Leg 65 LDPL to LIPB - Pula to Bolzano

After a somewhat turbulent time at home having been maliciously cut off from the World Wide Web by the very secretive BT OpenReach guys, I finally received information that I should have been in Pula, Croatia at least a couple of weeks ago.  Having been thrust in to the dark ages by the aforementioned company by way of cutting our telegraph pole down and erecting a freshly hewn tree in its place, resplendent with a new connection box, we realised that the overworked, overpaid idiot of a technician failed to spot that he had not reconnected three local telephone lines.  Ours, being one of them.  So forgive me for not getting to Pula on time.

Having received my flight details outbound to Pula, I was comfortably ensconced on a Ryanair flight from London, Stanstead to Pula the very next morning.

Once I got there though is when my real trouble started.  I could not locate the Baton nor Jess.  I was told that she had indeed waited for at least a couple of flights to arrive from the UK, expecting me to be on one of them, once she realised I wasn’t there to greet her.  Unfortunately that’s where the trail ends.  Jess was nowhere to be found within the confines of the airport boundaries.

I later discovered that she had taken the baton and gone on a jolly around the hotter parts of Pula town, with a couple of local ladies who offered to show her the delights of what Pula had to offer.

I came across these guys and they told me that they had indeed been showing Jess around, as she had flown to Pula dressed in her best Goth outfit and that’s how she left the airport.  Obviously these guys knew straight away that here they had a sister in arms, so to speak and it was their duty to show her a good time in Pula.

GothsinPula1.jpg

They eventually let me into their little secret and that was, that Jess had left the Baton in a safe deposit box at Pula Airport and that a key would be waiting for me at security.  Jess had left Croatia and the last anybody heard was that she was heading to Scotland for a spot of Nessie hunting.  What a B****!

All that was left for me to do was to get back to the airport, find the Baton and hire myself a fairly decent steed that could get me to Bolzano in time to catch Steph, who by now would be worried senseless wondering where I was.

I found the Baton but Jess had left it in the deposit box, inside her favourite handbag.

DepositBox.jpg

Grudgingly I took the bag along.  I thought Steph could take charge of it until Jess could retrieve it at some later flight sim show.

I was to start my journey in to Italy with a dawn take off.  So I got back to the airport fairly early and logged my flight plan which was to take me almost in a direct line from Pula to Bolzano.  But the authorities had other ideas and requested that I follow their plan, which was to call at LIPD – Campoformido Military airfield en-route.  There, I was to pick up a military passenger who had cause to go to Bolzano that day and hearing that I was almost passing, could I stop and pick him up. Nae Worries.

00_RouteMap.jpg

So with an early departure I was out on the apron checking all was well with my steed for the day.

1st_FuellingUp.jpg

Making sure the trusty Baton was on board.

2nd_BatonOnBoard.jpg

Then just as the sun was poking its face above the horizon, I set off for Campoformido.  Gear Up!

3rd_AndAway.jpg

Altered course to 335⁰.

4th_HeadingNorth.jpg

The Sun is almost above the cloud layer now and everything is going well.

5th_SunisRising.jpg

Trying to dodge the weather down there.

6th_Lotsofweatherabout.jpg

The Sun finally makes an appearance as I’m being buffeted about with the wind.

7th_BurningSun.jpg

Above the cloud layers now and still a few stars out.

8th_CoursecorrectionVeryWindy.jpg

Some early company high above.

9th_MorningCompanyUpHigh.jpg

Starting my descent to LIPD and I’m in the cloud again.

10th_DecendingthroughcloudstoVenice.jpg

Downwind for Campoformido air base.

11th_OrderedtolandatCampofomido.jpg

The wind is still a major upset as I try to line up for final approach.

12thTurningFinal.jpg

Looks deserted to me. He had better be waiting after forcing me to detour to pick him up.

13th_NoOneHere.jpg

Ah well, my passenger is in the FO seat.

14th_CollectedaPassenger.jpg

No sooner is my passenger aboard, we are off to Bolzano and climbing to clear the mountains that will greet us on the way.

15th_OfftoBolzano.jpg

Just about cleared the mountains but I’ll be descending pretty soon.

16th_Justmadeit.jpg

17th_Weatherclosingin.jpg

Ahead I can see the valley that will lead me in to Bolzano.  Time to start my descent.

18th_IntotheBolzanoValley.jpg

Straight up the valley and a good slow turn should get me onto the active. The wind is just awful at the moment and I can’t wait to be on the ground again.

19th_DownwindforBolzano.jpg

After what seemed like an age, I finally get onto final approach but the wind is still causing havoc.

20th_FinalApproachinstrongwind.jpg

Left of the centre line is good in this wind.  Almost down.

21st_LeftofCentreinwindyConditions.jpg

Spooling down and I think I can just about make out Steph on the apron.

22nd_IthinkIcanseeSteph.jpg

I’ll leave it parked there for now.  I’m sure someone will hanger it for me later.  Now, to find Steph.

23rd_ParkedandAway.jpg

Ah! There’s Steph, so I can get rid of this garish bag and more importantly, the Baton.

LastPic.jpg

Well now that that’s over, my passenger disappeared in to Bolzano and he hardly spoke a word all the way.  Very nice considering I did him a favour, but that’s the Italian military for you.

Steph and I shared a beer or two and a couple of slices of chocolate cake. We had a good laugh at Jess’ pink Goth bag and we sat wondering just what was inside the Baton.  We had a good night on the town with the company credit card and we parted in the early hours of the morning and went our separate ways.  Leaving Jess with the Baton and a few hours sleep before she departs on her way. 

I just have to figure out how to get back to Scotland before the Bannister-Pearce’s drink all my single malt.

Until next time…….

Add-ons used.

FSX

FTX Global Base Package

FTX Global Vectors

FTX Global openLC Europe

FTX HD Trees

FS Global 2010 Mesh

Weather - Active Sky Next with textures from REX Texture Direct 4 and REX Soft Clouds

Aircraft - Pilatus PC12 from Carenado

Flight planning made using with Plan-G.

crikey.gif Steph has put on a bit of weight since last October.. how rude! I'm sure she wouldn't want to share in public.

Well done buddy, I would like to say it was worth the wait!  :rofl:

Well worth the wait Brian, excellent PIREP. :thum: I think everyone is wondering what is in the baton now. ^_^ Great shots, good to see the rig up and cranking out some nice eye candy. :cool:

I have to agree with Joe here, with your photoshopping skills you couldn't have given Steph some justice. <_<:P

Terrific job !

I find the PC-12 to be a bit rocky-rolly in the wind. When it moves it's like a Samba that swings so cool and sways so gently that...wait a sec...that's 'The Girl from Ipanema' ! PC-12 is more like a Rhumba...

I hit numerous patches of it recently touring NNZ and...well...I'll just say I'm glad I skipped lunch instead of tossing it... and waited for a big dinner in Auckland.

Some great shots there, Brian, although i think you got my less than glamorous side in those pics.I might need to rethink my cup size!  :yikes:

My PIREP is just posted but just before the Fourms go into a 3 day hibernation.. Hope its still there when the system comes up; its just taken me 2 hours to copy and paste the lot!

:D

• Like 2
7 hours ago, needles said:

Sorry Steph, I did look for any other females but she was the only one with the right posture for what it added I've the Baton and Jess' bag he he.

Then again, if Jess ever sent along that cake recipe to Steph...........:P

Good job getting us there Brian, and apologies for the confusion with the destination (for once I must give you credit for spotting an issue before it caused a problem :D)

Love the shots, and your subtle edits, although I doubt that handbag actually belongs to Jess (although she might have borrowed it from Lynda :P)