I am trying to install REX 4 into P3D v3.3 and I get an error when I run the setup program.  The error is this:-

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running. Check your computers system information to see whether you need an x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program and then contact the supplier."

This seems to indicate that I am trying to install a 64 bit program into a 32 bit PC operating system (assuming that backward compatibility will allow the otherway around).  However, I have a 64 bit version of Win 7 and as there is no 32/64 bit choise at the download I can only assume that the REX installer is 32 bit.

The above combination should work, and has worked in previous installs. 

Before I go to REX has anyone had this issue before me?

J.

37 minutes ago, mutley said:

Try using CCleaner or something similar to tidy your system registry up and try again.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks Joe but I am doing a ground up re-install. the registry should be clean as I haven't even installed a single aircraft as yet, such is the freshness of the install. All I have installed is Windows 7, P3D, all my ORBX stuff, FSUIPC, TacPack and simstarter.  That is all. 

If I can't find another solution I will give it a go.  I am going to install my first aircraft this evening, MilViz's Phantom so I will see if that goes well.

I ran CCleaner but no luck.  I checked my installed programs and I don't have any flight sim related 64 bit installs. 

It is almost like the install program is looking to a 32 bit system and going for the "Program Files" path.  This would be correct on a 32 bit O/S but wrong on a 64 bit O/S.

I am going to try a system restore back to when I had completed my ORBX install and see if that works.

Hi JG, 

A good while ago now I seem to recall something wrong when I tried installing Rex4 but not sure it was the same. It might have been that's all I can say. 

I got in touch with Reed Stough at Rex, he took control of my system by remote access and managed to sort it out for me. 

I would suggest doing the same, he is extremely helpful and knows what to look for. 

I hope this helps mate. 

Good luck.

Thanks Brian.  How did you get in touch with him?

I have tried a rollback and a fresh download of Rex 4.  Still the same issue.  Other things install correctly.  I am stumped at the moment!

1 hour ago, J G said:

Thanks Brian.  How did you get in touch with him?

I have tried a rollback and a fresh download of Rex 4.  Still the same issue.  Other things install correctly.  I am stumped at the moment!

JG, easiest way is post a support notice on the Rex site. When I needed help Reed was the first to get back to me and his help was excellent. He's also a member here but I don't think sending him a PM on here would be the correct course of action.

Thanks Brian. I guess it is worth a try if the issue persists. 

I had issues with installing TacPack in my build as a P3D v3.x version is not yet available and I wonder if it has broken something.

I want to change my partition sized in any event so I will try the rebuild option first and then if the same issue arrises again I will get in touch with REX.

The reason I say this is that I haven't had any issues with REX in the past both in FSX and P3D.

Lets see what happens. :huh:

Edit.  The reason I want to change my partitions is that I want to make a partition for P3D which will be my main FS, but I also want a smaller partitions for FSX.  This FSX environment will be used only for testing addons in FSX when I write reviews so that I can indicate any differences between FSX and P3D.

Edited by J G

Could it be that the installation of REX also tries to install a version of .NET that won't run on a 64-bit version of Windows??

Just a shot in the dark here, but I'm pretty sure REX needs .NET version 4.5