AIRAC updates

Not sure where to ask this, so sorry if it's in the wrong place.....

I understand how they are done and where we go and download but can someone please explain the benefits of keeping them updated...I dont really get it as how does the sim change? is it addons that change? do I need to keep the sim updated to fit with devs releasing addons that are more current?...is it more relevent to my Airliners than my GA stuff?

sorry if this sounds an odd question but I have always been confused.com by this....

thanks

Wayne

Other than for some high-end payware AC that include an FMC that operates independent of the FS databases and maybe some payware flight planners like FS Commander, there's not much impact in FS itself.  The new, changed or deleted navaids, waypoints, procedures, etc. in the AIRACs are not reflected in what you see in FS nor in its databases.  Up to now, that is.

There's a new product on the market, FSaerodata, which may be a change to all that - it will import AIRAC data (with a few specific exceptions) into FS, replacing the actual data in the FS data files.  It is supposedly reversible to roll back to the world circa 2006 that FS comes with if you ever feel the need to.  That still leaves a few issues with things like airports whose runway numbers have incremented due to changing magnetic variation, newly added or abandoned runways, etc.  

The primary benefit  that I can see of using the AIRAC data, either via the new FSaerodata application or within the few add-ons that make use of it, is that current real world charts will match up.  If you've ever tried to use RW charts for FS work, you've probably soon found that there are many subtle differences and more than a few profound ones.  What FSaerodata professes to do should resolve the vast majority of differences between FS and the world in 2016/17 and make current enroute charts, STARs, SIDs and IAPs much more useful.

John

• Like 1

I think I updated just because I wanted it to be up to date, but then I stopped updating and stayed on one that is probably about a year old now. 

Another reason for updating is for online flying like VATSIM or IVAO and when flying IFR procedures; I may be wrong about this but that's the impression I have had.

• Like 1

cheers Guys, not sure whether it is a needy thing to do....I guess I may just run with the current ones and see if I get any issues......I wonder if not updating causes FMC and planning issues.......

It will cause issues if you use a real world planner that gives you a route string that includes a newly introduced waypoint that is not included in your year old NAV cycle. Otherwise everything will continue to work based on what you are now using.

14 hours ago, wain said:

got mine from Aerosoft, NAVDATAPRO, large list of what it works with on their site, just over 9 euros for a one off download....easy peasey to install too....

Oh right OK, not sure what the difference is but with Navigraph you can subscribe to FMS Data for 30 days that costs 7.80 Euros - you can then download the FMS Data Manager and you can choose the items you wish to update. Or I am not sure if this is still an option, but you used to be able to download all the updates individually and store locally, then it's just a case of running the installer and it does it all for you. 

I have kept all my single update installers as backup and when I do a reinstall I just run all the relevant ones again and all my products are at the same version. 

As long as you are happy :)

• Like 1