First failure on the A2A Comanche today

Well I was doing a what was supposed to be a nice flight from East Midlands to Heathrow testing out the new GTN570, but things got ugly when all of a sudden my plane pitched a stupid positive rate. I had to push down on the controls and the elavator trim would not budge. I decided to continue the flight as I was not far out; this was one of the toughest flights I have done with the constant corrections being made to hold a steady altitude. 

Once landed I took the plane to the hangar and found the elvator trim was completely broken - I also had some wear and tear else where so I had them fix that up too while it was in the hangar. No pics from the flight but here is a pic of the broken elvator trim :) Thanks A2A for a great surprise!

2016-04-0420_42_43-MicrosoftFlightSimula

Nice piloting skills Jim, :thum: glad you made it down safe without breaking it. :)

Gotta love a sim aircraft that will catch you out when you least expect it, much better than choosing failures. :cool:

Nice piloting skills Jim, :thum: glad you made it down safe without breaking it. :)

Gotta love a sim aircraft that will catch you out when you least expect it, much better than choosing failures. :cool:

It made me jump - and luckily I was not on VATSIM tonight else I would have had a panic on :) - Thanks

Nice recovery mate! Don't be too hard on the pit crew...it's you. :D

Guessing that if you "found other wear and tear things" as well, you maybe didn't pop into the maintenance hangar as part of your pre-flight?

Thanks for the share...I haven't had any *fun* things like this happen yet in an A2A planes.

Nice recovery mate! Don't be too hard on the pit crew...it's you. :D

Guessing that if you "found other wear and tear things" as well, you maybe didn't pop into the maintenance hangar as part of your pre-flight?

Thanks for the share...I haven't had any *fun* things like this happen yet in an A2A planes.

I don't go into the hangar every time I fly I do the walkaround every time though. I imagine real pilots wouldn't take the plane in the hangar after every flight so neither do I :) Still in a way deep down you kind of want it to fail to see the features A2A have put into this bird makes it fun I suppose.

There was no visual issues with the trim prior to the flight and it was fine on the last visit to the hangar too. It was good and enjoyable.

Not sure I'd be saying that if I was on Vatsim though - MAYDAY! MAYDAY! Hehe.

Are gailures in A2A auto or do you have to set them...also does it matter what FSX failures settings you have?

Failures are not set they occur as and when. But they are sometimes not random either - with A2A GA aircraft the planes are like real planes, they age even when your computer is turned off. Wear and tear occurs also and not acting on this will eventually cause a failure.

Engine oil has to be topped up and changed just like your car. Moving parts can wear like flap actuators. Fuel can get contaminated so you have to keep an eye on that too.

The walk around is most important when using an A2A aircraft - just like real life.

If you don't have an A2A GA aircraft, I really recommend you get the Comanche - it's just amazing. Quite a bit of money for such a small plane but worth every penny in my opinion.

And no - I am not on commission lol.

Grab the manual from the A2A website for the Comanche and that is the tip of the iceberg. So much more occurs beyond the manual but it gives you a taste of what is included.

Thanks Jim...I have the C172 Trainer but sadly since reinstall several months back have not really used..also got side tracked with the Bus...just wanted to make sure it was like wear n tear like I thought...I think Realair duke does something similar but not as in depth...

Sounds like a Yak 18 that I use, it has a habit of totally random engine failures. Can be very disconcerting when you're over a city and nowhere to pancake!

My Razbaam A7 Corsair fulfills this role in my fleet...if I ever wish to have a flame out, I just need to strap that plane on...haha. And it drops like a stone pancake. It could be me though. Ok...it's probably me, I have never read the manual. Ok, it is definitely me.

Well done for overcoming that, Jim! :thumbsup:

I know I've said it before, but for me vlying without a realistic level of failures would feel unreal, and curiously empty, so I guess I'm fortunate in that PSX provides a huge range of both random and selectable failures in every one of the 744's systems. It certainly keeps you on your toes! :)

Cheers,

bruce
a.k.a. brian747

While I love A2A planes, a broken trim actuator at 40 hours in real life would have me howling.  Not taking care of the engine is one thing, but airframe issues?  It keeps you on your toes, but the accelerated decrepitude is annoying.

HAHA Nice!

