My FSX world is changing....what is happening?

Ok...here is the situation.  I have had Microsoft  FSX running nicely for a little while, and I have been very happy:D . Yesterday, I had to do a system restore on the PC due to another program crashing.  It resolved the situation with the program, but when I went to flight sim , I started having scenic problems.  For example, if I fly from Leeming in the UK, the depicted coastline is made up of a series of 'blocks' i.e. 90 degree segments of land.  No nice, flowing Yorkshire coastline...just straight lines.  Ok...I went to look at the view from above and expanded the map a bit and thought that things looked better at my destination which is Leuchers  The coastline seemed normal!  But when I got north, the blocks appeared yet again where I am flying!!  Gee, I want to fly...not play with building blocks!!! :faint:

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on and how to resolve it?  This has happened before and the more I messed with it, the worse things got! On the previous occasion, I tried removing the .cfg. file, so that upon restarting FSX, it would rebuild itself, but this did not work!  In the end, I had to completely reload FSX.

By the way, I currently have Flight 1 Ultimate Terrain loaded but another thing I tried before, was removing this only to be left with the same problem!

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

It could be so many things but perhaps some of your FSX files have become corrupt?

You could try using the FSX repair option by putting FSX disc one in the drive and taking the repair option.

Agree with Joe regarding FSX repair, had an issue way back on a previous OS where I had to use a restore aand it messed up so many other things, in the end I had to reinstall various programs, hope you get ti sorted...

I have to say that this past week I had a Windows 10 problem which could only be resolved with a new installation of the OS, so I had to reinstall the sim as well as all the program data files and registry entries were lost. 

6 hours ago, mutley said:

It could be so many things but perhaps some of your FSX files have become corrupt?

You could try using the FSX repair option by putting FSX disc one in the drive and taking the repair option.

At the risk of sounding dumb, how do you access the repair option?  I have never been able to figure that out.  It does occasionally pop up by itself as an option, but when I want it...I can't seem to find/access it....

TIA

Ah! in theory (As I no longer use FSX) Put your disc one in to the drive, it should have an auto run which starts the procedure. It will recognise you already have FSX installed so it should offer a repair option. If auto run does not fire up on your PC then used file explorer (Windows key + E) to browse the CD and look for the setup.exe. file. Hope it works bud :) 

been there Joe the other week, reinstalled an old OEM version of 8.1 all ok since....

When you have done the repair you may also have some issues with any other addons that may now be corrupted....best of luck though I hope you get it sorted Martin....PC's can be very frustrating....

7 hours ago, mutley said:

Ah! in theory (As I no longer use FSX) Put your disc one in to the drive, it should have an auto run which starts the procedure. It will recognise you already have FSX installed so it should offer a repair option. If auto run does not fire up on your PC then used file explorer (Windows key + E) to browse the CD and look for the setup.exe. file. Hope it works bud :) 

It does not want to cooperate...it does not bring up the repair facility even though FSX is loaded. :stars:  Why don't they make things easy????

So...if I do a reload, would it work putting FSX onto a small external hard drive such as a passport type thing?  My thinking would then be if I need to do a system restore again, then I could unplug the passport from the USB while this is being done, and hopefully FSX would be unaffected!!

If I go down that road, would there be a lag with input commands from items such as the joystick and throttle, seeing as the program would not be on the main PC.  It is a bit frustrating, as I put in a second hard drive on the PC for FSX....I am sure that I could find another use for it though if needs be though. 

Any input would be appreciated.

TIA

I'm sure others will confirm my thoughts, but running FSX off an installation on an external HDD is not recommended for pure performance reasons. As frustrating as it seems, under such circumstances, biting the bullet and pursuing the full reinstall option is the best as it eliminates any other corruptions/problems which may have been introduced as part of this situation. It often occurs that once a problem of this nature appears, it is either difficult to fully "repair" and/or other problems start to appear as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts, Andrew.  I decided to bite the bullet  and reinstall it from scratch on my PC hard drive.  I am now back in business, but have a lot more add-ons to reinstall!!

Thanks to all who have offered their support....you guys ROCK!! :thanks:

Regards

Martin

• Like 2