in FSX/FS9 root directory".

You also might want to make sure no Steam files were left behind. Let us know how you make out, good luck. :)

Short, temporary freezes have plagued me in the past and it appears that re-sorting the FSX Scenery order has a lot (if not everything) to do with correcting the problem. I found a Scenery Config Editor somewhere and it works well in that you can run it and it will sort the scenery files in to their proper order. I used it when adding aircraft that come with scenery files in the installation package. The Aerosoft PBY is a prime example.

I would look to TweakFS and/or AVSIM and try a search on Scenery CFG Editor or something similar.

Well I have to admit that my pulse beat a little faster when I read that 'Pause on task' solution, Adrian....made sure that it wasn't selected but it didn't make any difference. Still freezing.

Meanwhile Brett, that suggestion of yours, that 'dll.core' thing, only resulted in my Norton yelling at me that this was dangerous and shouldn't be touched with a barge pole. Can I ignore that altogether and go ahead with it?

The scenery bit I feel doesn't apply as I haven't d/loaded any of that to date

Finally, for now, does the fact that my internet connection is both weak and irregular have any bearing on the matter. I didn't think that FSX was affected by it at all having installed everything. And got the game running.

Norton is just telling you that a .dll file can hide bad stuff inside if not from a trusted source and if you can't trust Master Yoda's (Joe) download who can you trust. :D If you still feel uncomfortable do it Chris's manual way.

The internet running slow could cause a problem during a download but you would usually see it during the download or install process. Doubt that is you problem.

Do yourself a big favor and get rid of Norton. ;)

Back on subject:

Do you have any Saitek software (not the drivers) installed?

I had something called ProFlight FSX Plugin 7.0.40.9 installed after I bought their ProFlight Yoke/Quadrant. Caused no end of aggravation until I uninstalled that little gem. The Yoke and Quadrant run just fine with just the drivers installed

I found  that lurking amongst my d/loads and deleted it from there. In addition I typed its title into the Search box, found it there and deleted it as well. 

Can I be sure it's now gone forever from my PC?

Thanks for your advice.

Brett....I d/loaded and installed that "uiautomaioncore.dll" software but regrettably, no improvement. Does it grow on one with time ?

Do you echo wain's disgust with Norton and, if I huck that out, what should I put n its place ?

Endless queries from an elderly newbie.

Hi James!

Here are a few suggestions for you to consider.... :)

> "...only resulted in my Norton yelling at me..."

Regardless of what brand of anti-virus you use (and I have to agree with others in this thread that Norton is not the best, I'm afraid), it's a good idea to go into its settings and add your fsx directory (and its subdirectories) to the list of "exclusions", in other words the list of directories which will not be scanned by your anti-virus. FSX tends to shuffle a lot of files as you fly along, and if your AV insists on scanning each one to make sure that it's OK that will slow things down.

Another possible cause for freezes might be that you have some sort of autosave operating to save your flight at regular intervals, but I assume that doesn't apply to you?

Have you tried any of the suggestions on this page? (Be careful, though, since some of the suggestions involve using powerful utilities that can bite you if you make a mistake) -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2681286

Although you said:

> "...freeze for anywhere between 30 seconds and a minute and a half ..."

That's a huge time for a freeze! Might it be that your virtual memory is insufficient (which would mean that the Operating System is having to do a lot of swapping from real memory to virtual memory and vice versa)? I'd suggest, say, 12Gb as a starting point (you can then use the resource monitor to determine how much of it you actually use when FSX is running). If you don't know what virtual memory is, then please check these links:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-virtual-memory#1TC=windows-7

and

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7

In view of the length of the freezes, I would also recommend you to look in the Event Viewer to see if there are any repeated error messages or crashes, which might point us towards a cause. If you're not familiar with the Event Viewer then you may need to get someone who is familiar with it to help you, since the messages can be somewhat cryptic. Here's a link that may help to start you off:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/226084-event-viewer-open-use-windows-7-a.html

Finally, please forgive me if I mention that FSX's performance is notoriously heavily dependent on the speed of the CPU in your machine. I'm not too familiar with AMD Athlon CPUs, but Google leads me to believe that yours is a 2-core CPU running at 2.6GHz? If that is so then I fear this might perhaps be a limiting factor for you. :mellow:

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

I found  that lurking amongst my d/loads and deleted it from there. In addition I typed its title into the Search box, found it there and deleted it as well. 

Can I be sure it's now gone forever from my PC?

Thanks for your advice.

You might have to go to "Control Panel" then find "Programs and Features" and go down the list looking for anything that contains "Saitek". Just be careful not to remove anything from Saitek with "Driver" in the title (probably won't be there anyway, but best to be safe).

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. All the people responding are far more knowledgeable (on FSX) than I, so take their advice.

I minor family crisis has loomed over the horizon that is likely to keep me occupied for a few days. As soon as possible I shall get back into the saddle and start investigating firther following your all excellent and helpful advice.

Many thanks so far.

Crisis over and all is well, thank you Brett.

I've done a clean out and reinstall of the Saitek material via their helpful Rumanian young ladies in Budapest. That solved the problem of that blasted Plug in for FSX. Things are running a BIT better but the next step is to follow all those rumbling mutteriings and clean out Norton.

I am already using Malware Bites regularly and now have a choice to make from those available in the Antivirus - Spyware - Firewall areas.

Any preferences there form you experts?

I am most appreciative of your advice.

Looks like one of my mails became lost in transmission so I'll try again now.

Thanks for your concern, Brett. All is now well once again. You went on to send me some links to earlier Forum posts concerning the replacement of Norton in one's system with other protective software.  I had that message from you but it appears to have taken unwarranted flight. 

Would you be so good as to send that info again?

Thank you.

Thanks as well to March concerning that ProFlight plug in file.  With the help of two patient young women in Budapest who are Saitek's help team, I uninstalled my Saitek Pro53 software and reinstalled a fresh lot - without the dread Plug in.

And Bruce...I am getting closer to investigating your helpful advice. 

I raise my hat to you all. Perhaps a joke from Ireland.

The proverbial Englishman, Scotsman and Irishmen walk into a Irish pub and each  order a pint of Guinness. As the glasses are placed on the counter a  flies fly dives into each pint.

The Englishman pushes his aside and demands a replacement.

The Scotsman plucks out the fly and tosses it aside.

The Irishman carefully lifts out his fly, shakes it vigorously and shouts "Spit it out, you bastard. Spit it out!" 

If it's any help.............

My Nod32 software came up for renewal last week and I've elected not to renew. Instead, I am going to give MS a go. This is not as brave as some may think as my sim machine is not connected to the internet.

Glad I could help with your problem. Happy Simming!