Which flight sim will you be using in 2017?

Which flight sim will you be using in 2017?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which flight sim will you be using in 2017?

• FS 2004 ACOF (FS9)
    • FSX / FSX:SE or P3D v1
    • Prepar3D (v2 or v3)
    • Prepar3D v4 (If available)
    • Dovetail Flight Simulator (If available)
    • X-Plane 10
    • X-Plane 11
    • Other (Please comment in forum below)

There has been a lot of renewed interest in flight simulation recently and 2017 is going to be a key year. 

We will have the new 64 bit Dovetail Flight Simulator coming on to the market, which if Flight School is an early view example, will be familiar to FSX and P3D users alike and will feature scenery by Orbx and aircraft from Alabeo from the start? 

Then there is X-Plane 11 with its new user interface, flight models and lighting and more than likely a V4 of Prepar3D by the end of next year which may not be backwards compatible if it is 64 bit.

Do you feel a need to be 64 bit? if so you will have to pay for the privilege, some developers have already said 64 bit is going to be a whole new ball game and it won't come free. Perhaps you are happy with the flight sim you have now and no doubt have a huge investment over the past 10 years? Or are you new to the scene trying to figure out what will be best to go with...

We would love to get your feedback, if you haven't been considering the future of our hobby perhaps you should? Developers like to gauge our opinions so here's your chance!

Please join in and comment in the forum below. 

Thanks

I will be sticking with my trusty FSX SE until a version of flight sim (any platform) supports 64bit and modern day hardware. I want my flight sim replacement to be as smooth as any other modern game out on the market right now. As for hard cash - I would pay for that as long as addon producers embrace the sim and also can stick with me for a good chunk of time.

There's my two penneth worth 

Thanks,

• Like 2

I'm on the same page as Jim. Until something comes out in 64bit that is as smooth as anything else running in the game world...I'll stick with old (won't call it trusty, but it's working...) FSX-Acceleration. I have a ton invested in it already and won't toss that into the trashbin without a very very compelling reason to do so. I won't sign onto to a contract that requires me to lie to Play a game...so P3D is right out and will never be on my table until that contract thing is dumped into the trash bin by the makers.

I am curious about DTG's upcoming work, but with all the talk of it being rewarmed and spiced up FSX...probably not going to jump into it either unless I can port over a lot of my FSX investment Addons...if it is basically the same thing.

So, yeah, unless something comes out that is Brand New and Programmed from the foundation up to be Brand New and Bug Free...I'll stick to what is working for now.

So my vote is "Other" for the future, as none of the above are tempting me to change right now. But as the question is What will I be Using in 2017...probably should have picked FSX.

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Like 2

I am going to be using FSX and P3D v3 in 2017.  I still do most of my everyday FS in FSX and I am still experimenting with P3D, I dont see that changing in 2017, unless P3D v4 looks too inviting.

• Like 1

I too have a lot invested in FSX and don't see a reason to change now, maybe a new build will make me move to FSX/SE. P3D certainly has a great looking platform but I can't see myself keeping up with their almost yearly versions. Will just have to wait and see what Dovetail comes out with but then again I have thousands of dollars tied up in the MS flight sim and it still works for what I need, procedural flying. Same reason I never tried X-Plane.

But then again, never say never.:D  

• Like 1

Likewise, I will be using P3D v3 or 4 if it gets released and also using FSX. I too have a lot invested in FSX but quite a bit of what I have is also compatible with P3D so no worries there.

I will however also be on the lookout for any 64bit platform coming out, which would have me champing at the bit.

• Like 1

I am staying with FSX Gold.  I have tried FSX SE, but for some reason did not get on with it.  I do have it still, should I want to give it another try, but I have invested heavily in FSX Gold.  I even paid 'a pretty penny' for a new, sealed copy about a year ago, just in case something happens to my current copy.  I would be lost without  flight simulator.....:(

Martin

• Like 1

I will mostly be using XP11 in 2017.

I still have P3Dv3 installed mainly for AH2 and I wont bother with a 64bit upgrade as I believe my addons probably wont work.

