Using the G1000 with the Cessna Skyhawk I can plan either a 'Direct To' trip or create a Flight Plan without any difficulty.

However in the Carenado Embraer, that I've bought and installed, I am unable to enter any of that information at all. 

Everything else seems to function as expected.

Any ideas, chaps? 

James,

If I recall, you also purchased and installed the Navigraph extension pack for the Embraer Phenom 300. The Navigraph extension pack does not allow you to load a flight plan in the normal manner using the FSX Menu commands. To create a flight plan, you must use the G1000 and GCU 477 Control Unit and create it manually.

Two options:

1. Read the G1000 Phenom 300 PDF document - pages 24 - 27 describe in detail how to create a flight plan using G1000 and GCU 477 Control Unit.
  2. Uninstall the Navigraph extension pack - this is the easiest option and allows you to load a flight plan in the normal manner using the FSX Menu commands.

Yes, Andrew I had tried creating a flight plan using theG1000 and that GCU unit. As I mentioned it worked with the G1000 in the Skyhawks but with the Carenado I was unable to get any useful felons from that FMS control knob using either of the inner or outer sections. I wasn't able to insert any ident letters or numerals at all. The next flashing point of entry simply went on flashing.

Hmm. Many thanks for getting back to me.

I'll re-read those pages!

PS....I re-read and noticed that I had failed to enter my start point to get the plan going. Unfortunately I still couldn't enter any details. :( That first entry area just went on flashing at me. No joy with either the inner or outer knob control.

Rats.

James,

When you made your original post, I was actually on a flight in the Phenom 300 where I had used the method described in the manual using the G1000 and the GCU 477 Control Unit to successfully create a multi stage flight plan.

You keep referring to the Cessna 172 Skyhawk G1000 and being able to create a flight plan there, but the Phenom 300 unit, whilst similar, has subtle differences, so forget the Cessna G1000 process.

The final option is the second option I mentioned, where you uninstall the Navigraph extension pack and use either FSX or Plan-G to create your flight plan and then load that flight plan using the FSX Menu commands.

You can also try looking for some videos that might show you something you might have missed in the manual like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oE9JyEZjac and also a whole series of flights on youtube by a fellow named FSMania  https://www.youtube.com/user/FSMaNiA056/videos .

If you can't enter anything "at all" check for any links that might need to be completed in the settings. If you are not getting the correct answers here please try and revise the question and add more detail as to the specific problem. Hope you can get this up and working soon, I don't have this aircraft so unfortunately can't contribute to this.:)

At last! 

I have just run a re-install and all appears to be running perfectly. Now I am able to input those ICAO codes etc. that I had been struggling to do.

Thanks for all your help, especially you Andrew. 

Good news James, glad you are up and flying.:D 

You might be surprised at how many corrupt downloads and installs happen to folks. The first thing anyone should do when running into a weird problem is not only delete/re-download/re-install a product but also look around for left over files that are sometimes left behind after uninstall and delete them also before re-installing. The second thing is ask Andrew.:)