Rise of Flight Questions

I just downloaded this the other day to try a combat sim...and am having HUGE troubles with the controls, views, TrackIR, and basically the Game Setup.

I spent a full day trying to figure out how to move the views and try to fly a plane...to no avail.

Anyone else use this with TrackIr who also uses FSX and has the Options Set up similar to FSX controls.

I'm about to give up as the Camera/Pilot Head assignments are bending my head trying to figure out Which is which...and Assignment Conflicts are all over even in the Default configuration.

I find myself fighting Views and crashing planes instead of flying or even getting a toe wet in missions.

Any advice for how to set this thing up appreciated ( an importable setup file Hugely appreciated if possible), or a recommendation for a Better less problematic Combat sim Greatly Appreciated. I'd like to fly WW1 biplanes, but a WW2 sim would be acceptable too.

Cheers.

Coff.

Matt, I've been flying Rise of Flight SP and MP for years so if I can help...  I never had any problem with the setup, I'm using a T16000M joystick, my Saitek pedals and my Saitek quadrant controls for throttle, mixture and radiator ( so sending you my setup file won't help much if you don't use the same controls ).  WW1 planes are not very sophisticated so not that many controls to configure.  I never had a problem with my Track IR 5 either, I only made a specific profile to use a joystick button for centering view in flight.

You can PM me with your questions and I can try to answer them if this can be of any help.

Rise of Flight has great flight physics but takes some time to master. Be prepared to crash a good number of times on landing ( or even on take off ! ) before you master these light planes countering engine torque and wind ! :) It's better to start with german in-line engines... I had the hardest times controlling the early french planes ( Nieuport 11 and 17 ) as they are very light ( wind ) and rotary engines ( torque )

Edited by Corsaire31
  • Like 1

OK here are some pics that might help you ( better than a long speech... )

General graphics setting ( launcher ) for me :

2017-02-2021_24_33-Greenshot.jpg

General settings ( in game options )

2017_2_20__20_37_21.jpg

Control settings : there are 3 possible controls for same action - to remove one click on the "x" top right of the box, to add one click on the box and press the key or joystick axis/button.

2017_2_20__20_37_56.jpg

Controller response curve - you can set a curve for each plane, or make it simple like me by creating only one for all planes.  Mine has a 10% dead zone and a S curve response.

2017_2_20__20_38_19.jpg

I never deleted any of the original controls. Only added mine in a free column ( usually number 2 ) and saved the setup, this was 3 years ago, never touched it since then.

For my Track IR I made a copy of my FSX profile for the response curves and changed the on/off control to key 7 and center to a joystick button.

My setup is like this :

Joystick ( named Joystick 0 in the controls page )  

Trigger :  fire all guns        Button 2  :  reload     Button 3 : drop 1 bomb   Button 4 : drop all bombs   Buttons 5/6 : Altitude throttle for late german airplanes

Button 7 : center Track IR     Button 8 :  Blip switch (cuts ignition on rotary engines)    Button 9  :  Level autopilot      Button 10  :  Full autopilot

Rudder pedals  ( named Joystick 2 in the controls page )  - Joystick 1 in my system is my Saitek trim wheel - no inflight trim on WW1 planes ... : Yaw

Saitek Quadrant  ( named Joystick 3 in the controls page )  :   Axis 1: throttle   -   Axis 2:  mixture  -  Axis 3: radiator

I use the quadrant buttons to fire the 4 different flares ( white - yellow - red - green )  In multiplayer we were flying real  ( no radios at the time ) and the flight leader was giving orders to his flight with these flares.

Please feel free to ask anything if you still have problems, will do my best to help.

Edited by Corsaire31
  • Like 1

That is awesome Loic,

Very much appreciated.

I'll have a walk through the settings and see how this looks.

Some of those controls are completely unfamiliar to me...radiator, altitude throttle, blip...etc. That was my concern about Deleting stuff...some of it I had no idea if it was useful or not.

I'm in general pleased with how the game looks and feels flying so far...once I get the controls worked out this should be a blast.

I so very much miss the old MS-Combat days with all the freeware WW-One planes available to dogfight. I was happy to see the Neiport-17 is a stock plane in ROF, it was one of my favs back then.

Cheers.

Radiator : used on most inline german engines from the Albatros DII onwards ( water cooled ) There is a temperature gauge and you use the control to open/close radiator flaps to keep the temperature around 60° C  -  full open when climbing,  half open for level flight, closed when diving.   If it gets too hot, you will have a white smoke and your engine can be damaged, if too cold your engine can stop -  If I remember there is an option somewhere to put this on auto. You can have one also on some french planes like the Spads.  Basically you can consider it is the ancestor of later "cowl flaps"

Blip switch : on some rotary engines ( british Airco DH2 or german Fokker EIII ) there is no throttle, the engine is always running full speed. The only way to slow down is to use this switch to temporarely cut the ignition.  On every rotary engine it's also useful to use it as a "brake" on landing approach for instance.

