Despite my Numpad light being off, the 7 and 1 keys don't do anything for my trimming any aircraft in FSX:SE. I've tried both with and without assigning those keys to my Saitek 52 Pro but still no joy.

Any ideas, folks?

Are you sure you have the buttons assigned in the options/controls setting?

My only other suggestion would be to back up and delete your FSX config and restart the sim to allow it to recreate the config files and default keyboard  mapping, then add back any tweaks you have.

Don't think deleting the FSX.cfg file will reset the controls Joe...

Those are stored in a separate file, but at the moment I can't remember what it's called...

I wrote something a few weeks back about installing Saitek drivers - bad idea and very difficult to get rid of. The Saitek joysticks, trim wheel, pedals, etc work just fine, thank you very much, using only the Windows native drivers for joysticks. 

There's no question that you MUST clean out the standard.xml file (just delete it and re-start FSX). Make absolutely sure you do not have more than one assignment for a given control. Personally, I like assigning all axes, buttons, etc using FSUIPC. If using FSUIPC, go through the FSX 'Controls' menu and remove duplicate joystick assignments. In fact - go one step further and tick the little box (I'm not on the computer with FSX so can't conveniently send a screenshot) that disables joysticks. Its on the first page of the 'Controls' menu if memory serves. This is the silver bullet for duplicate assignment problems. Yes, it's a lot of work to assign everything through FSUIPC, but things run much smoother after you've done this.

I just had a problem with P3d and my trim wheel. Every time I moved the trimwheel P3d hung so bad it required a hard re-boot to recover. Hours of reading on various forums came up with the solution: get rid of the Saitek Driver. Once that P.O.S. was dead and buried, my trim wheel works as advertised.

• 4 weeks later...

My trim problem was down to those buttons in the Options/Control setup - the villains. Thank you, my Administrator. All is now well. Well, almost. Despite advice from Tim I still cannot get my aircraft symbol to appear on the Plan G map when I've set a flight plan and begin to fly it. The requisite F6 button is not listed as being used at all in the Options/ Control buttons set up. Any ideas, helpful souls?

I have never used the F6 button to connect FSX with PlanG, on the Home tab in PlanG I just click the Connect button in the Flight Simulator section.

Remember to fill out the appropriate info in the Options sections, under the File tab.

Double check the Location sections top two lines are correct, also the FS Connection section is filled out correctly, along with the User Aircraft and Traffic sections are filed out.

I run FSX in Windowed Mode so I can access PlanG underneath it.