Air Hauler 2 Early Access released!

ah2ea.jpg

Air Hauler 2 is initially being released as an 'Early Access' version.

Early Access means that Air Hauler 2 is not yet 100% complete, but is at an advanced stage of development, meaning that it can be released to everyone who's keen to see what’s new and provide their input, if they wish, to help the developer in adding new features and resolving issues in the final stages of its development.

AIR HAULER 2 EARLY ACCESS FEATURES

• In-flight menu system – manage your company and accept jobs without leaving your host simulator 
  • Cargo jobs – more variety, better paid jobs, and much, much faster generation than in Air Hauler 
  • Passenger operations – fly single passenger jobs between any airport you choose, or set up a schedule and routes for your airline to fly. You can let your AI pilots fly these routes or you can fly any of them at any time. 
  • New AI pilot skills tree system – AI pilots can now be ‘trained’ in over 18 different skills which bring benefits to your company. As the AI pilots improve, they ‘level up’ in rank which gives them more skill points to spend. 
  • Take missions from clients at airports – supply them with rare commodities or perform photo recon flights or private charter flights. 
  • Commodity trading – buy and sell commodities rather than just move them for clients. Make your own fortune trading between airports! 
  • Upgrade your bases – upgrade them with fuel depots and commodity storage facilities, allowing you to hedge fuel prices, and store commodities long term. 
  • Factories and production – build factories at your bases and use them to produce desirable commodities which can’t be bought on the open market. 
  • See full airport charts in Air Hauler 2 itself 
  • Find aircraft parts from vendors – find these at larger airports and use them to repair your fleet or build new aircraft yourself rather than buying them! 
  • New type rating system – get qualified on aircraft before you or your AI pilots can fly them. 
  • Buy and fly aircraft in your personal fleet – you can also transfer money from your company into your own personal account. 
  • Buy new aircraft direct from the manufacturer, or buy second hand – have the aircraft shipped to you or go and collect them yourself and fly them home. 
  • All-new Map views with great circle routes – several map tile choices are available. 
  • Create ‘custom airports’ – create an airport which will be recognised in Air Hauler 2 for any scenery which doesn’t create a ‘proper’ airport in Flight Simulator (i.e. the Orbx series and other airport add-ons). 
  • Included database of common aircraft – designed to populate the stats while importing – no more searching for fuel burn figures! (This will be fully populated during Early Access with the assistance of players.) 
  • Early Access forum – help shape the development of Air Hauler 2 throughout the Early Access period, and beyond! 

EARLY ACCESS FEATURES COMING SOON
(NOT SUPPLIED WITH THE INITIAL EARLY ACCESS RELEASE)

• Create, staff and fly for your own Virtual Airline or for other players’ Virtual Airlines 
  • Work with other Air Hauler 2 pilots in game to complete community goals to build new facilities such as commodity fabrication factories or aircraft construction facilities 
  • Compete for jobs from a global shared job bulletin board 
  • Work together with other Air Hauler 2 players to introduce new facilities and commodities into the game by completing shared missions and objectives.

See the Air Hauler 2 page on the Just Flight website for more details and FAQs!

I've got a ticket open with their Support department. I cannot log in the special forum arranged for comments, problems, feedback. 

I flew my first revenue flight in my (newco cessna 172). That seemed to go ok. I got paid, by the looks of things. 

Seems like there's a heap of cool stuff but I don't want to import one of my existing companies until I've had a chance to kick all the tires. Next step, after flying a few flights, is to peddle that 172 and replace it with a 182 or a 208.

Sigh...growing pains, baby steps.

Support ticket in...upon trying to activate the Upgrade installer it says there is no record of it being purchased on my account...hehe...despite me downloading the installer from the product download button on my account download page. heh.

I suspect that Duncan may be in the middle of reloading an update... :D

2 hours ago, Quickmarch said:

I've got a ticket open with their Support department. I cannot log in the special forum arranged for comments, problems, feedback. 

That problem is now solved. Thanks to the efforts of Simon from JF.

Anybody else runs into it -

the solution is to type in your "order number" manually. At least, in my case, the cut and paste from the email sent (I use Thunderbird as an email client) was picking up something like an extra space. Hard to tell when all you see is a bunch of asterisks - *********.

You use your email address as your username and your JF Order Number as your Password. Don't forget to update your profile ASAP so everyone will know who they're talking to.

Have fun, make money. 

Crap...I think I know what happened...probably not JF's problem. I have a boxed version of AirHauler-1 purchased from the shelf at a Fry's store. I doubt that JF is responsible for upgrading a Fry's purchase...but I hope Duncan can help with that. :(

@CCoffee

When I first started the install process, AH2 gave (I think) four options as to where you were upgrading from. Download version, boxed version, etc. I panicked a bit because I was not sure whether the disk (I have the boxed version) was on the boat or in the condo - fortunately I found it in the condo. The boat is 1/2 hour away.

• Like 1

Yep. Same. That sorted it out. Passed 172 type rating and hauling first load.

Didnt figure out how to tell AH2 that i wanted to fly two jobs/legs in the same flight plan...had to program it into the planner myself in the sim.

Just for info, my airport diagrams are built into AH2.  I believe they will be from an AH2 server that Slopey will maintain, to help keep the footprint on the user's machine smaller - there are about 1.2 GB of them currently.  They can be pulled up by the user for job evaluation, flight planning and navigation, within the AH2 application.

