Vintage Air Rally

Thanks Kasper,:) I saved their route pdf for a future flight(s), it will probably be a lot nicer once ORBX/FTX release openLC Africa but that will be way down the road. Might fly it in something faster just for the heck of it too.

I like the idea of doing this in pre '39 aircraft and look forward to seeing pics. I wish all the pilots a safe trip because that sure is some rough territory they have to fly over in those old beaters. :pilotic:

@brett, I just purchased the Scenery Tech Africa landclass.

I know not exactly Orbx quality but I am willing to spend $15 to make Africa better looking.

On the other hand I might just do it in FS9 with all the CalClassic Africa scenery that I already installed..

Or both!

Brett, I am going to use the Hughes H1B in FSX. Day only VFR flights. First route planned with free Crete scenery from http://www.fsgreece.com/index.php/crete/ and the Africa Landclass. I will try to do the first flight somewhere this weekend and post in the adventures section. Real world schedule will not work with time constraints from work and family so I will just fly when I have the time.

Good choice of aircraft, the speed alone will make the trip feel shorter. I started making a flight plan for it, they don't give you the exact airports(ICAO Codes) they are using but only the cities so I am winging it.:D

Africa will be pretty hot. It will be summer in the southern part.

Overheating is always a problem with this plane, the 10 to 20 degrees extra don't change that a lot..

Even in North America you have to watch those dials all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Sam Rutherford said:

Hi, I'm the organiser of the VintageAirRally - and we'd love you to virtually join us on our adventure!

If you send me an email, sam at prepare2go.com we can supply you with full route details...

Safe flights :-)

Sam.

Sam,

If you can provide a list of the actual ICAO codes of the airports to be visited I'll be sure that I've produced all of them and will post a "bundle" in the "Special Events" section of the Airport Diagrams category of the MH File Library.  When that's done, if you care to do it, you can put a link to the bundle on your website.  All the diagrams are annotated with a "Not for Real World Navigation" warning, to protect me from the widow's lawyers of any fools who might do so.  

John

• Like 1

No Facebook page Sam but you can PM our Admin Joe, @mutley about his e-mail based "The Mutleys Hangar Review" which features "News from the world of aviation and flight simulation".:)

You can also find it on the home page half way down on the right side to read the latest one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/09/2016 at 01:15, Sam Rutherford said:

Received, and replied!

Is there a FB page for Mutley's?

Hi Sam, we do have a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/joe.lawford and Twitter @mutleys_hangar if you want to connect with us in other ways. We are already have links with FS magazines and other sites.

Regards,

Joe

35 minutes ago, brett said:

If I had a Facebook or Twitter account I would probably have known that, my bad.:D

No problem Brett :thum:

I don't think you need an account to view our pages but if you're on the forums you have probably aready heard about it!

• 1 month later...

Hi Sam, Not sure if anyone here actually "virtually" hopped on board this idea this year. If someone did do a fly along please correct me peeps and give us some updates!

If this is a yearly event (hopefully) maybe we can try to coordinate better next go around.

We run a similar virtual tour of the entire planet, Mutley's - Around The World Challenge/ATWC, with enough advance notice of your schedule it would be fun to schedule the legs of an ATWC section to coincide with the Vintage Air Rally in that area...requiring smaller than average aircraft, and possibly more legs than usual for a typical ATWC section to keep us at or near your Real Life pacing. (No Military Jets for these legs J.G. ..an opportunity for our "Roadrunner"J.G. to test his vintage flying skills vs his "Wiley" arch nemesis Putinfeld, Coyote-fight style. :D )

Any ATWC folks into the idea? Chime in and see if we can hook our events up somehow next year.

(And obviously I am volunteering to step and take some of that work off of our ATWC coordinator Stu's plate, rather than just dump it onto his work load...heh. Let me know Stu if you think we could make this happen...where is Stu these days btw?).