A little bit of pain never hurt anyone.

I have a new toy. My love affair with military aircraft went a step further today, I bought the TacPack addon that has weaponised my flight sim

I have held off buying this addon as my love of flying military aircraft is all about flying them and not fighting them.  However I purchased a book called "Fighter Combat, Tactics and Maneuvering" published in conjunction with the US Navy fighter weapons school, and is an excellent book used in the past at fighter schools to teach aircrew how fight aircraft.

This book made me realise that if you are flying military aircraft there is so much more than flying like a tube ot GA.  Could I avoid a SAM? could I track and intercept another aircraft? could I successfully refuel in midair?  

At the moment these are still challenges to be met, but with TacPack I can do this and more. How much more I have yet to find out.  But as a taster some screen shots of a sam site in action. SAM sites, drones and usable aircraft carriers can be placed where you like and SAM sites can also be set to be active or not. The shots below are of an active SAM site, it has several missile sites which turn and track targets and then fire when they have a lock.

sam1.jpg

Missile fired

sam2.jpg

Close up of missile in flight.

sam3.jpg

SAM launch.

Edited by J G
  • Like 1

I love it!  Good stuff.  I avoid combat sims because I find getting handed my own ass in a singed helmet by snarky 14-year-olds to be somewhat outside my definition of fun.  

John

• Like 1
3 hours ago, allardjd said:

I love it!  Good stuff.  I avoid combat sims because I find getting handed my own ass in a singed helmet by snarky 14-year-olds to be somewhat outside my definition of fun.  

John

My kids play a lot of online games. I have tried these and I too have had the ass handing experience! - Also, quite honestly, I find this type of passtime far too shallow. I guess they have to be to appeal to snarky spotty oiks.

TacPack is different.  You can play multiplayer sessions, and there can be air to air combat if you want. It involves setting up an array of weaponry, radar and IFF systems in the aircraft on top of all the other work that needs to be done. Everything that is not an aircraft is A.I and so in a multiplayer session everyone gets to fly an aircraft, but most scenarios will be cooperation flying, flying as wing-men or as tanker and refueling aircraft .  However, that is not why I got it.  I want to fly intercepts, do carrier landings and takeoffs, avoid and evade SAM launches and do training bombing runs. On my own, most of the time.  I see it as taking my military FS experience to the next level. I can fly the aircraft like bus like all rookie airforce pilots.  Now I can undertake some combat training, and I mean serious tactical flying simulation, and most certainly not turning my FS into an arcade game :salute:

Edited by J G
  • Like 1

I spent many years flying jet combat sims, mostly Falcon 4.0, with a lot of buttons to push and the result often being only the opponent's blip disappearing from your radar MFD... :)

I'm since a few years flying only WW1 combat sims ( Rise of Flight, Wings over Flanders Fields ). Shooting under 100m relies mostly on the pilot's skill and understanding the strong and weak points of your aircraft compared to the aircraft of the other guy ( dynamic shooting and correction, weight and power of the aircraft, preferred direction of turn, etc.. )

• 1 month later...

I bought one a fair while back....but I have not really got started yet!!!:th_blush:  I hate reading manuals and it looks complicated.  I did try arming and firing something simple from the MilViz P-38.....but got nowhere.  I guess I will have to look at it again......:stars:

Martin