Navigraph Airport Data

Hi There
I recently received great help here in solving an NDB frequency problem that I experienced.  As a result of that help, I have now used John Allard's Waypoint tutorial (thank you John) , to append some of my own W/P's to FSX that I had previously created in Plan-G and also added to the F1 GTN750 (trying to keep everything lined up).  This has re-kindled an interest in pulling data from some Navigraph Airport, Navaid and Waypoint .txt files and manipulating them in MS Access to create hard copy reports.  Now I can see a potential for using this data to further line up my FSX-Plan-G-GTN750 data.  As usual though (for me anyway) this involves learning something new.  I have attached some data from the Navigraph Airport .txt file.  I have tabled the raw data into what I believe to be the correct column headings.  Unfortunately I have no idea at the moment what the data the four columns coloured in red relate to.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Edit:  (not having a lot of luck inserting an image - will try again)

Navigraph%20Data%20Question_zpsh8hbke7u.

Cheers

Doug Weir

• Like 1

Nice piece of work.  At first glance everything looks good, plausible and more or less understandable.  I have no more clue than you about the red columns.  It will be interesting to bounce this against FS data tomorrow after I've slept.  The runway length field must be rounded down to the nearest 100.  Even though it's past 0230 I couldn't resist a quick glance at my diagram and it shows pretty good agreement.  There are a few feet differences on runway lengths and the Localizer bearing is off by two degrees.  That's pretty small potatoes.

Bear in mind, of course, that this being from Navigraph, it's as suspect as any real world data with respect to Flight Sim.  It would be great if the sim could be kept in synch with the real world but it's not happening.  

There must be terrain to the west as the GS and TCH for Rwy 11 is non-standard, indicating, possibly, an approach with obstructions.

Interesting post.

John

Hi JG
You are correct.  A couple of years ago I linked a MS Access database to a downloaded Navigraph .txt file.

I originally created the database:-  1) to keep my brain active and,  2) to create separate hard copy listings of all the airport and runway information within the areas that I normally fly in (Orbx PNW - PFJ - UK).  It was really handy to have a comprehensive reference available before I got into the Plan-G world.  The image I posted is a MS Word document put together to see if anyone could help me put a name to the 3 data fields in red.

Cheers

Doug Weir

I guess as your DB was made from a flat file import you dont have access to the source data.

So it is a case of you know or you dont.

A couple of things to consider:

Do you need to know what the data is, and are you seeking to find out for completeness?

The data may be meaningless in its current context. If the source data is drawn fron a relational database then these records may be used for identifing records in another table (Foreign keys - Access does this) it therefore has no value when this identification process is no required.

Hi John
Thanks for getting back on this one.  You are correct, my "source" data comes from a flat Navigraph Airport.txt file.  Navigraph source their data from Jeppesen.  The .txt file data usefulness is limited by being short of at least 2 key fields (MagVar and Region) which as you suggest must reside in another table with a pKey -fKey relationship.  Having recently seen what you can do with adding waypoints, I had hoped that I might be able to use MSAccess to identify and format the data needed to update both my FSX and by default Plan-G files.  Unfortunately while the available data will certainly reduce the task, it will still be very much a manual exercise.

I guess I don't need to find out what the data is but you never know it might be useful.

Cheers
Doug Weir

By the way, after I read your comment on the localizer bearing being off by 2 degrees (2012 information),  I downloaded the latest cycle and those values have changed by 3 degrees.  During the download process I skimmed through the copyright information and got a bit concerned.  I wouldn't want to do anything that would infringe anyone's copyright (I can well imagine the effort that goes in to developing and maintaining the databases and the licence fees paid to access them).

So, while it is handy to have the information in a readable and easy to access format it is just as well that it is still a personal manual exercise to update FSX.