Alan was a phenominal actor, He could say everything with a single look, and portray menace in a way that few others could. Yet he was a great comic actor at the same time, Hilarious in Galaxy Quest, Robin Hood, etc. but of course it was his recent protrayal of Proffessor Snape in the Harry Potter films that will have made him so familiar to younger filmgoers. He was simply the best and the acting world has lost one of it's brightest lights. RIP Alan, we will all miss you.

This has not been a good week for British talent, Ed (Stewpot) Stewart, David Bowie and now Alan Rickman. What a hell of a week! :(

A sad loss indeed. Probably one of the villain playing actor of all time.  

Everyone remembers him as Snape in Harry Potter, but when the first Die Hard hit the silver screen, he was there playing the main bad guy Hans Gruber. 

I think Brits seem to be the best Bad-Guy actors anywhere, Just look at who we've got, Apart from the late dear Alan, we have Ben Kingsly, Tom Hiddlestone, Mark Strong, Mark Rylance, Anton Lesser, Anthony Hopkins, to name but a few. It's the clipped British accent that gives that menace without going over the top. Some of the European Actors do the same sort of thing, (think a number of the Bond villians, Javier Bardem, Christoph Waltz etc). I think it's something of a problem with many American actors inasmuch that, fine actors as they are, the drawl in the accent seems to draw out the words and make it less threatening. Jack Nicholson can do it as can Christopher Walken, but they are in a minority among American actors. Just like the real world, people seem to be scared of the Brits! :D

I agree with you Alan. We Brits always are cast as the bad guys in Hollywood films, if not the bad guys, then the butlers, the very posh or very sophisticated.  It sends out some strange and mixed clues as to how the American see us.  

It sends out some strange and mixed clues as to how the American see us.  

Don't confuse what Hollywood thinks with what the rest of Americans think.  It's often quite different.  In fact, if you consider Hollywood's products as propaganda, attempting get the rest of us to see things as they do, you might not be far wrong much of the time.

I don't find you menacing at all, though would not want to be on the other side of a war from you for any number of reasons.

John

• Like 1

It sends out some strange and mixed clues as to how the American see us.  

I don't find you menacing at all, though would not want to be on the other side of a war from you for any number of reasons.

John

John, if us Brits were on the other side from the US in a war we'd drown you in hot tea and warm beer, pelt you with English muffins and thick cut potato chips. Send in a fleet of aircraft carriers. Mobilise the British weather, airdrop the letter 'u' for your keyboards, embargo  Marmite.

Prince Phillip will take your surrender.

And yes RIP Alan, a really good baddie.    

• Like 1

Aussies generally seem to be regarded as the Brits that were rejected many years ago! LOL!  They used to send our rejects to America but that had to stop due to an inconvenient war in 1840! However these days Aussies are seen by many as the sort of people we'd like to be if we could get away with it, ie, not giving a stuff about what anyone thinks, straight talking and somewhat laid back!  However we are to curtailed by our image of being seen as an easy touch and to frightened to rock any boats when it comes to foriegn policy. To governed by outside influences be it from Brussels or elsewhere. It's that I think that makes us seem aloof to some people. In fact most of us are quietly seething in frustration about the lack of backbone propping up successive governments. The only problem I have with Australia.......is that most of the things that want to kill you seem to live there! However I could forget all that with a case of Fosters and a roll in the hay with Kylie ! :D

...Aussies are seen by many as the sort of people we'd like to be if we could get away with it, ie, not giving a stuff about what anyone thinks, straight talking and somewhat laid back!.....The only problem I have with Australia.......is that most of the things that want to kill you seem to live there! However I could forget all that with a case of Fosters and a roll in the hay with Kylie !

True on all four counts in the former part of this statement.....but Alan, I don't want to kill you.  :D

As for Fosters, this is Australia giving Britain our rubbish. There is a very good reason why we export it.....and Kylie for that matter. Down here, not even a 'slab' of Fosters would be enough for the average Aussie to want to do anything with Kylie, let alone roll in the hay with her.  :stars:

• Like 3

...Aussies are seen by many as the sort of people we'd like to be if we could get away with it, ie, not giving a stuff about what anyone thinks, straight talking and somewhat laid back!.....The only problem I have with Australia.......is that most of the things that want to kill you seem to live there! However I could forget all that with a case of Fosters and a roll in the hay with Kylie !

True on all four counts in the former part of this statement.....but Alan, I don't want to kill you.  :D

As for Fosters, this is Australia giving Britain our rubbish. There is a very good reason why we export it.....and Kylie for that matter. Down here, not even a 'slab' of Fosters would be enough for the average Aussie to want to do anything with Kylie, let alone roll in the hay with her.  :stars:

LOL! Fosters and Kylie are rather popular up here, Mind you we would like to send Rolf Harris back! :D:stars:

LOL! Fosters and Kylie are rather popular up here, Mind you we would like to send Rolf Harris back! :D:stars:

Fosters for sale in the UK is "brewed" in the UK.  Personally I find this drink's Australian references an insult to our antipodean cousins, and I am very surprised that there haven't been international diplomatic moves made by the Australian Government to distance themselves from this ghastly product. (I cannot bring myself to call it beer). 

I am not sure how we have managed to get to Fosters from lamenting the late and great Mr Rickman, however as an actor of such stature and huge talent I am sure he would agree with the above. Probably.

• Like 1

Fosters for sale in the UK is "brewed" in the UK.  Personally I find this drink's Australian references an insult to our antipodean cousins, and I am very surprised that there haven't been international diplomatic moves made by the Australian Government to distance themselves from this ghastly product. (I cannot bring myself to call it beer). 

I am not sure how we have managed to get to Fosters from lamenting the late and great Mr Rickman, however as an actor of such stature and huge talent I am sure he would agree with the above. Probably.

Lets drink a toast to the late Mr Rickman, in whatever takes your fancy, I'll raise you a pint of Theakstons!

Mine's a pint of local ale, Wild Orchid from the smallest pub in the world!

bw1.jpg    bw2.jpg  

The building with the bench outside behind and to the right of the man in the yellow jumper is not part of the pub and is actually detached from the pub.

• Like 1