I hear what you are saying, but I guess if it was exactly like real life then you probably wouldn't experience a lot of the failures unless you did a lot of hours. 

This way you get these failures and makes it enjoyable for the hit of being less realistic in terms of timelines. 

In my opinion I fly not a lot so like the way it is - but it would be nice to have that option in the setup. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to do as you could just have a built in multiplier in the config. Who knows though aye :)

• Like 1

There is a way to switch off damage in A2A Accum-simmed aircraft in one of the popups. 

Yeah but it would be better imo if you can have the damage but change a time multiplier where as the planes ages/fails quicker than usual or slower just like the real world. Not just on and off - but good call to point that out for people scared of A2A aircraft :)

• 2 weeks later...

That was a good read, Jim. Well done in keeping it under control and getting down safely. That read like an edge-of-the-seat episode of Air Crash Investigation where the pilots skill saves the day!

I enjoyed reading all this as much as I enjoy the A2A planes themselves. I have all their GA models and consider them a class of simulation all of their own. I fly the C172 a great deal because I am still learning to fly and that is what I would most likely be using in RL.

1 hour ago, Bumblebee said:

That was a good read, Jim. Well done in keeping it under control and getting down safely. That read like an edge-of-the-seat episode of Air Crash Investigation where the pilots skill saves the day!

I enjoyed reading all this as much as I enjoy the A2A planes themselves. I have all their GA models and consider them a class of simulation all of their own. I fly the C172 a great deal because I am still learning to fly and that is what I would most likely be using in RL.

You're welcome - thanks for checking it out. The 172 is a great plane and if you are learning to fly in RL in a 172 then it cannot do any harm in practicing the processes in the sim too. Personally my favourite is the Comanche and a real joy to fly around in :)

2 hours ago, Bumblebee said:

ahhh no, I see how I put that now...no not learning to fly in RL, still learning as a simmer, and the A2A 172 is the best to be doing it in

haha, OK well the good thing about simming is you can take it as serious as you like. I started off as a casual flyer, choosing any runway to takeoff and land, not caring about processes and procedures. But given time and learning a lot from internet and forums, I now fly as per real world rules and procedures as I can. Still there be people that go even further than me and go to even more of an extreme - it all adds to the fun. 

The 172 is a great plane to learn in as it's not too fast and not too slow that you're going to fall asleep on finals :) The A2A 172 also has these failures and features where by flying to the book is essential. 

Have you been simming for long? How far in are you hehe? This can be an addictive hobby and a pricey one at that too. Everyone here including myself are more than happy to help if you have any questions or anything. If you want to discuss essential addons I have a view on that too ;)

Only simmed for around 8 months at a serious level, I'm trying to cope with depression after the loss of my husband to cancer, it's hit me bad and this new interest takes me away from some pain briefly. I run contracts on FSEconomy so as I'm learning I'm also earning 'money' with each successful flight, I see that as my 'day job'. Then at weekends I fly the A2A172 on pleasure trips. When I feel comfortable I'll probably apply to a VA. I see you have a Flyuk.aero tag in your signature, I have been looking at them to fly for.

Oh I am sad to hear of your loss - all in good time I am sure you will start feeling better. It's good that the flight sim can at least provide some comfort to you.

I started off using Air Hauler, which is I believe a similar kind of tool than FSEconomy. Then I moved on to the FlyUK VA as I got the payware PMDG 737NGX and wanted to utilise that. What I also like about FlyUK is you can simply do what they call 'flying club' flights, and as long as you fly over 1 hour flight it will track your hours. But mainly I use it for the 737 trips. 

When you eventually start getting bored of that too, there is always VATSIM - this is when you have online people acting as the radar - so having ground, tower and approach at airports. This is fun but quite challenging at the start - don't let it scare you off though. 

I also joined a VFR group called CIX VFR and they hold VATSIM meetings and stuff. They also provide VFR VATSIM and flight training; funny enough in the 172, but only the default 172. The same would also apply to your A2A 172 though too. 

Recommended addons I would suggest grabbing are the following...

REX 4 Texture Direct
REX 4 Soft Couds
Active Sky Next 

UK2000 airports e.g. EGCC ;)

If you want a multiplayer experience without the strictness of VATSIM and radios - try FSCloud - This is also a good tool.

Take care :)