REX release New Service Packs

Screen%20Shot%2003-09-16%20at%2009.43%20

REX SIMULATIONS is pleased to announce the release of REX 4 Texture Direct Service Pack 6, REX 4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds Service Pack 6, and REX Soft Clouds Service Pack 3.  Though there are very few visible changes to either program, the major update relates to what's under the hood.  In this service pack the need for Microsoft's SQL Server Local Database has been completely removed.

Service Pack 6 includes the following fixes and additions:
•Removal of requirement for Microsoft’s SQL Server Local DB – with overall rewrite of the underlying platform.
•Cloud size adjustments for Prepar3D v3
•Wave animation file fix for Prepar3D v3

Service Pack 3 includes the following fixes and additions:
•Removal of requirement for Microsoft’s SQL Server Local DB – with overall rewrite of the underlying platform.
•Cloud size adjustments for Prepar3D v3

Additional internal fixes and performance updates were included in each update. Users will be prompted to download the new update when they start either REX product, or they may click the “Check for Updates” button from within the application. 

Unfortunately, this release does not include REX Essential Plus :(

I think they are focussed on REX 4 and Texture Direct now and Weather Architect. I'm not on the beta team any more so have no informed opinion but the last Essential update was back in 2014, a stable product now I should hope.  

I'm not on the beta team any more so have no informed opinion but the last Essential update was back in 2014, a stable product now I should hope.

.....except that it isn't. I have an open thread on the REX Support forum regarding a tiny, misty Sun, and also significant framerate drops when looking at REX water textures (in P3D v3.1).

I'm not on the beta team any more so have no informed opinion but the last Essential update was back in 2014, a stable product now I should hope.

.....except that it isn't. I have an open thread on the REX Support forum regarding a tiny, misty Sun, and also significant framerate drops when looking at REX water textures (in P3D v3.1).

Proof that at some point in the software life cycle, support for software is scaled back, particularly when it is replaced by an updated product.

Software developers (or any company for that matter) don't make money by looking backwards and continually fixing outdated products.

Time to move on and upgrade or accept it as it is.

• Like 1