FTX global lights issue...

Yes its me again back with the problem that I have been facing for around 3 months...

This has really upset me as night flying is fun and there is nothing like being on approach with some night 3D orbs in vast quantity which is a feeling I haven't felt in a very long time.

Now whats the problem?

I re-install FSX se and in doing that I had to re-install FTX global. Now to note I operated windows 8.1 and then upgraded to windows 10 with no issues. I hadn't done much night flying ( That I remember ).  Point is that I am not sure whether the upgrade to windows 10 is the issue however no one has reported anything similar to mine in the large amount of research that I have done. 

The issue is that I do NOT get much night lighting within FSX SE, I get mostly long highways lighten with the FTX orbs but nothing else which looks rather gross. In highly vegetated cities or villages like Vancouver light looks better for some reason. Cities like London, Munich, LA, Sidney and list goes on look really bad. I have even tried product like TABURET which look good but cost more money and have severe performance impact ( In london I received 1 frame with Taburet) 

Main Points:

• Not much night lighting
  • Only big highways are light
  • Not sure whether upgrade to windows 10 effected anything
  • Autogene maxed out
  • I have FTX light installed

Now I would really appreciate and ideas support and I haven't received much or any, to have an answer to this issue or even better a fix would mean the world to me!

Hi Gavin

I think there are a few posts on the Hangar at the moment with regard to ORBX Global. I'm just in the process of reinstalling upwards from Windows7 after all sorts of problems with Global and Vector.

Their complexity and sensitivity to the order in the scenery library seems to be the root of a lot of problems unfortunately I don't know enough about how the layering would affect the lighting.. I suppose it's possible; I'm sure some of the Hangar guys will know. 

For me, the long winded and rather painful route of starting again is the only way to guarantee a stable base to my system. I would only suggest it as a last resort though...for obvious reasons.

Have you posted to the Orbx forums? They should be able to help with the Win10 side. Did they give you any explanation?

Hope some of the other guys on here can offer some sound advice on your particular issue and things get resolved for you.

Edited by hlminx

terrain cfg just the landclasse part do you need more) and why would that make a difference if the lighting is under landclass?:

