Carenado Release PA46 500TP Malibu Meridian G1000 HD Series

1.jpg

Special Features
Improved Carenado G1000 (PFD and MFD) with GCU 476 Control Unit.
AFCS GMC 710 autopilot
Flight Plan creation option directly from the MFD
Volumetric side view prop effect
Takeoff run and landing real rolling movement effect
Dynamic propeller shines effect.
Cold and Dark start option

Features
Carenado G1000 (Primary and multi-function displays) with GCU 475 Control Unit.
     -Normal and Emergency Checklist on screen.
     -TAWS and TCAS with visual and audible alerts.
     -Fully customizable (AUX page included).
     -Inset map with traffic, topographic and terrain awareness option.
     -3 different wind option display.
     -MFD map with traffic, topographic and terrain awareness display option.
     -Flight plan creation option directly from the MFD.
3D knob technology for G1000 knobs
HD quality textures
Original HQ digital stereo sounds recorded directly from the real aircraft
Customizable panel for controlling windows transparency, instrument reflections and static elements such as wheel chocks and sights props.
Real behavior compared to the real airplane. Real weight and balance. Tested by real pilots.
Realistic night lights effects on panel and cockpit.

More here...

I don't get why they made this. Carenado already has a p46T Malibu JetProp in their product offering (which I have, it's a Great plane!)...an aftermarket upgrade to the normally aspirated Malibu with a 500hp TurboProp...so then they make the Meridian-500...instead of the Meridian 600 variant which at least would have had a significant performance gain over their JetProp. What the Actual F? Are they just being Lazy? Is the Avionics Package enough of a draw to tempt people to buy an nearly identical airframe?

Edited by Captain Coffee

I had the same thoughts Matt but to answer your questions......

14 minutes ago, Captain Coffee said:

What the Actual F?

Since JA has been schooling me on rhetorical questions I am going to guess that this might be one.

16 minutes ago, Captain Coffee said:

Are they just being Lazy?

They do like to get as much mileage out of gauges and other modeling as do other developers or it could be folks have been asking for this particular aircraft setup but that would only be a guess.

20 minutes ago, Captain Coffee said:

Is the Avionics Package enough of a draw to tempt people to buy an nearly identical airframe?

That is a good question and I can only answer for myself. No.

Now I am starting to wonder if these were all rhetorical questions.:D

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Captain Coffee said:

I don't get why they made this. Carenado already has a p46T Malibu JetProp in their product offering (which I have, it's a Great plane!)...an aftermarket upgrade to the normally aspirated Malibu with a 500hp TurboProp...so then they make the Meridian-500...instead of the Meridian 600 variant which at least would have had a significant performance gain over their JetProp. What the Actual F? Are they just being Lazy? Is the Avionics Package enough of a draw to tempt people to buy an nearly identical airframe?

The answers to your questions are quite obvious when you look at the development path Carenado actually use with their products

Firstly, over the last three years or so, and in between developing new products, Carenado have gone back to selected models in their stables and produced a current real world market version, the Beechcraft C90GTx, 350i and Cessna 208B Grand Caravan EX are prime examples. This aspect has been addressed in Mutley's Hangar reviews of these products.

Secondly, and particularly in this case, most importantly, you have to look at the development timeline for Carenado aircraft. This can be well over six months to produce the quality product (let's throw in a 95% factor here because nothing can be absolutely perfect even though so many imperfect flight simmers expect it to be with Carenado) that Carenado produce.

Now, this is where it gets really interesting and probably goes to answering the "...Actual F..." part of your question because some basic research and logical deduction provides plausible answers. The Piper Meridian M600 was only certified on 18 June 2016. Being as good as exactly six months ago, give or take a day or two, I put that after, or at least close to, Carenado announcing the development of the PA-46-500TP Malibu Meridian. Given the certification process, I would expect some necessary data required by Carenado to develop a Meridian M600 version was not in the public domain and accessible to them at the time, least of all one being available for them to get their hands and have real world pilots validate their model.

The Carenado Piper PA-46-500TP Malibu Meridian looks like another fantastic product from Carenado, but, of course, I would have to do a more thorough and comprehensive review to validate that.

A well crafted answer Andrew. Thanks for the time and probably the research you did to make it.

However, I still don't get why they made it. Discounting my comment about the -600 model because it was an "aside" comment ( I had no idea regarding the release timelines for the Actual aircraft and the Carenado aircraft, because I didn't research it,) because that wasn't my point which I guess I made to vaguely...let me clarify it.

My Point was: Carenado planned to make the -500 model which is Very Similar to their existing JetProp 500 hp Malibu product...ie, they Planned to make a Very Similar product to one they already carry rather than devote that Dev Time to a brand new product, one very unlike those already in their range to attract both New and Existing customers.

They are selling planes to people who fly on computers and I am assuming, I could be wrong, but lots of us can't afford real airplanes and we like Bang for our limited Bucks. I for one would prefer to buy a Brand New Product rather than something Similar to another product they already have and which is already in my hangar, certainly the Jet Prop product owners are (I am assuming again..) statistically speaking likely to pass this up because it's not a great deal of Different Bang for our Buck. They lost my business for this model, I'll wait till they make something completely different...Had I known that they were making this or planning to make it I may have waited and Not bought the JetProp...but I was new to simming at the time and didn't understand Carenado's "release strategy".

It's as if one needs to wait a few years till Caranado gets around to making the Highest Performance Version of a model before bothering to buy any of them...if you wish to not re-buy the same air frame over and over again. I suspect we will see them release a Do228-300 soon to "Upgrade" that model as well since they released the -100 model first. They could have stretched the -100 and released it as a 100/300 Two Model product...but, nope, that would have been a better value for the customer....so to clarify...I wish Carenado would just skip ahead to the Latest or Best Model of an aircraft if it is something that has been around a long time like the DO228, make the Best Version, and move on to something else...completely different. Alternately I'd like to see them offer several Model variations in the same package like other devs do...or at the very least release them as "upgrades" to older models rather than Full Price Products based on per-exsisting work. Oh, and like everyone else I wish they would get their aircraft.cfgs figured out...between their classic blunders like the  c208s that load on their tail due to wacky loading stations, and DO228s with stations using in Metric rather than Standard...sigh. :(

And not to be all Neg on them...they make BEAUTIFUL stuff. I love my carenados after i fix the .cfgs.

~Just one customer's opinion.

Edited by Captain Coffee
16 hours ago, Captain Coffee said:

Matt you're a cynic...... but so am I.  This release seems to be a piggy back release, but you cant blame them in trying to get the most out of a major development

• Like 1