• Like 2

Yeah :thum:- and rightly so, they're great diagrams. I saw the reference and loaded one on my first revenue flight. That's two for you now, what with Plan G offering them as well.

I'm still trying to figure out how to load the destination chart and/or an alternate. That'll come. I'm busier 'n a one-armed paper hanger right now and haven't been able to do much except load the software, get my type rating on a 172 (for the second time) and do a two-way revenue flight.

AH2 is looking good. Should be fun.

Would someone compare AH withe FSE please?  

I've not tried either yet but on brief reading a) I am concerned about 'monthly commitments' on AH - I can't always take a lot of time to fly long trips. b). I like the FSE idea of flying passengers too. .... And probably many other differences.  

I prefer to fly Socal area with Pilotedge but note all the FSE FBOs are taken already - whether that affects me?

Thanks

I saw your charts for KSTS pop up when I made a company there.

I have type rated for about 6 planes so far, hauled 4 cargos as far as Nevada...but am having major growing pains getting used to the UI. I'm afraid Duncan designs using "Windows and Tabs"...not so much graphically...it is a major hunt through tabs and options trying to find "What I want To Do" every time I want to do something...anything. :(

The original AH was the same, but the program wasn't nearly as complex, so the tab/window hunt for that one didn't take long to figure out...this one...OMGarshdarnit :( Combine that with not being sure if Lack of Progress is due to bugs or my confusion, adds to the confusion.

Wish he had a look at some "gamer style game" UIs for some inspiration how to make a Graphical UI...even color coding functions would make things easier to spot...Green for Cargo functions, Blue for Pax....anything to reduce the tab reading.

I managed to complete my first AdHoc pax trip last night. I sold 4 tickets to Siskyu county KSIY from KSTS...about a 220 miles total. The trip was a total cash loss, but customer's arrived 100% satisfied, and I gained some Pax Rep...maybe they will pay more for tix next trip. Also have my first AI running a scheduled pax route from KSTS to KTVL-Tahoe. Won't find out if any tickets sold till I get home.

It was an interesting change of pace from AH1...waiting for boarding, listening to a stewardess explain cabin proceedures while taxing. Waiting for take off slot. Watching the pax satisfaction climb during the trip was nice too...must have enjoyed the complimentary coffee service. :D

I might have made a mistake by starting in "Career" mode. @Captain Coffee is flying pax and I'm still flogging around the PNW in a C-172! Time to burn Newco and start in a higher class.

AH2 is doing pretty well and there are A LOT of users in that Early Access forum and a lot of pilots shown flying on the radar map.  True to form Duncan is releasing roughly an update a day or better and stamping out brush fires as they emerge.  It's not bug-free yet and not all the functionality is turned on yet - no surprise for an early release version - but it's good enough to be usable and the folks on the forum seem to be pretty excited about it.  

There's a good discount associated with buying into the early release too so if you're considering it, you might want to jump.  

John

I gotta agree with JA. The early release is looking good.

I'm a bit worried about Duncan, though - I wonder when he sleeps?

I started a second company in easy pax mode, so now I'm going to be a big-time airline owner. This should be fun! Right now I'm waiting for my new hire to complete her check ride on the 737, then we'll sell some tickets. 

Yahoo!!!

• Like 1

I do have one question - in the previous version of Air Hauler you could set the max range that you want the jobs to be generated and therefore limit your flights to some distance. 

In AH2 - is it possible to say ONLY have flights within the UK? or is it based on a radius setting like before? I am thinking of having East Midlands as a base and would like to cover only the UK.

Also, has anyone started using any A2A aircraft and also PMDG aircraft in AH2; any issues at all?

Thanks guys,

Jim

6 hours ago, UKJim said:

I do have one question - in the previous version of Air Hauler you could set the max range that you want the jobs to be generated and therefore limit your flights to some distance. 

In AH2 - is it possible to say ONLY have flights within the UK? or is it based on a radius setting like before? I am thinking of having East Midlands as a base and would like to cover only the UK.

Also, has anyone started using any A2A aircraft and also PMDG aircraft in AH2; any issues at all?

Thanks guys,

Jim

It appears to be radius based, but there seems to be an issue with setting ranges...maybe? It appears as though adjusting the aircraft's range affects GPH calculations, and might screw up the fuel cost calculations. I have "un-adjusted" most of the planes I use in AH in order to actually earn money hauling pax in AH2.

It might be Range based calculation problem, might be "adjusting fuel tank size" problem...not sure yet.

But to your specific...can I only fly in X country...yes, but like before, you will have to ignore all the jobs that spawn to Non-X Country. :P There doesn't seem to be any option to limit jobs by region/country/etc.

Edited by Captain Coffee
7 hours ago, UKJim said:

No, that's not possible and probably never will be.  AH and FSX are pretty much unaware of national boundaries.  It's possible that he might be able to program some kind of filter based on ICAO codes but that will not work in every case because there are airport IDs that don't conform.  It's a simple matter to just set the range slider to an appropriate distance and  ignore jobs to/from places you are not interested in.  If you don't accept a job you have no obligation to fly it.  Let the competition have them.

For pax jobs, they are not "offered" - you create them and you set the origin and destination, so not an issue there at all.  Make 'em what you want them to be.  

I see people on the Early Access forums using both PMDG and A2A.  There are some complexities with the PMDGs in particular that have caused some concern but there seem to be workarounds and solutions emerging for them.  The Majestic Dash 8-400 seems to be the biggest bad actor and even that seems to be yielding to some workarounds and specific techniques.

John