I did tinker with DTGs flightschool but wasnt overly impressed.

Edited by wain
more thought needed.....
  • Like 1

FSX Acceleration for me. Agree 100% with UKJim and Captain Coffee's comments.

I'll wait for the dust to settle and see what rises to the top before tossing good money out the window. There are a lot of competing developers out there right now but I do not believe the market can sustain all of them, as they need third party support to thrive. FSX is still a very viable platform for the time being.

• Like 2

I think investment into a sim is a key factor here, I am sure I have spent a few thousand pounds worth into FSX and to just cut that off would be a big deal for me. So the sim moving into will have to be something special ;)

• Like 2

I have to agree with you Jim...I have one AC that wont work with P3Dv3 and I am fine with that.. I will still use P3D as there are things about it I really like.. however I will upgrade for the 2nd time to XP11 as I am enjoying my Xplaning.. for me its not either/or question..I like both and will run both but starting over in a brand new sim where my addons and posibly satieks wouldnt work..its a no from me.. you only have to look at the shots on here from across all sims to see there is still a lot of great stuff going on.. and dont be fooled into thinking 64bit cures everything because it dont.. I get the odd issue in XP and have seen it using 12gig of ram but I never feel nervous about stability... good poll though ...good also that there will be some competition may get some to up their game....

• Like 3

Tend to fly with FSX for the most part.  Also use FS9 still with the EVO upgrade...makes a huge difference.  That said, I don't actually "fly" within it.  Laugh if you like but I use it to "Plane Spot".  Have an AI package installed plus Redux Lights & Contrails, all settings fully maxed. Great fun at large hubs watching all the comings & goings.  Yea, OK, so I am still a bit of a kid at heart.

• Like 2

If this year is anything to go by, FSX as I simply don't fly enough at the moment to justify any major changes. However, if the right sale comes along, who knows? I will be looking closely at the new Train Sim World by DTG using the Unreal4 engine (same one as for the new FS) and comparisons with the exisiting 32-bit game

• Like 2

i made a split, i use FSX Accel. for hauling and DCS for military flying, and this is already about twice (and a half) more as free time i have. I will consider a change, when somebody pulls out something solid on 64 bits. Though, atm, its pretty hard to compete with FSX "whole globe" type of modeling.

Dogtrack, i use to do the "Plane spotting" thingy too, ;)). Still do, if i have the time, after landing just sit there and let "just this one more plane to land".

I'll most likely stick with FSX:A for the most part.  There's just too much money sunk to abandon it.  But I will start dabbling in X-Plane.  Me and M$ are about at the end of our relationship.  If I can get a good flight simulator running on Linux natively, Windows will be just a bittersweet memory.

I think this is my first post here, so hello all.

I have a decision to make about what sim to run in 2017, as it looks like i'm finally going to be able to upgrade from my 2.4Ghz Q6600 with 4GB RAm and a 1GB nVidia card. If I wasn't running 64-bit Windows 7, I'd have given up ages ago.

Because I'll be starting afresh, I'm leaning towards FSX:SE, which I also bought ages ago for €5.00 just in case. From what I've been reading, there don't seem to be any migration issues if you don't have boxed FSX already installed. And people report that it gives a smoother, even if not actually faster experience, and handles VAS much more effectively. Worth a shot, I think.

P3D has yet to show me a killer feature that would make migrating a no-brainer. As for Dovetail, I'm 100% positive that I'm definitely going to wait and see. :)  I will be taking the X-Plane 11 demo for a spin, though.

Welcome to Mutley's Hangar Paul. 

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself here and if you have any questions, feel free to post them.

Whatever your question is relating to flight simulation, there are guys here that can help. (Mostly)

Have fun.

Cheers

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/11/2016 at 15:17, needles said:

Welcome to Mutley's Hangar Paul. 

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself here and if you have any questions, feel free to post them.

Whatever your question is relating to flight simulation, there are guys here that can help. (Mostly)

Have fun.

Cheers

Brian

Thanks very much