[LandClasses]
OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE_0=0
LARGE_CITY_URBAN_GRID_WET_1=1
LOW_SPARSE_GRASSLAND=2
CONIFEROUS_FOREST=3
DECIDUOUS_CONIFER_FOREST=4
DECIDUOUS_BROADLEAF_FOREST=5
EVERGREEN_BROADLEAF_FORESTS=6
TALL_GRASSES_AND_SHRUBS=7
BARE_DESERT=8
UPLAND_TUNDRA=9
IRRIGATED_GRASSLAND=10
SEMI_DESERT=11
DRY_CROP_AND_TOWN=12
WOODED_WET_SWAMP=13
ORBX_FLOOD_PLAIN_WITH_TUSSOCK_SLOPE=14
ORBX_BRAIDED_RIVER_EW=15
SHRUB_EVERGREEN=16
SHRUB_DECIDUOUS=17
ORBX_LATE_SWITCH_FOREST=18
EVERGREEN_FOREST_AND_FIELDS=19
COOL_RAIN_FOREST=20
CONIFER_BOREAL_FOREST=21
COOL_CONIFER_FOREST=22
COOL_MIXED_FOREST=23
MIXED_FOREST=24
COOL_BROADLEAF_FOREST=25
SOUTHERN_DECIDUOUS_BROADLEAF_FOREST=26
CONIFER_FOREST=27
MONTANE_TROPICAL_FORESTS=28
SEASONAL_TROPICAL_FOREST=29
COOL_CROPS_AND_TOWNS=30
CROPS_AND_TOWN=31
DRY_TROPICAL_WOODS=32
TROPICAL_RAINFOREST=33
TROPICAL_DEGRADED_FOREST=34
CORN_AND_BEANS_CROPLAND=35
RICE_PADDY_AND_FIELD=36
HOT_IRRIGATED_CROPLAND=37
COOL_IRRIGATED_CROPLAND=38
ORBX_TUSSOCK_AND_FEW_TREES=39
COOL_GRASSES_AND_SHRUBS=40
HOT_AND_MILD_GRASSES_AND_SHRUBS=41
COLD_GRASSLAND=42
SAVANNA_WOODS=43
MIRE_BOG_FEN=44
MARSH_WETLAND=45
MEDITERRANEAN_SCRUB=46
DRY_WOODY_SCRUB=47
DRY_EVERGREEN_WOODS=48
ORBX_BRAIDED_RIVER_NS=49
SAND_DESERT=50
SEMI_DESERT_SHRUBS=51
SEMI_DESERT_SAGE=52
BARREN_TUNDRA=53
COOL_SOUTHERN_HEMISPHERE_MIXED_FORESTS=54
COOL_FIELDS_AND_WOODS=55
FOREST_AND_FIELD=56
COOL_FOREST_AND_FIELD=57
FIELDS_AND_WOODY_SAVANNA=58
SUCCULENT_AND_THORN_SCRUB=59
SMALL_LEAF_MIXED_WOODS=60
DECIDUOUS_AND_MIXED_BOREAL_FOREST=61
NARROW_CONIFERS=62
WOODED_TUNDRA=63
HEATH_SCRUB=64
ORBX_INDUSTRIAL_NS=65
ORBX_TOWN_CBD=66
ORBX_OIL_REFINERY=67
ORBX_SUB_REG_NW_SE=68
POLAR_AND_ALPINE_DESERT=69
ORBX_CAR_PARK=70
ORBX_CIRCLE_CROPS=71
MANGROVE=72
ORBX_SCREE_AND_ROCK_NS=73
ORBX_SCREE_AND_ROCK_EW=74
ORBX_SCREE_AND_ROCK_NW_SE=75
CROP_AND_WATER_MIXTURES=76
ORBX_SCREE_AND_ROCK_SW_NE=77
SOUTHERN_HEMISPHERE_MIXED_FOREST=78
ORBX_BRAIDED_RIVER_NW_SE=79
ORBX_BRAIDED_RIVER_SW_NE=80
ORBX_FIELDS_AND_WINDBREAKS_NW-SE=81
ORBX_FIELDS_AND_WOODS_1=82
ORBX_FIELDS_AND_WOODS_NW-SE=83
ORBX_MIXED_TREES_N-S=84
ORBX_MIXED_TREES_NW-SE=85
ORBX_MIXED_TREES_NON-GRID_1=86
ORBX_IRRIGATED_FIELDS_NW-SE=87
ORBX_GREENHOUSES_EU=88
MOIST_EUCALYPTUS=89
RAIN_GREEN_TROPICAL_FOREST=90
WOODY_SAVANNA=91
BROADLEAF_CROPS=92
GRASS_CROPS=93
CROPS_GRASS_SHRUBS=94
GRASS_SKIRTING_1=95
GRASS_SKIRTING_2=96
GRASS_AND_SHRUB_SKIRTING=97
DRY_GRASS_AND_DIRT_SKIRTING=98
SAND_AND_DESERT_SKIRTING=99
OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE=100
LARGE_CITY_URBAN_GRID_WET=101
LARGE_CITY_URBAN_GRID_DRY=102
LARGE_CITY_URBAN_NON_GRID_WET=103
LARGE_CITY_URBAN_NON_GRID_DRY=104
MEDIUM_CITY_URBAN_GRID_WET=105
MEDIUM_CITY_URBAN_GRID_DRY=106
MEDIUM_CITY_URBAN_NON_GRID_WET=107
MEDIUM_CITY_URBAN_NON_GRID_DRY=108
LARGE_CITY_SUBURBAN_GRID_WET=109
LARGE_CITY_SUBURBAN_GRID_DRY=110
LARGE_CITY_SUBURBAN_NON_GRID_WET=111
LARGE_CITY_SUBURBAN_NON_GRID_DRY=112
MEDIUM_CITY_SUBURBAN_GRID_WET=113
MEDIUM_CITY_SUBURBAN_GRID_DRY=114
MEDIUM_CITY_SUBURBAN_NON_GRID_WET=115
MEDIUM_CITY_SUBURBAN_NON_GRID_DRY=116
SMALL_CITY_SUBURBAN_GRID_WET=117
SMALL_CITY_SUBURBAN_GRID_DRY=118
SMALL_CITY_SUBURBAN_NON_GRID_WET=119
SMALL_CITY_SUBURBAN_NON_GRID_DRY=120
LARGE_CITY_HIGHRISE=121
ICE=122
INLAND_WATER=123
OCEAN_INLET=124
NON_PERENNIAL_INLAND_WATER=125
NON_PERENNIAL_INLAND_SEA=126
REEF=127
GRASS=128
ARID=129
ROCK=130
DIRT=131
CORAL=132
LAVA=133
PARK=134
GOLF_COURSE=135
CEMENT=136
TAN_SAND_BEACH=137
BLACK_SAND_BEACH=138
AIRFIELD1=139
AIRFIELD2=140
ROCK_VOLCANIC=141
ROCK_ICE=142
GLACIER_ICE=143
EVERGREEN_TREE_CROP=144
DECIDUOUS_TREE_CROP=145
DESERT_ROCK=146
SAVANNA_GRASS=147
NON_MOUNTAIN_ROCK=148

