I picked this up yeterday, lovely model, manual leaves a bi to be desired and JF are picking up a bit of flak over the flight model, although I havent flown it enough to comment either way yet.  Apparently there may be a SP coming shortly? Theres also a pretty good EGOV valley freeware scenery so I'll be looking to do some mach loops in the hawk when I've learned to handle it :) K

I was going to ask how does it fly, also what kind of performance we get here - is there a performance hit? I was going to ask if anyone else has the previous jet they did and ask what that was like. 

So the manual isn't much good either? 

I am slowly turning around here :D although I do love the hawk!! :(

The manual is long and what is there is very informative.

People have commented there are no checklists or tutorial flights, which would really help, although I got started in 2mins via Google and Youtube.

It may just be my setup, but a number of gauges/switches in the VC didn't have tooltips so I struggled a bit at first actually mapping out in my head what did what.  (Prob age related though!)

I really love the hawk and it's a shame that JF didn't provide basics of checklists - I suppose I could find some off the web. I have heard the flight stability is not good and requires a load of trimming during a cruise; according to some, this is not realistic as it's a trainer and should be easy to trim out and let go of the controls. I don't know, I am not a pilot :)

I really want it, but if it's no good on frames or the handling of the plane is not as expected then I am not sure about it. When it's priced so high, I would like it to have all this stuff nice and pinned down. For just a little extra, I could get another A2A plane or go and find one from Milviz or something ;) BUT IT'S THE HAWK FOR GOODNESS SAKES!!!

GGGRRRRrrrrrr!!

Jim signing out!

There is mention of a SP being worked on at the JF forum.  As you say its a Hawk, so I picked it up in anticipation of it coming good, even if it isnt 100% there yet.  FPS seems fine for me so far on my old 2500K

OK so I started it after many failed attempts - I do not know what I did different after many attempts, but it finally started. So I thought I would power down runway and lift off for a spin - how wrong was I :( I lifted back and nose shot up - so I levelled out my control a bit but it nosedived into the ground - the sensitivity seems really off in this plane?

The startup took me an hour to figure out!!! I think, but not sure, it was the magnetos being set to off in my default flight - but then I could be wrong. I would have thought, if an addon company knows that people have startup issues, then they would default settings that are crucial to start the plane to a fixed value. Who knows? LOL

I am sure after the patch I will be happy because it's a hawk and I now have a hawk :D

I did it and I think it was because I turned off magnetos in my default flight - but I started it, took off, had a spin and then crashed because I pressed the wrong button on the shift+2 panel and shutdown engine lolol

I am having problems with this one too.  I found the fps are pretty good (I have an old computer) but the stability issues with the plane really bug me.  I also get the very pronounced nose high attitude when taking off.  If I mange to get off the ground in one piece, when I come into land, it tends to porpoise all over the place!!  I think that JF should have given more information on how to fly it in their manual.  It is amusing that this is a trainer and so difficult to fly, yet the JF Tornado (the real thing is a fully combat capable aircraft!!) is a breeze in comparison!!

Okay...JF had major issues with the Tornado when it first came out, but they fixed it.  Hopefully, they will do the same for the Hawk, especially as it is such a major release for them.  I also love the extra add on paint schemes and hope that they do even more!! 

Martin

I am sure they will fix this - I am just surprised it passed Beta testing to be honest, if it had any at all ;)

It should be fine though, few teething problems and get them sorted it will be a fantastic aircraft addon

I sure hope so!!  Maybe they were in a rush to push for it's release, as it was mentioned in PC Pilot that they were planning on a July release.

It may interest you that I saw some posts in the Just Flight forum about setting up the Hawk to help prior to the SP.  It included tips on trim settings and fuel distribution.  It may be worth a look for you.  I hope to try it soon.

All the best

Martin (who used to live in Nottingham UK, but moved to USA)

• Like 1

A small amount of instability issues might actually point to an accurate flight model.

In the late '70s Wing Commander Ian C H Dick of Air Staff at HQ RAF Training Command  and a former Red Arrows leader said:

"...owing to the sensitive efficiency of the wing and its low loading, turbulence can unsettle the aircraft and lead to a rough ride even at medium levels......This feature makes steady formation flying a challenge. However, the aircraft responds quickly to and positively to small control movements, ....."

I don't have this addon yet and so cannot judge the issues above, but clearly some degree of instability is accurate and a very sensitive stick is good too. This may be modeled by JG but the degree of the issue may be point of discussion.  

At some stage I will be getting this aircraft and only then I will be able to make an informed judgement.   

6 hours ago, J G said:

A small amount of instability issues might actually point to an accurate flight model.

In the late '70s Wing Commander Ian C H Dick of Air Staff at HQ RAF Training Command  and a former Red Arrows leader said:

"...owing to the sensitive efficiency of the wing and its low loading, turbulence can unsettle the aircraft and lead to a rough ride even at medium levels......This feature makes steady formation flying a challenge. However, the aircraft responds quickly to and positively to small control movements, ....."

I don't have this addon yet and so cannot judge the issues above, but clearly some degree of instability is accurate and a very sensitive stick is good too. This may be modeled by JG but the degree of the issue may be point of discussion.  

At some stage I will be getting this aircraft and only then I will be able to make an informed judgement.   

There's sensitivity where you still have control over the plane vyt then there is the above issues when during takeoff the plane is unpredictable and uncontrollable due to the sensitivity. 

You make a good point though it may be signs that they have actually put work into the flight model but maybe got one thing wrong in the process.  A small change may reduce the uncontrollable sensitivity but keep the quirky twitchyness of the plane.

Only time will tell and unfortunately I don't know a hawk pilot to compare the model as is and after the update. 

Either way it will be good, fast fun!