To '3' or not to '3' Orbx FTX Central

Hi all..

As I have been out of things for a while, I have resurfaced to find there is a new FTX central 3

Before mindlessly installing it, I thought I'd better see what I could find out.. The initial search results were a mixture of elevation issues, library insertion problems, but also some positives (well, I guess it qualifies), in that you don't have to change areas..

My questions are:

1. As i was part way through reinstalling several of my orbx regions when I disappeared, should I install them first with FTX central 2 given that most of them are boxed?

2. Will there be any issues with older boxed versions and v 3 ?

3. I have quite a few 3rd party sceneries and the interaction between FTX central 3 and elevation problems does seem to be prevalent?

4. Given all the documented issues with the initial versions of 3, would it be possible to stick with FTX central 2?

5. As with all Orbx stuff there is no uninstaller and attempts to remove have resulted in registry problems  (of which I have personal experience).. this makes me very nervous about jumping straight into v3 

Help and advice greatly received before I make anything worse than it needs to be.

Thanks guys

:-D.

Steph I hope you fair better than me, I recently upgraded my system, new CPU,MOBO & RAM, also a larger SSD, upgraded to Win10, no issues except for ORBX, used FTX Central 3 but just had so many issues with all my stuff, I had trees under the Severn Bridge, had real elavation problems in most of my ORBX regions and city sights were nothing like they used to be...I spent hours and hours researching and fault finding with ORBX and their web pages but after 3 attempts with the same outcome I gave up...it now all sits on my external driving gathering virtual dust and filling me with regret at spending all that money....anyway I have heard some have had problems but most have not but I just thought I would tell of my woes....using GEX+UTX+REX+AS16+SOFT CLOUDS and I am happy with what I have.....saying that though I currently spend, as my posts will show, most of time on XP10/11 lately, iits nice being over at the darkside you know...

Best of luck and hope someon has more positives for you..

Wayne

• Like 1

As I have no plan to buy additional ORBX stuff in the near future, I stayed so far with my FTX Central 2 version.

I will make the update and transfer whenever I need something new, this will give them some more time to hunt the bugs. Like Wain, I also still use GEX + UTX outside the ORBX full regions I'm flying ( Australia, NZ, England, Wales, Scotland and the whole Pacific coast - NRM  PNW  PFJ and SAK )

When it ain't broke, don't fix it ! :)

Edited by Corsaire31

Hi Steph, glad to see you're back in the mix.

To be honest, I personally have had no issues since going over to v3. 

Once installed it will scan to see what you have installed and will automatically install them into the correct place. 

Any Orbx stuff you purchased from flightsimstore will also be transferred direct to v3 but from memory, I think you have to tell flightsimstore to do it. It was straightforward for me from what I recall.

Any future purchases of orbx related software will all be done from within v3 and it is simply a case of clicking, purchasing and enjoying. Version 3 does all the installing for you with a couple of clicks from you. 

If you want more Orbx stuff in the future, you will have to go to V3 anyhow, so it's a no brainier. 

But if you listen to Joe and some others......they will tell you I don't have one of those brain things anyway. :P 

Just my opinion Steph.

Good luck.

Hi Steph!

As Loic says, if you have no plans for new Orbx sceneries then you may get away without upgrading to FTXC3. Personally, I have had no problems with migrating. The interface is so much more intuitive and seamless now. If you don't have the latest version of any scenery, say, for P3D then you will have to upgrade eventually

Joe

:hat:

• Like 1

Howdy Steph.

I also had a seamless 2>3 transfer. I like the new interface as well as the now very very easy upgrades.

However, I have no boxed old products, those may need some special handling if not purchased through the old Flightsim Store. All FSS products should "license transfer" without issues.

Cheers.

Coff.

Thanks guys.  I may install as many of the orbx sceneries as I can then do a nice big system image backup.. gotta say I'm flummoxed as to why they have once again put out software without any uninstaller.. kinda makes me very very  wary ...

It all does work, once the migration is done, following license transfers from FSS.   I don't mix & match myself with the likes of GEX & UTX.  I think that many of the problems some folk have, are connected to this in some way.  Your Disc variants can be upgraded to current versions provided you still have all your purchase details and order numbers.  Information on this can be found at the ORBX forum.

I was very reticent about the massive changes that have taken place over the last 6 months or so.  Suffice to say, I delayed any action for quite some time.  Once initial teething problems had been ironed out and reports had improved, I took the plunge.  Everything ran very smoothly.

If you are a Paypal user, I am afraid you will be out of luck in future, as that payment facility has been withdrawn.  So it is CC numbers for purchases now or some obscure payment handler that I at least have never heard of.

Oh, and one other thing. New Updates to your scenery can only be done through the current v3* FTX Central.  If you stay with v2 you will be stuck with the v2 level updates which are available to download through their forum

Everything considered, it is worth the time & effort to bring things up to current  standards.  Regardless of whether or not you choose to continue to purchase from the company.

Allow yourself plenty of time....and have fun.

EDIT:-  There are uninstall facilities within v3* Central

Edited by dogtrack
  • Like 1

I had no mix and match, just had GEX & UTX from before I bought ORBX, one of the issues I was having was having to deal with migration every single time I used v3, I have no worries with what I have now and hopefully all goes well for you all....

The only issues I had was when I installed Vector it would put it at the top of my library - this was due to some of the default FSX regions/scenery entries being missing. I had removed them previously to save load times etc on my older machine.

Turns out Vector was looking for 'Africa' FSX default entry (I think it was Africa) but reinserting this back in solved the problem.

Also, I have PNW region on boxed version and could not upgrade as they removed the upgrade/support page where you used to be able to download the updates from. This did cause elevation issues in some areas without the updates.

