Just Flight Release Hunter F.6/FGA.9

hunter.jpg

The new Just Flight Hunter collection for FSX & P3D features the F.6 and the FGA.9 ground attack fighter variant, both modelled in great detail and each with their own Virtual Cockpit representative of the type as operated by the RAF.

Features:

• F.6 and FGA.9 (Fighter Ground Attack) variants included, each with their own VC 
  • 13 high quality liveries 
  • Deployable braking parachute on the FGA.9 
  • Highly detailed model with intakes, grilles, outlets and appendages modelled in 3D 
  • Selectable clean wing, wing fuel tanks, wing-mounted rockets or bombs (bombs on the FGA.9 only; rockets and bombs are non-operational) 
  • Simulated UV cockpit lighting 
  • External battery cart, boarding steps, wheel chocks and pre-flight flags 
  • Multiple animations including correct landing gear sequence, flap actions, airbrake
  • and canopy 
  • Detailed engine fan visible through the intake mouths and other highly detailed areas such as flap recesses and gear wells 
  • Realistic animated pilot figure 
  • Retractable reticle gunsight 
  • All gauges are 3D and highly accurate 
  • Accurately modelled electrical, hydraulic and fuel systems 
  • Authentic engine sound set in full stereo including the distinctive Hunter 'blue note' 
  • Cockpit sounds such as switches, clickable knobs and pumps 
  • Accurate flight dynamics and performance coded to book values give an authentic flight experience 
  • PDF manual includes a tutorial on the operation and handling of the aircraft 
  • Professional quality paint kit available to download 

More on the product page here... https://www.justflight.com/product/hunter-f6-fga9

Just Flight Hunter FSX - A Quick Look

I guess that any aviation fan can see that the Hawker Hunter looks very attractive and if you grew up in the 1960’s (like me), you may recall seeing them at airshows, making their distinctive ‘blue note’ as the power winds up!

A few years back, I bought the Flight 1 version of the Hunter and it was pretty good.  However, when I found out that Just Flight were to do a Hunter, I decided that the old one had to go and Just Flight’s forthcoming offering was a must have.  I was delighted to see in the preview pictures that  ‘Miss Demeanour’ was depicted, along with a colorful 4FTS machine in the red/white/grey scheme.  However, I did note that the 4FTS machine had the ‘Sabrina’ pods underneath the forward fuselage, along with the cannon.  These are deleted from the 4FTS machines and the cannon ports faired over.  Unofficially, these machines were referred to as ’GT 6’s’ as they were quicker than the ones with the Sabrinas.  I decided to inform Just Flight of the error, got a thank you e-mail and was told that the information would be passed on to the Hunter development team.  I was therefore delighted when I saw their new video, that they had corrected the error and that the machine looks to be accurately depicted…..

So, to make things clear, I am not a professional reviewer and I have no connection to Just Flight (apart from what I just said), so this is the initial opinion of a casual simmer who just happens to like Hawker Hunters and other airplanes.

I did wonder how this offering would turn out after the teething problems of Just Flight’s Tornado and Hawk, but I decided to buy it as even if there were issues, I knew that Just Flight would make it good in the end!  I am pleased to say that things are good right from the start! 

The cockpit looks to be suitably weathered and looks as though it has been lived in.  The seat belts are well depicted and look the part.  There is amazing detail on the airframe.  The grills on the fuselage are modeled in 3D and look very realistic.  The flaps have very realistic interior detail and the pilot looks around while in the plane.  All very good!!

There are options to start ‘cold and dark’ or just do the usual 'ctrl + E' route.  There are options to select weapons and this is where I have a possible issue.  Choosing the weapons is not a problem, but if bombs are carried, they are shown on the inner pylon and the fuel tanks on the outer pylon.  I would have thought that the bombs would have been on the outer pylon…?  Anyway, I don’t like the Hunter with bombs….it’s a fighter in my eyes!!

Cranking up the engine, it is nice to see a turbine glow and is good to hear that ‘blue note’.  Funny, even though Flight 1’s machine was supposed to depict it, I never heard it.  On Just Flight’s depiction, you can’t miss it!

I did note while taking the plane for a flight, that you had to keep an eye on the speed as it could drop without you noticing, inducing a stall which is not quite so easy to get out of due to older engines being less responsive that the more modern ones!!  Yes…I crashed and burned!!  Another thing to watch is that if doing aerobatics, be gentle on the stick, otherwise you will stall here too!  This because of the high position of the tail plane and if the angle of the attack is too great, the airflow over the tail plane is disrupted by the main wings.

The controls are nice and crisp, so doing a hesitation four point role is not too much of a problem.  The plane does have a tendency to climb unless you trim it down a bit to achieve level flight.  Landing was pretty easy without any major things to watch (apart from that speed!).  I did note that ‘loading the plane up’ does have an effect on performance, which is what it should do in real life.

In closing, I MUST mention the color schemes….the real star in my opinion is ‘Miss Demeanour’.  It is looks so colorful and I am so pleased that this one was included.  As mentioned, a 4FTS machine is included, several typical RAF machines in the usual variegated camouflage, an all-black machine from the Black Arrows, an all blue machine from the Blue Diamonds and much more.  I do feel though, that this flight sim is deserving of an extra livery pack or two, as there were so many operators of this very attractive plane.   (Hint to Just Flight!)

Verdict….I love it!!!

P.S.  I am a bit short of time, so will try and do some screenshots in the next day or so!

UPDATE

I have now posted some screen shots on FS Snaps.  Enjoy!  :-)

Edited by Tristarcaptain
Corrected text.
  • Like 3

:icon_goodpost: Bravo Martin!

That's great to hear that it is problem free and your Quick Look gives a mouth watering insight!

We have a review under way by J G which should be out in a few weeks, I picked up up a copy too so having a quick blast now.