Leg 9. Honningsvag ENHV to Kubinka Z25S

Afternoon chaps.

Well it seems were well into another fantastic ATWC and must admit it could not have gotten off to a better start. Both the enthusiasm and quality of posts is as good if not better than all thats gone before. I had not intended to fly as it seemed to fill fast and would of been happy to let others go. However one or two slots remained unwanted so as i often do on the ATWC, put on my flying goggles and did my best to make the most of the flight.

In this case the flight was over 1000 Miles from the top of Norway to Moscow. Quite an easy flight for most in one of todays airliners but thats too easy. As always i searched for some scenery (Not speaking russian does not help) and plotted a route. Here i made a big mistake as unlike here in the UK, the Russians like to mix it up a bit. So what i thought was a reasonably straight run to Moscow took on a life of its own ending up with my flying 4000 Miles, 4 times what it should of been. To give an example, Tolmachevo airport is not in the town of Tolmachevo, its in Novosibirisk. Or, 1710 miles from where i thought it was. Its a bit like us calling an airport in Manchester, Newcastle airport.

Anyway my new, longer route was finally laid down and here are a few of the shots. Sorry if you have a 56k modem :wow:

Map 1. Getting to Russia.

map-1.jpg

Leg.1

Flight. Honningsvag (Norway) to Vadso (Norway)

Distance. 107 Miles.

Aircraft. C-130 Hercules.

Operator. Royal Norweigan Air Force.

11-1.jpg

12-2.jpg

13-2.jpg

14-2.jpg

15-2.jpg

16-2.jpg

17-2.jpg

18-2.jpg

19-2.jpg

110.jpg

Leg.2

Flight. Vadso (Norway) to Severomorsk (Russia)

Distance. 112 Miles.

Aircraft. Antonov An-2.

Operator. Amur.

21-2.jpg

22-2.jpg

23-2.jpg

24-2.jpg

25-1.jpg

26-1.jpg

27-1.jpg

28-1.jpg

29-1.jpg

Leg.3

Flight. Sveromorsk to Archangel

Distance. 370 Miles.

Aircraft. Mig-25 "FOXBAT" 2 seater.

Operator. Soviet Airforce.

30-1.jpg

31-1.jpg

32-1.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

Map 2. The Russian Saga.

Map-2.jpg

Leg.4

Flight. Archangel to Khanty-Mansiysk.

Distance. 926 Miles.

Aircraft. Boeing 737-500.

Operator. S7 Siberia Airlines.

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

40.jpg

Leg.5

Flight. Khanty-Mansiysk to Nizhnevartovsk

Distance. 255 Miles.

Aircraft. Antonov AN-25 RV.

Operator. UT Air.

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

Leg.6

Flight. Nizhnevartovsk to Novosibirsk.

Distance. 468 Miles.

Aircraft. Li-2 (Russian Built DC-3)

Operator. Aeroflot.

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

Leg.7

Flight. Novosibirsk to Yekateringburg.

Distance. 872 Miles.

Aircraft. ERJ-145LR

Operator. Dniproavia.

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

710.jpg

711.jpg

Leg.8

Flight. Yekateringburg to Vnukovo.

Distance. 900 Miles.

Aircraft. Boeing 767-300.

Operator. Aerosvit.

80.jpg

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

88.jpg

89.jpg

810.jpg

811.jpg

Leg.9

Flight. Vnukovo to Kubinka via Moscow.

Distance 16 Miles.

Aircraft. Yakovlev Yak-3

Operator. Privately owned.

90.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

94.jpg

95.jpg

:wow::wow: :clap: :rockon: :dance2:

Absolutely stunning post Steve. The 2nd foxbat shot and the flaring shot with the ERJ-145 are the stand outs from the bunch in my opinion. Please fly more full flights and post them! A great range of aircraft, and a new angle to approach the challenge by flying multiple legs for one leg.

Thanks for the responses guys, all appreciated very much. I've been flying this since i got the flight so not that hard to put together actually getting finished in the yak this morning. The edits themselves mostly took less than a minute each. With so many to do i was not going crazy on them. Crop, border, some lighting in curves and thats about it for the majority.

