How to flight plan properly?

Hey all,

I been flying the PMDG 777 for a few months now, started flying long haul. I am planning on flying the 777 from London's Heathrow to Hong kong. I want to make flight as professional as possible. I use simbrief to flight plan, and I have ASN which I take a look at before I load flight sim.

Now how should I flight plan properly? I guess what I am saying is should I take a couple of hours to flight plan do I study my route, do I read the full flight plan document? I want to feel like I am fully briefed and aware on what I am embarking on, as for long flights there is weather and ETOPS ( Usually not always ) to take into account. 

Can anyone give an Idea of your flight planning process ( similar as to what a real long haul crew would do? ) maybe a step by step thing with a timeline..?

Thanks in advance

G

Gavoon,

If you want to be that serious about flight planning, and flying something as advanced as PMDG aircraft, you need to seriously consider Aerosoft's PFPX. A review is available on the following link.

http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/bc/pfpx/pfpx.htm

• Like 2

I don't believe the link I gave you above had the correct Library Download link included in the post, it might have been broken when the new site changed last time and I will try and fix. Try this link instead http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php?/files/category/15-commercial-sim-pilots-centre/ and check out the download "Pragmatic Planning - get your airline flight right.pdf" which will give you a good idea about how Bruce does it and what he will do when planning for the flight, along with all the other downloads he recommends.

No problem, anymore questions please let us know. :)

I checked out SimBrief and it looks fairly good and it has also been upgraded from the last time I looked and the best part is that it is free. Does it also supply charts because it helps me to give them a good lookover before the flight and it does take time to look them all up manually.

Edit: I see it doesn't but you can always get a Navigraph subscription if you fly a lot of different routes.