On most light planes with rotary engines like the Fokker triplane or the french Nieuports or the british Sopwith the engine torque makes it so that it is easier to turn one direction than the other. Briefly using the blip switch and thus stopping the engine before a turn allows you to turn tighter on the "bad" side.

Altitude throttle : on some late war german airplanes with a BMW engine ( Fokker DVIIF ), the altitude throttle controls the butterfly valve of the carburator. It is closed on the ground and gradually opened with altitude to compensate for air pressure drop from 2000m onwards .  Gives you some extra speed at high altitude.

2000m - 3000m  2/3 closed     3000m to 4000m  1/3 closed     above 4000 m  fully open.

" By mid-1918, some D.VIIs received the "overcompressed" 138 kW (185 hp) BMW IIIa, the first product of the BMW firm. The BMW IIIa followed the SOHC, straight-six configuration of the Mercedes D.III, but incorporated several improvements. Increased displacement, higher compression, and an altitude-adjusting carburetor produced a marked increase in speed and climb rate at high altitude. Because the BMW IIIa was overcompressed, using full throttle at altitudes below 2,000 m (6,700 ft) risked premature detonation in the cylinders and damage to the engine. At low altitudes, full throttle could produce up to 179 kW (240 hp) for a short time. Fokker-built aircraft with the new BMW engine were designated D.VII(F), the suffix "F" standing for Max Friz, the engine's designer. "

read there : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_IIIa

Edited by Corsaire31
  • Like 2

Terrific information, thank you again.

The Blip switch sounds blipping crazy to me. I have no idea why anyone would set foot into an airplane that runs at full blast,  and required turning the engine completely off to aid with turning and landing.!!! What a concept... I think I might avoid the radials. :)

Edited by Captain Coffee

It's only the early radials on two specific aircrafts that run full blast. Generally speaking though it's better  to start with inline engines as radials need to have mixture control ( although there must be an option somewhere to put it on auto like the radiator flaps if you don't want to bother in the first times ) and you don't have the engine torque to deal with.

Another tricky thing with the blip switch is that you can only use it very briefly ( although you can repeat the ignition cut-off ) if you hold it too long your engine might just die. I will let you discover that it's not too difficult with some practice to glide these planes to a landing, if there are not too many trees and fences around... :)

Another vital parameter with these light nimble planes : always land and take off into the wind.  Very often if wind is 3 or 4 m/sec or higher, I don't hesitate to taxi to the other end of the airfield if needed to take off facing the wind. Saved my arse a few times... ;)

Edited by Corsaire31
  • Like 1

If you look at the pics I posted, in the "engine control" page there are two lines for "auto radiator" and "auto mixture". There is no key assigned in the default controls, but you can add one. I hadn't realized yet where it was as I always flew " the real thing " from start. 

Also note that if you engage the full autopilot - hand off your plane control to the AI - (  default A ) it will automatically adjust radiator flaps and mixture.

EDIT : I found what I was looking for ( forgot about it since I didn't go there since a long time ) :

All difficulty settings are all in Mission settings. 

2017_2_21__14_33_38.jpg

I use "Warmed up engine" as if " full real " you have to wait a few minutes on take off for water-cooled engines to warm up. We were playing "full real" in multiplayer missions and used this warm up time to receive the instructions from the flight leader on Teamspeak. At take off, teamspeak was turned off and we could only communicate with coloured flares agreed upon in the mission instructions. 

We played some campaigns with up to 100 pilots in the air at the same time on huge maps, was a lot of fun... and a lot of work to organize ! ;)

EDIT 2 : when and if you have some spare time, I would advise you to have a look at these short videos, they helped me a lot understanding World War 1 aerial combat, and how different it can be from one plane to the other.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Requiem10NS/playlists

Edited by Corsaire31

And to finish with, a picture today of the plane I'm flying at the moment, Albatros DII from Jasta 4 based in Roupy, Somme. We are end of October 1916 and Oberleutnant Arndt von Treppen has a record of 27 missions and 20 air victories.

2017_2_21__14_32_51.jpg

I'm using an external addon program called PWCG ( Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator ) which generates more historical missions than the vanilla game, and where you can parameter everything. For each nation involved I'm flying a war campaign from 1916 to 1918 ( we don't have early war planes in Rise of Flight ) for a specific unit  - at the moment Jasta 4 for Germany, RFC 29 for the Brits, Escadrille 103 for France - waiting for the US to enter the war before picking one of them.

Every time one of my pilots is shot down for good ( you can also be wounded and have some days/weeks off at the hospital ) another one jumps in the seat one week later.

Edited by Corsaire31

"Invulnerability against weapons"...nice!

I'm glad real war doesn't have that or it could cause the whole mess to drag on and on and on without purpose ...ie, not much different from today, but with lots more clearly obvious futility to all involved.

p.s. I previews some of the videos above and subscribed...terrific stuff. Cheers.

Edited by Captain Coffee