P3D and the costs of moving across

:huh:   I'm *still* in two minds about moving to P3D. It seems an awful lot of hassle, considering that the process will break many of my older airports some of which date back quite a way (OK maybe I can get some of them back with the Flightsim Estonia Migration Tool, and maybe not), but worse still, financially speaking it would also force me to re-buy my PMDG titles and various other things such as the RealAir Turbine Duke and the Flight1 GTN 750, so they would all have to be added to the rapidly-mounting cost.

My FSX runs well and looks good (in DX10 mode, thanks to The Fixer), so it ain't bust and I keep telling myself not to fix it. But the thing that has always bugged me about FSX since day one — the missing cloud shadows on the ground — still irritates me enough to make me return at intervals to the possibility of moving across....

OK, I think I understand the license thing (strictly no entertainment or recreational use because that would compete with Micro$oft, right, right  ;)  :P ), but $199 is £137.90 before I even start re-buying the add-ons.

Nonetheless, the latest v3.3.3 has got me looking at P3D again....   <sigh>

In view of the significant additional costs of the re-purchased add-ons (grrr...), here's a question (I apologise, but I can't find the answer on the LM site) — how often do you have to re-buy P3D? If I bought v3.3.3, is it then upgraded for free (seems unlikely), or do I have to pay for each upgrade? Or do I pay for each *major* upgrade, e.g. when it moves to v4?

I keep telling myself that maybe if I wait until P3D becomes 64-bit....   :whis:

But if anyone could suggest a huge benefit which would help to motivate me to move across, I'd be interested to hear about it.    :)

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

• Like 1

imo there is no need to remove or discard your good old Sim,there is no conflict running both Sim's at the same time,

LM is charging for new version; not for the updates in between; updating v3.x up to the release of 4 is supported free of charge,

when they publish v4 you may have an option to upgrade at a lower cost (not sure though),

IMO v3.x is a safe investment for a a 32bit platform before the shift to 64bit, it is very unlikely they will release v4 that is a dedicated 32bit platform,

v3.x is the ironing out of all issues and bugs on 32bit platform before moving to 64bit,

if you ask me (this is not official or confirmed)

we already know that there will be two official P3D versions down the road; a 32bit and a 64bit separate of each other,

id expect an interim release for 64bit around v3.5 released for soft; followed by a stable and dedicated 64bit v4.x,

Regards,

Chris

YVW Bruce :)

in regard to waiting for 64bit P3D; if such platform should popup in the near future...

realistically we are looking at least a year from release date before this magnitude of application mature, fully migrated, and supported!

Regards,

Chris

V3 is best I have had so far...I still have fsx on machine but rarely use it except for AH2 testing...like Chris said even if LM went 64bit it would be a while before others were ready with updated addons..LM are really work this and I have seen great improvements since v2 when I first had it...only downside is your PMDG replacements are not cheap..good advice from Chris me thinks..

• Like 1