Pilot reg opens - Wed 09/03/2016

Pilot reg closes - Wed 23/032016

PIREP Due dates*

Flight 1 - Fri 25/03/2013

Flight 2 - Mon 27/03/2016

Flight 3 - Wed 29/03/2016

Flight 4 - Fri 31/03/2016

Flight 5 - Sun 03/04/2016

*The dates above are the PIREP submission dates. The actual date you fly is entirely up to you to allow for any commitments you have.

MEBAR closes Sat 09/04/2016

http://mebar.mutleyshangar.com/

From the registration page header:

"Flight legs can involve either and / or a combination of VOR, NDB and "dead reckoning" navigating under visual flight rule (VFR) and / or instrument flight rule (IFR)"

I don't VOR/NDB navigate, but if the legs are listed that way and assuming I can find them on the charts/map, can I input the nav points into a gps as way points and navigate using a gps route as a "reckoning"?

Blimey one more year just shot by.....the big Six Zero for me this year lads!  Really looking forward to see you all again and as usual a massive thank you to all the organizers, it just wouldn't be the same without the Easter Rally!  

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

From the registration page header:

"Flight legs can involve either and / or a combination of VOR, NDB and "dead reckoning" navigating under visual flight rule (VFR) and / or instrument flight rule (IFR)"

I don't VOR/NDB navigate, but if the legs are listed that way and assuming I can find them on the charts/map, can I input the nav points into a gps as way points and navigate using a gps route as a "reckoning"?

Matt,

The fundamental idea behind the MEBAR is that it's a navigation challenge - it's designed to encourage participants to extend themselves and, in some cases, learn some new skills. However, whilst the Rules emphasize the use of traditional radio navigation techniques and dead reckoning, they don't preclude the use of a GPS.

The Flight Briefing instructions provide detailed directions for waypoints on each of the Flight legs such that they can be plotted using a flight planning tool - Plan-G is highly recommended.

Cheers

Andrew

I have found too that the MEBAR can actually be a great learning tool for using VOR's and NDB's Matt, it certainly got me interested in navigation. :cool:

Plan out the legs in PlanG, load the flight plan into the aircraft's GPS and then set up the NAV equipment as you fly the leg trying to rely on them instead of the GPS.(it will be there as a backup) I highly recommend checking out this site, it is what I used when I first started and still refer to once in awhile http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ hope it helps you out like it did me. :)

Looking forward to this years rally. I was rather Ill last year, so I missed it. Now I just need to get the first two legs flown early. Visiting a friend on the first submission date. :)

Looking forward to this years rally. I was rather Ill last year, so I missed it. Now I just need to get the first two legs flown early. Visiting a friend on the first submission date. :)

Madam,

You and your "...two legs..." jokes are starting to wear a bit thin. :D

• Like 1