Hey Gavin,

There should be a whole load more data in your terrain.cfg file, so it's the whole file that Chris is talking about.

If you post the whole terrain.cfg he could look at it for any errors or anomalies that may be present.

Cheers

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gavoon1 said:

Sometimes, could you give me a little more detail what you need and how I do it, in regards to terrain cfg. Do i need to change some values for more lights?

Go online and find a dropbox service like Box.net or other, take your file and upload it to the site and post the share link here so Chris can download it.

One other note, the folks here give their free time to help you, words like please and thank you go a long way. An internet search will show you that Win10 will indeed break things, especially when it comes to FSX. Continued delete and reinstalls will not help unless you make sure all the files are deleted, some files are placed outside the FSX folder. Also you need to read up on each addon so that they are installed properly and in the correct order.

If your postings for help have not been answered it is because no one has seen or found the problem you have posted and it takes time to figure it out. If anyone can figure out your lighting problems it would be Chris the author of Night Environment so be concise and clear in your responses to his questions.

• Like 3

Thank you Gavin,

i checked your file; you had some errors there i fixed for you, you can grab it here -
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1jybxuowkheonbu/terrain.cfg

now the issue you're having is mainly because you're missing the whole whole autogen section FTX usually adds to terrain.cfg,

you have the texture portion; but the autogen section is still only default entries; which also explains why you don't see any autogen objects!

i believe you didn't install ORBX libraries as required after each update or new package installation!

download and install this package https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0By8a-7jAShVrNzF6S0FWbjNTM3M

for more info go here https://www.fullterrain.com/support

find the word "Orbx Libraries" on that page and read the information posted there,

• Like 1

Do I take the terrain cfg that you gave me  and replace the old with new? If I install those libraries will it add lights and the autogene stuff you are talking about and fix the problem?

I really Appreciate your support, the speed and the work you have done... My hat is off for you folks

Edited by gavoon1
  • Like 1

you're very welcome Gavin,

yes use the terrain.cfg i posted for you; overwrite the one you currently use,

then run the file from the second link (its latest orbx libraries);  i believe you should see what you're expecting afterwards,

the entries missing in your current cfg file will be added, as well other files required for normal operation with all their products,

Can I just drop the terrain.cfg in my FSX main directory or is there specific place it needs to go within FSX?

Got a error message when I ran FSX saying my terrain folder is damaged or missing but its in the FSX directory

Edited by gavoon1
  • Like 1

you need to place it back in the same place you originally had it in, (im not sure which platform you're on FSX or FSXSE)

you're original file is still posted here so you can always go back to it to see if the error persist,

is that where it is located when you get this error now?

did you install ORBX libraries yet?

note: during install evaluation if for some reason your install is deemed illegal copy; ORBX will proactively delete these entries and their files!

it is important that you have all your registration information entered correctly to avoid such mishaps,

I have FSX SE and I deleted the old and dropped the new into FSX main directory... I installed the new libs to dont see a difference i still see default building and no more night lights. Did I do something wrong?

• Like 1