Announcing section 7 - The home stretch - Bidding closed

Hi gang,

After just over 13 months on the fly transporting our baton around the world we are now entering the final section taking us full circle around the globe back to EGHI.

But before we get there we have another 10 legs to fly!

These legs will take us up north through Libya, and jump across the water to Italy. After a few flights over the land of Pasta and Pizza with a slight detour to Croatia we do a quick stop in Switzerland before we head on through France and back to the UK.

Section7_Briefing_version.JPG

As evident by the list above all legs with the exception of leg 70 are open to bidding in the section. Legs 67 and 68 have restrictions imposed on them with a Ultralight model required for leg 67, and a model with a minimum MTOW of 7,000 lbs required for leg 68.

The bidding window for section 7 will open at 18:00 UTC on Friday February the 19th. As usual only bids submitted to atwc@mutleyshangar.com after the bidding window opens will be eligible for assignment. If the bid is for legs 67 or 68 don't forget to include the type of plane you plan on using so we can make sure the bid meets the restrictions imposed on the flight, and don't forget that it's possible to include more than one leg in your bid.

As for leg 70, this will be flown as an online multiplayer event open for any pilot willing to fly along side the other maniacs on this forum. We will use the built in multiplayer function in FSX, and due to this fact any user participating will need to fly using FSX with SP2 or Acceleration installed. Sadly we can't connect pilots using FS9, FSX:SE or P3D to this session. In addition to this you will need a free Skype account since we intend to use this for pilot communication during the flight.

Further information and a time and date for the flight will be communicated at a later date when we have ironed out the details for the flight, but it will most likely be held on a Sunday morning UK time. Departure will most likely be at around 10 AM UK time. It's also worth nothing that the PIREP will come in the form of a publicly published YouTube-video, and your voice might end up in the video as all mischief and any misconduct will be recorded. Any sign of proper airmanship will however be edited out of the final video, as evident in the two previous Finale videos  :whis:

If you feel like joining in for the online finale please let me know in your bid, with your Skype username included. If you will refrain from bidding for a leg in section 7 but want to join in for the online event you can still send an email to the adress above with your details so we know who we need to contact when the flight takes place.

That's it for now, 

Safe skies

Micke

Its been a great adventure. I'm really glad that I came out of hiding to fly a few legs, and realise just what I was missing!

Might see if I can fly the last leg with you all (assuming my headset works) and I can get out of my slah-pad that early on a Sunday.

Bring it on !!! :dancea:

Time for an update on the bidding process for section 7 so far.

At this point in time I have four flights still open for assignment, so come grab them while they are still available.

Leg 61: Kieran Marshall

Leg 62: John Guest

Leg 63: Mikael Stockfors

Leg 64: Unassigned

Leg 65: Unassigned

Leg 66: Steph Sawyer

Leg 67: Matt Gardner

Leg 68: Unassigned

Leg 69: Unassigned

Leg 70: Online Event

As for the Online Event I hope to have the details on it for you all before the end of the week.

• Like 1

Two more to go, see updated list below

Leg 64: Jessica Bannister-Pearce

Leg 65: Brian Buckley

Leg 69: Unassigned

Roger that John, I'll give it until the end of the week to see if we can find some more interested pilots, and then I'll assign a second flight to you.. 

Steph could possibly pick up one more as well.

Kieran and Matt, are you interested in flying a second flight as well if needed?

Roger that, Joe picked up leg 69 yesterday, so only leg 68 remains to be filled.

If it remains unclaimed on Monday morning I'll roll dice to see if JG or Kieran gets it  ;) I trust that whomever gets it will find a suitable plane that meets that minimum MTOW of 7,000 lbs..

Assignments as of now can be found below:

Leg 64: Jessica Bannister-Pearce

Leg 65: Brian Buckley

Leg 69: Joe Lawford

This year's challenge has been fantastic, they get better and better.

I would like to pass a vote of thanks to Micke for his sterling work in organising these annual outings.  We must all recognise the hard work that he has put in for this years challenge and those in years past.

So thanks Micke, and I for one am looking forward to ATWC 7!  :thum:

• Like 2

I'm sure you do Kieran, the question is if you have something over 7,000 lbs MTOW that can get out that airport with a 3,000 feet runway and some high terrain around it ;)

• Like 1

Also tossing a HUGE Thank You! to Mikael for his deft management of this herd of flying cats. :D

Looks like the leg after mine is still open, I certainly have a chopper or two that could make the grade/slope/VSI necessary...if Kiernan isn't anxious to take it, Please do take it if so.

I will have a short but very slow trip for my 067 leg, it will be enough for me, but would take a second leg again if necc.

Hoping however, that a someone will take the opportunity to dip a first toe into the ATWC and snatch it up. :)

Looks like a pretty place to fly into and out of...bet the scenery would inspire/write the leg for you.

Cheers all...see you in Switz.

• Like 1

A huge thank you to Micke for all your hard work making ATWC such a great success.

Apologies for not taking on the extra leg, my pc is having a few CTDs in the last few weeks. Hopefully it will hold together till after the last leg home before I wipe it and go back to last year's drive image..

• Like 1

After adding Matt into the mix the Dice have spoken, and Matt got the final leg.

So Section 7 is now fully assigned and open for flights. The departure board will go live in a few minutes, just have to update the source file and upload it!

:salute:

Roger Boss.

:salute:

(any chance/support for a Saturday 10:00 am UK/UTC time for the final leg? Leaving US pilots a day to recover before work?)

I'll attempt a 2am Monday departure, but no guarantees that I'll land at the final destination...although autopilot might carry me over the top and therupon to where ever Otto flys when he dreams...fuel permitting I may land somewhere after my alarm goes off...maybe you all could wing wave me goodnight when I go out of coms/to sleep... :D )

Hi Matt.

I think you're getting your time zones mixed up, it should be Sunday morning in California, not Monday morning! (unless the state of California suffers from a major earthquake, breaks free from mainland USA and drift far out into the Pacific  :whis: )

Although I fully understand how difficult it would be for you to join us due to the time differences I also know that the majority of those that join in on these events are based in Europe, and that they have other commitments on Saturdays, so Sundays means a greater chance of a big group joining in. 

Matt,

I fully understand and empathise with you. These inconsiderate b*&%$#ds are too soft and even a 10.00 am Sunday UTC is nearly too early for some of them.  :wacko2:

Having done a regular weekly 09.30/10.00 am Sunday UTC, FSX MP session with the Mutley Crew for the last three years, I am regularly flying well past midnight to pander to their whims and provide nonsensical humour on the Skype call for what would otherwise be a very boring session with a bunch of pommies and Micke. All they ever seem to be worried about is getting off to their roast lunches (they call it dinner in the middle of the day).  :D  Though I must say, some of their flying skills (or lack there of) do provide some jovial entertainment and they graciously did put me in charge of the sheep dip.  :rofl:

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1