The aircraft were C-130, Yak-3 by Captainsim. 737 was Wilco. ERJ and 767 are Posky. AN-25 is Samdim. AN-2 is freeware i forget the maker. Fox bat is Free Alphasim oh and a default DC-3 painted as a Li-2.

Rob, its not so much a new way to approach the ATWC, i did this in the last ATWC right up Finland but is fun if time consuming.

Cyprus Airways, the object of the ATWC is to get the batton to where it needs to be. We all have our own way be it flying by the book, humour, adventure, edited shots or just a flight from A to B. All the posts so far have been great and i don't doubt yours will not be the same. Look forward to it :wow:

Cheers again guys...

steve

There are no amount of words I can find that even begin to discribe this post Steve, but I will attempt to take a stab at it.

Firstly, the total flight inspires me.

Secondly, the commentary had me believing I was there with you, wow man awsome.

Lastly, those screen shots, here is where I get stuck. This is undoubtly the most increadible screen shot post I have ever seen in all my time of surfing the web and looking at FS screenies. Sorry but I can not but help myself, but this mind blowing :roll: :wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow: :dance2: :rockon: :clap: :wow:

Hi Steve,

I had a decent chance to view your flights this morning. Remind me to add in an extra 3k to our distance travelled!

Obviously a lot of planning and a lot of time has gone in to this post and an area not covered in the last challenge was well and truly explored by you!

The maps were really useful, you managed to find more interesting locations, excellent.

The first image of the Herc is classic with only the tail showing! The rest of this leg looks so real even down to how low the sun remain throughout. Good job on the take off there, that shot was so simple and effective. Love the reflection on the last shot.

The An-2 was an inspired choice. So photogenic, the final approach shot I am still trying to work out if it is a composite as the scenery is spot on! The chap in the house must have been swilling the Vodka to remain that calm!

First image of the Mig looks very intimidating, the semi silhouette sees to that. These shots are very dramatic especially as she was thundering out. I love the font used on this set too.

Ah, the 737-500, that's not a good livery colour to be looking at first thing in the morning (after a Saturday night!) Again the scenery is excellent and must have taken some finding. I have often been on avsim.ru looking for stuff! Lovely approach and landing sir!

Leg 5, The AN-25 is a new one to me, looks similar to a Fokker 50, I'm sure that didn't influence them! Great shots of the cruise but surpassed again by the approach and landing shots. That snow is horrid to fly in so you did a good job. In the last few we can really get the feel for the cold.

Good to see you took an overnight here

Great introduction shot to the Li-2. She looks beautiful! Another wonderful selection of shots, the sunrise shot and the final approach shot stands out for me. She was obviously good for her 468 mile trip.

Leg 7,

This one has the most stunning weather shots! From the murky hold shot with the 154 flashing by to the descent. The flaring shot at the end, brilliant! Just get Dai to cut that grass.

767-300, another big boy just for the small baton! First 2 shots again difficult to distinguish from real, love that row of trees in the background. Great in flight shots, really getting a feel for the speed and height. Love that turning final shot.

Final leg - Yak-3

I have this fantastic model but have never shown it off as good as this. Glad to see your flying skills did not go to waste with that impromptu show over Moscow I was worried about the baton falling out!

The final,final shot rounded off this multi-faceted post of excellently.

Thanks again Steve for your contribution here, first class sir!

watching.png

Cheers

These responses make it well worth the effort. Only too happy you guys enjoyed this set of flights and was enjoyable to fly them. Agree with the color of the 737 Joe, not good after a night of the good stuff. Oh and no composite, just FSX doing a good job, was a nice supprise having never flown there before.

Thanks again guys :thum:

steve

Steve,

I have only just had a chance to properly view and digest this post, and boy was it worth the wait!

In every single shot I can see details and special efforts you've made. The commentary is superb, and this epic journey-within-a-journey had me gripped.

However, as there were so many sections, I'm going to have to pick out a favorite, and I'm going to have to go for the Li-2. Those shots simply blew me away.

Once again, I can only echo everyone else's comments of Bravo Sir, mindblowingly good job! :wink: :mrhappy: :wacky:

• 1 year later...
I've just been re-reading this post (again) and I think it must be the best ever ATWC post. Are you taking part this year Steve?

I did write to Steve before we started but never got a reply so I guess the answer is no unsure.gif