All my online purchases worked perfectly. 

I would say go for it :)

7 hours ago, dogtrack said:

I don't mix & match myself with the likes of GEX & UTX.  I think that many of the problems some folk have, are connected to this in some way. 

Same as Wain, I had GEX / UTX ( everywhere except Australia/NZ ) installed long before ORBX, and had no problem installing my ORBX regions over it. You only have to follow the ORBX install instructions for some regions where you need to deactivate a couple of files in UTX for possible night lighting conflict.

Edited by Corsaire31
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all.. and thanks for the replies on the FTX3.

It's been a bit quiet from me of late.. i'm finally in the throes of the UAT for the SAP system i've been working on for the last year, so i've spent less time in the cockpit than i would have liked.. try about 5 hours in 3 months!  :(

Having so much of my ORBX stuff on boxed disc i thought i would try and get as much on there before moving to FTX3 but already i'm looking for a brick wall to bang my head against

I still haven't got any further apart from installing SAK and immediately getting error messages about /apply command lines being ignored due to unified lclookup files, and black monoliths reminscent of 2001 scattered all over the place!

Does anyone else get the feeling that they spend more time installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, and wiping their PC than they do actually flying, or is it just me?

At the moment i'm so bushed from my workload and other stuff going on that i am seriously tempted to get my stepson over for a week, give him all the software and just tell him to reinstall the lot from FSX up..

I guess i need a reason to fly and not to tinker at the mo.. when is the ATWC starting up again???

Cheers all.. will try and keep up with things a bit better in the next month than i have been recently..

Be good all

28 minutes ago, hlminx said:

i'm finally in the throes of the UAT for the SAP system

Grrr.. a rival ERP system to what my company sells :D

34 minutes ago, hlminx said:

I guess i need a reason to fly and not to tinker at the mo.. when is the ATWC starting up again???

It will be back in the late autumn.

Well I hope you get more spare time and get flying again soon, we miss you!

• 2 months later...
On 2017-3-19 at 19:51, mutley said:

Grrr.. a rival ERP system to what my company sells :D

Wow.. so there are others out there? SAP can be a bit of a complicated beastie at the best of times.. can't believe we both do it (intetionally) for at least 8hrs a day!

Ps. Can't wait for ATWC 2017/18  !!

Edited by hlminx
1 hour ago, hlminx said:

Wow.. so there are others out there?

You better believe it! Our product is like a grown up SAP, especially in warehouse/stock management, forecasting, JIT purchasing, SPA's and contact management, but our systems are  generally not retail, except for Jewsons who dabble a bit. :) We use touch screen terminals as well, web ordering and HHDs, so we're well advanced.

1 hour ago, hlminx said:

Can't believe we both do it (intentionally) for at least 8hrs a day!

I work in development rather than implementation, so our days are shorter and we are not customer facing  (thank relevant deity here)  .. Phew! :heat:

Oh! and we are in the final stages of the planning for ATWC 7, once Micke pulls his' finger out and chooses the route, we can get under way.

Are you and Lance coming to Cosford this year? A nice ride out for the weekend and I am sure we will have cake!

Same genre of business but I am clearly in a different world. 

Joe and Steph, I don't understand your banter!   ....Except UAT. I don't think i have ever purchased a JIT, I don't understand how spas come into it, unless you do your business in a hot tub, 

If you want to talk about BM Units, GSPs, ECVA, SAA, BMRA, CRA and CDCA or perhaps, and topical at the moment, TLFs I am your man.

• 2 months later...
On 21/05/2017 at 23:57, J G said:

If you want to talk about BM Units, GSPs, ECVA, SAA, BMRA, CRA and CDCA or perhaps, and topical at the moment, TLFs I am your man.

Wow.. acronym overload there John and i thought SAP had enough strange T-codes :wacko2:

• Like 1

My FTX 3 was working fine, then developed a problem where it wouldn't complete a download. I've tried all the suggestions from their guys on the Orbx support forum without success. It looks like every time I want to update one of their products I'll have to reinstall the entire thing. I've asked them to make update available for manual install, but doubtless that suggestion will go straight into the round file...

So if you're still holding off, I'd say keep doing so, for as long as you can. I'm not knocking the idea of FTX Central 3, it's a good one, but it seems to be making life difficult for a lot of users.

• Like 1

I had issue updating vector but I think if you lose connection or whatever the problem is when you restart it continues, all ok now, I did try ticking the beta multiple connections and that helped. I use a IDM and that works in a similar way but with ORBX you have top use their own setup.....

Bit of an update

1. Vector is now on.. after 3 failed attempts
  2. All my previously transferred FSS add ons have been installed
  3. I installed Orbx England last night from the original disc but ran it in Admin mode and by right clicking the Application file rather than auto loading.  Unfortunately it appears it has also installed FTXC2 (contrary to what the Orbx site told me) but FTXC3 appears to not have an issue with it as long as all the old Service Packs are installed too.  If there are any more updates for England then i'll have to hope they issue a manual SP file as well. I'm not sure its registered it or not, but for the moment it seems to be playing ball [punches air - result!]

I'm going to try and install the other boxed copies i have in the same way and see if they work the same way.. Thankfully i archived all the Service Packs for all my Orbx scenery so i don't have to download them again or try to hunt them down.

No doubt at some point Orbx will sort out this mess for those of us that have the boxed versions

• Like 2
1 hour ago, needles said:

Hoorah Steph.

Glad it's beginning to work out for you albeit in a roundabout fashion. 

Good luck with the rest.

Brian

Thanks Brian

Feels good to be back.. although it will take me weeks to install everything again.

Somehow it just feels good to have a nice clean PC again

:D

• Like 1