It is with much sadness that I inform you all of the passing of my Father, Walter James Gale, (always known as Jim.) on 6 February 2016. He is sadly missed by his family and friends . Dad was in the Merchant Navy throughout the 1950s, first as Second Cook/Baker, then as Chief Cook. He served mainly in tankers and a large part of his career was spent with ESSO. He was very proud of his Seafaring days and would often talk about them, (especially as I too served in the MN during the late 70s so we both understood all that life as a seafarer entailed.) I was able to obtain for him a Merchant Navy service medal last year due to the fact that one of the ships he served on was in the Korean War as a fleet refueller and Dad was one of the Gunners when he was not in the galley. He was as proud as punch of the fact that he'd got an award without even realising that he qualified. I also found lots of photos of many of his ships and created an archive for him. 

After coming ashore he spent the next 40+ years driving heavy trucks all over the country. He still remained a great cook though and at Christmas his roasts and pastries were the stuff of legends!

It was Dad who got me into aviation as for a while he worked for BEA at Heathrow. He sparked an interest in aircraft that has never gone away. He bought me my first model aircraft in the 1967 and I still have it! (an Airfix Mig 15 that was bought at Poultons Toy Shop in Hounslow.) He was still buying and building kits himself until only a few weeks ago, though his build skills were by now seriously deteriorated. 

As you can imagine it has been a great shock to the family and was a real struggle for us to hold things together long enough to arrange his funeral which will take place at the end of Feb. 

Our only crumb of comfort is that he is no longer in pain and needing constant care from family, friends and care agencies. He is at peace and back with Mum.

Farewell Dad, may your spirit ride above the waves forever.

31_zpst365avng.jpg

Hi Alan,

Please accept my sincere sympathies. I know you were very close and spent some quality time with Jim taking him to interesting and stimulating places.

A sad loss, one which I have experienced myself so I understand how you feel.

A lovely tribute, my thoughts are with you and Marie, take care mate.

Joe

• Like 1

As are mine and Margarets thoughts also Alan.

Mags lost both her parents before she was out of her teens and both mine have gone too.

We know how you're feeling and can only add our heartfelt sympathies to the list.

Take care Alan.

Brian

• Like 1

So very sorry to hear of your loss, Alan.

The following poem is dedicated to the Merchant Navy sailors who are no longer with us:

In Waters Deep - A Sailors End

In ocean wastes no poppies blow,
No crosses stand in ordered row,
There young hearts sleep beneath the wave.
The spirited, the good, the brave,...
But stars a constant vigil keep,
For them who lie beneath the deep.
'Tis true you cannot kneel in prayer
On certain spot and think. "He's there."
But you can to the ocean go.
See whitecaps marching row on row;
Know one for him will always ride.
In and out with every tide.
And when your span of life is passed,
He'll meet you at the "Captain's Mast."
And they who mourn on distant shore
For sailors who'll come home no more,
Can dry their tears and pray for these
Who rest beneath the heaving seas.
For stars that shine and winds that blow
And whitecaps marching row on row.
And they can never lonely be
For when they lived, they chose the sea.
  • Like 1

Alan

I am so sorry to hear of your loss...such a huge one.

It sounds like you are a pippin from a good apple tree Alan.

The fact that your life choices mirror so closely your father's speaks to the good example he set for you.

Great dads are not as common as everyone might wish. :(

My condolences upon your loss of a dad who sounds like he was a Golden Lottery Ticket.

Be consoled that his "wealth" will never run out, it will live on in you and the rest of the family he raised, nurtured and mentored.

R.I.P. Mr. Gale Sr., and may you sail under fair winds from here on out.

:salute:

• Like 1

So very sorry to hear of your loss, Alan.

The following poem is dedicated to the Merchant Navy sailors who are no longer with us:

In Waters Deep - A Sailors End

In ocean wastes no poppies blow,
No crosses stand in ordered row,
There young hearts sleep beneath the wave.
The spirited, the good, the brave,...
But stars a constant vigil keep,
For them who lie beneath the deep.
'Tis true you cannot kneel in prayer
On certain spot and think. "He's there."
But you can to the ocean go.
See whitecaps marching row on row;
Know one for him will always ride.
In and out with every tide.
And when your span of life is passed,
He'll meet you at the "Captain's Mast."
And they who mourn on distant shore
For sailors who'll come home no more,
Can dry their tears and pray for these
Who rest beneath the heaving seas.
For stars that shine and winds that blow
And whitecaps marching row on row.
And they can never lonely be
For when they lived, they chose the sea.

I love this poem, I'm thinking about reading this at Dads funeral. However it all depends on what other members of the family want to do as well. I have insisted that a Red Ensign be draped over his coffin and that the Hymn ,Eternal Father Strong to Save,(the sailors hymn) is sung at the service.

• Like 1

Hi Alan.  My sincere condolences to you and your family.  

It sounds like your father taught you all you know about the art of model making.  By the standard of work you have exhibited on these forums he taught you well. 

God bless.

JG

• Like 1