I watch the Steam forum for snippets of useful info but ignore the rest.  That forum has been full of whiney arsed children since the very first video was released.  Their whining bares no relation to reality. If they keep it up they'll kill it before it gets a chance to develop. 

Not to mention most in there are treating it like it's the full sim rather than just the flight school release. 

• Like 2

I'll just re-post the thoughts I added to Joe's post on facebook here as well..

The comments on the Steam Forums looks mostly like they had to high expectations on what the product would offer.
Firstly I can't understand the demand for commercial jets and third party add-ons.. DTG have been pretty straight forward with the fact that Flight School would be focused on GA, and that it would be an entry level Sim aimed at newcomers with no 3rd party support, if one took the time to actually take in the information.

Secondly, you get a sim with FTX Global Base as the foundation for ground textures for a fraction of the cost that FTX Global costs for FSX/P3D.. in what way can one then expect ground scenery that looks like First Person Shooters??

• Like 2

Yeah there are a lot of moaners over on steam.. it is sad but they seem to think it was meant to be like a fully loaded FSX/P3D with REX..ASN..PMDG etc.. we all knew it wasnt...its like a sim to hook in newbies really..I bought just really to see what they have done now its 64bit and dx11..its not all bad but hopefully when the full sim comes out they will have it better..FSX with no addons is dire lets not forget that we just have to decide if we want to give them a chance.. personally I am ok with £12 cost..like was previously said that cost for sim and global was a good deal...

• Like 1

Congratulation Dovetail!!!

indeed a very exciting day for our industry and a milestone achievement by Dovetail Team!

this is the first platform to come out now after many years of platform development being dormant,

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I had my first lesson in Flight School last night and I have to be honest I am not that impressed. I do not have a SIM dedicated PC so it is not the best however it copes very well with Steam and FSX, SE. However Flight School was laggy, jumpy, missing parts of the picture and all sorts of other problems. My Saitek controls were very slow to respond in Flight School as well.

Due to the above problems my first take off was awful however the instructor congratulated me and said I had passed and could move on to the next level. I found this surprising as I was expecting him to say something along the lines of "go back and have another go"

I did not go any further last night instead I decided to take a flight in the main FSX SE programme.

I will probably give it another go and take Lesson 2 but I feel quite deflated after last night so will not be rushing.

Mike

At our last FS club meeting two members who bought the Dovetail Flying School app have the same complaint as you - miserable performance on computers that run FSX just fine.  They say the scenery is magnificent but the AC and cockpit is pretty much a slide show.  Neither one is even close to being happy with it and it didn't seem to be a case of unrealistic expectations - both of them knew before buying that it was a GA-oriented flight training app, not a full-blown, wide-ranging simulator.  They said that the performance is so bad that it's essentially unusable for the intended purpose.

John

Spot on John,

I knew what I was buying as well, as you know I am still considered a newbie to this game and the thought of a "Flight School" appealed to me so I could use it alongside FSX. I subscribe to a couple of great guys on Youtube and the way they teach and get the lessons across to students such as myself are 100% better than DTG Flight School.

I found this on Youtube posted by Jordan King I will take a look when I get home and you might want to share it at your club?

• Like 2

I was watching some videos of the lessons and one thing I noted was how annoying some of the verbal cues were when not maintaining certain criteria like altitude, heading or speeds. These property triggers do not take into account the time it takes to reacquire that said criteria and constantly repeat themselves creating unneeded tension in the cockpit. It's an easy fix that I hope they update.

I also thought the mission order was odd it that they would have you do something in the previous mission and then the next mission would cover the same thing. There wasn't that many missions in the package either for something that was designed to get your PPL but I guess it was aimed more toward the gamer market than the simulation folks so I shouldn't jump on them to much, still I hope there is some kind of ground school included. 

My position has reversed on the Piper that was included, that cockpit is rather poor in it's modeling and the gauges and radio stack are hard to read. I still wonder if it is based on the MS Flight platform.    

Someone also added (at our meeting) that the free add-on AC that was included for those who pre-ordered was quite the exception - it  performed well and was very smooth and nice but could only be flown within a small area of Oregon.   :wacko2:

I've heard this story about Flying School's poor performance on machines that run FSX just fine too many times for it to just be a fluke.  This appears to be a real problem for a lot of people.  DTG needs to get on the stick, get to the bottom of this and get it fixed, pronto.

Whoever is making the decisions at Dovetail needs a wake-up call.

John

Well I'm going to buck the trend here and say I'm seeing no performance issues. I don't have an uber computer rig but I'm finding it runs very smooth even with the settings maxed. The one issue I do have with FS is just how quick the instructor is to take over the controls when he thinks you aren't doing as you're told, especially on the PPL check flight. He's so quick as to make it very difficult to successfully finish the flight. Other than that, I really don't see any major issues with it.

Someone mentioned how good the add-on ac is that was supplied to the pre-orderers. That hasn't been released yet. I pre-ordered and haven't received the Diamond DA42 as yet.

Edited by Mistwalker

The guys I talked to had already used the DA42 and liked it a lot but were frustrated that they could only fly it in a limited area.

I guess I should have made it clear, and will now, that I don't have any first hand experience with Flying School.  I talked face to face with two who did but haven't even seen the screens myself.  To be clear, what I posted above is hearsay, albeit from a couple of guys I consider both knowledgeable and reputable.

John

The DA42 is being released this month if you got it on preorder...my settings are all on ultra and it runs very smooth... there is a lack of lessons I feel and the instructor does jump in quite quickly.. i did feel the same with FSX though regarding instructor taking over.... currently I can fly either AC anywhere.. its ok and is not aimed at me really which my explain why I got bored with it quite quickly...

Hi Steve, nice to see you, haven't seen you in awhile.:) 

If you have automatic updates on you will get it when it comes out this month of June, they are also on their fifth update so if you don't it would be a good time to check in with them.

Hiya Brett. Likewise. Glad to be back.

I abandoned flight simming for a while as I was sick of fighting the ever present OOM but now we finally have a 64bit alternative, I'm really hoping it becomes a success. I do have auto updates enabled. I was just a little confused over how someone could be commenting on the DA42 as it hadn't been released yet but later realised they must be talking about a preview copy they'd been sent.

Anyway, I'm really quite excited to see how the full DTG flight sim pans out when they (hopefully), release it later this year. I have no idea how easy or hard it is to convert 32 bit software to 64 bit, or even if it's possible at all, but if it's relatively straight forward, surely many of those addons made for fsx over the years would soon start being converted for use in DTGFS?

I could be wrong but I think it would have to be written in 64 bit, converting from 32 bit would be a nightmare. 

The jury will have to wait on what the new game will look like when finished and if longtime simmers will even want what they offer. No one knows at this point except those involved in making it. I'm going to keep on working with what I have got because at this point nothing looks better to me and if I have to drag back the settings or tweak away I will do it, FSX is like an old friend and I'm happy in my misery.:)