Active Sky 2016 - Is it worth the upgrade?

1 hour ago, wain said:

All sorted John? looking at maybe upgrading fromASN to AS16 with my REX HD Textures and Soft Clouds, I am guessing by the previous posts they work well....

Yep - all looks to be working OK.  As suggested by the others I'm only running REX Essentials + Overdrive when I want to roll the dice again for a new set of textures, and running AS 2016 as the actual WX engine.  So far it seems to be working pretty well.  

John

EDIT - I don't have AS Cloud Art and apparently not the exact same flavor of REX you mention, but similar, I suspect.

EDIT EDIT  I may not be the John you were referring to - I mistook this for the other AS thread that's currently active.

JDA

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who knows, Wayne? There could be better drivers around now. It's easy to go to the manufacturer's website and download a new set.   There's a mess of stuff that needs to be addressed to get

Hi John,   There is a trial key available which is the full version valid for 7 days. http://hifisimtech.com/as16-fsx-trial/   As much as we can rant and rave, or dismiss the produ

Thanks guys for the precious info, I was looking for some good advice and found it here. Just got AS16 (upgrade from ASN) without ASCA, I'll be using REX for textures.

Posted Images

Perfect set up John :thum:

If anyone is starting anew, then I would recommend REX Texture Direct for the textures, and AS16 for the weather generation.

(REX Essentials +O/D mentioned by John above is a combination of texture and an older Wx engine, so there is some doubling up of functionality :stars:). 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, wain said:

On the subject of Saitek trimwheel I find if I move the wheel it disables my Thrustmaster flightstick, dont know how and certainly dont know how to stop it happening...driving me bonkers, in FSX this is as I have sacked P3D......

It's the Saitek drivers, Wain. Hard to track them all down and kill them. Best done through control panel - I just uninstalled all of the Saitek drivers and let windoze supply the default drivers. That seems to solve the problem. Just watch out for 'automatic' updates discovering that you have a Saitek device on your machine and , horror of horrors, no matching driver.

• Like 1

I'm having fits with the Rex install. Too bad, but Joe's advice came a bit too late - I'd already purchased and (as described below) tried to install Rex Essentials with overdrive. Also, just when I need advice, Rex is doing an upgrade or something to their forum site and it is down.

What's happened is that I downloaded and installed reams of .cab files (took a while) and an installer for the Rex GUI. Because I was doing this for P3D I purchased the P3D license and received an email confirmation of payment - also an email confirmation for the RE+O with appropriate registration numbers and license stuff.

Anyway, long story short, the turkey doesn't work and I can't figure out why until their forum site is back online (no guarantees then, either - we'll see how it goes). When I click on the 'I just want to fly' button the GUI tells me I can't install textures to P3D until I have a valid license. Strange! I get the notification that the P3D license is activated in the 'Configuration Manager'.

I must be missing something.

Sort of - got a reply from REX.

Don't anyone get me started on a rant about using 'forums' to solve issues with software (I'll do that on my own). Where did that business model come from?

Appears my problem is a "Tier 2" problem for them, requiring much patience on my part. Strange thing is that from where I'm sitting it's a Tier 1 problem 'cause they got my money, their gadget doesn't work, and I wanna go flying in the clouds.

Don't take me seriously - all in fun - 'ya know. It's cold here in sunny, downtown Victoria and I have nothing better to do. I think I'll see if I can fix the wonky RWY 27 ILS at CYYJ in P3D. That'll keep me out of trouble for a while.

Thanks Brett,

I might be better off with an entirely new post as this one is deviating substantially from the original (mostly my fault - lazy). I'm going to try a bit more today before making any other posts.

Basically: I can see no evidence that Rex Essentials is even working. In fact, there's evidence that it is not - "Fly Now" does absolutely nothing, the flight planning stuff is not working at all.

Unfortunately, I have to go out o town on Tuesday and won't be able to get back to this for most of the rest of the month.

I'm going to shuffle over to the P3D section of Mutley's and start a new thread.

Not to worry John, if everyone that went off topic around here got there hand slapped we would all be walking around with red hands.:D Safe travels and will check out the new thread.:)

On 06/01/2017 at 18:09, Quickmarch said:

It's the Saitek drivers, Wain. Hard to track them all down and kill them. Best done through control panel - I just uninstalled all of the Saitek drivers and let windoze supply the default drivers. That seems to solve the problem. Just watch out for 'automatic' updates discovering that you have a Saitek device on your machine and , horror of horrors, no matching driver.

I have looked high and low, under the HDD, behind the GPU, cant find any saitek drivers anywhere but still this wheel is an issue....why is nothing easy anymore.....

• Like 1
On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 17:20, wain said:

I have looked high and low, under the HDD, behind the GPU, cant find any saitek drivers anywhere but still this wheel is an issue....why is nothing easy anymore.....

Have you checked behind the sofa?  Or behind the butter in the fridge?  That's where I find lost things. Except single socks, If the Saitek drivers are in a lost sock then you have had it!

• Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 12:20, wain said:

I don't have any Saitek products but have you tried looking in your Device Manager although I'm not sure what category they might be under. 

Go to:

Control Panel\System\Device Manager and look for a heading that says HID or Human Interface Devices. Right click on the one of them and click on the Properties.

I'm on a laptop that doesn't have any joysticks or the like, so it's hard to tell what you're going to see. Generically, it will say something like USB Input Device or HID-Compliant Device. I cannot recall if the Saitek drivers actually said 'Saitek'. 

Whatever you do find, make sure it's the right thing because the next step is to Uninstall the driver.

Hope this helps

thanks for the well wrote out advice there Quick....I did find that of all my Saitek stuff there were drivers on that trimwheel, I have removed them, hopefully will get to test it at the weekend but I am a little busy doing the company accounts, only 2 weeks to get them in...:stars:.......also I have to say AS16 with my REX4 HD Textures was worth the upgrade, it looks great....

13 hours ago, brett said:

Are you saying that my advice wasn't well wroten Wayne.:D Glad your on the right track with John's great advice:thum: and don't work to hard, there's flying to do.:)

sorry Brett I didnt even see your post, this gets worse I deleted the trim drivers now nothing is recognised by FSX, my only choice is MOUSE...driving me bonkers I had so many P3D issues now this...I expect problems in XP11 as thats still Beta but not FSX...I realy cant be bothered with uninstalling etc but with FSX not seeing any controllers I simply cant fly it....AAAARRRGGGHHH....

Who knows, Wayne? There could be better drivers around now. It's easy to go to the manufacturer's website and download a new set.

There's a mess of stuff that needs to be addressed to get the joysticks working in FSX. By memory (because I'm not at home) there are issues like the various .XML files that interfere with one another. I sympathise because I went through the same routine a while back. The solution to the .XML file dilemma is to erase the file. It will regenerate the next time you run FSX' Here's where you'll find the Controls 'Standard.XML': C:\Users\[Your Handle]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls.

While we're testing my memory (or lack thereof) we shold talk about another feature included when you look into the 'properties' tab in your Device Manager. That is: Power Management. Make sure the box is not ticked for 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

What I wound up doing was trashing the entire FSX keymapping and joystick files, including all of the drivers. There's a tick box near the top of something like the 'Controls settings' menu that says 'turn off joystick mapping' - or something like that. I went that route and used FSUIPC to map my entire joystick, rudder pedals, throttle, mixture, propeller, trim wheel, etc. End of problems and all for the cost of a paid version of FSUIPC (which, as I recall, was not much).

It is also absolutely necessary to plug everything in to the same USB ports on the computer over and over. Don't ever mix them up. I've got two USB2 ports that the controls plug in to. The various components all plug in to the back of the Yoke assembly and the yoke plugs in to one of the USB ports. The pedals get a dedicated USB port on the back panel of the computer because I ran out of ports on the yoke.

I'm sorry I can't be a bit more specific - hard to do when you're away from your FSX rig.

• Like 2

thanks for that Quick, I will look into it more in the next few days, I currently cant use FSX at all, not really controllable without stick/yoke I will try what you have suggested but I am getting more and more fed up with the constant issues of the controllers, the sim runs and looks fine....I will leave it for a few days whilst I consider my options, the only thing that keeps me on FSX is AH/AH2 and it would be a shame if I cant use that....'sighs' very long....

I never remove any of my controllers so they are always in the same USB socket....and I turned off all the power saving things a long while back, I have rechecked them....

Edited by wain
add info

just a little update, there I was flying along, FSX, AS16 all looking good, controls all working, I click on the menu at the top so I can request a weather update from AS16 and all controls disappear.....??????????

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:27, wain said:

just a little update, there I was flying along, FSX, AS16 all looking good, controls all working, I click on the menu at the top so I can request a weather update from AS16 and all controls disappear.....??????????

20 hours ago, CAT3508 said:

My trim wheel makes an excellent paper weight !  What a waste of money that turned out to be.  :whis: 

Neil

The question why addons work for the large portion of users and then not work for a very small amount of simmers is almost the same as why men do not understand women, it just can't be answered. Although the words "Conflicts" and "Misunderstandings" come to mind ^_^ Besides, if this hobby was easy we would all get bored.:D

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 1/6/2017 at 09:43, mutley said:

Perfect set up John :thum:

If anyone is starting anew, then I would recommend REX Texture Direct for the textures, and AS16 for the weather generation.

(REX Essentials +O/D mentioned by John above is a combination of texture and an older Wx engine, so there is some doubling up of functionality :stars:). 

I see that Rex is offering some good discounts, extending through April 19. I have Rex Essentials + O/D, but I note @mutley comments about Texture Direct and I might take this opportunity to pick it up. The other part of the recommendation is to buy Active Sky 16 (not listed on the Rex site as being on sale).

Question is: Is this advice still current? Or have things changed again? I note that there appears to be quite a bit of duplication within the Rex product range. Also AS16 does not appear to be available, unless under another name.

Edited by Quickmarch
added last line