How long are your flights...?

So...if you are on your favorite flight sim, how long do you generally fly for on individual flights?  I must admit that I tend to fly short ones, like 20 - 30 mins.  I did manage an hour once but last night was a biggie!!  I flew from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles in my Just Flight DC-10 (1.6 hrs).  I must admit that I enjoyed it, so may do some more longer ones in the near future.

My wife finds it amusing that I did some reading while the autopilot was on.  I still can't get her to dress in an air stewardess uniform and bring me coffee during the flight though!!  :whis:

Martin

• Like 5
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So...if you are on your favorite flight sim, how long do you generally fly for on individual flights?  I must admit that I tend to fly short ones, like 20 - 30 mins.  I did manage an hour once but las

As far as roleplaying a stewardess and fetching me drinks. I have been married for close to 37 years and been together for forty, I know what her exact facial expression and answer would be to that re

I may have been disparaging about the Mrs earlier in this post but as we will be married for 33 years this year I guess we fit together well enough!  We too have picked up a couple of ......well I can

Normally, I fly one to two hours as I generally fly GA routes.

If I am flying multiplayer with the Mutley Crew, then a four hour+ flight is common place. (every week!) 

I have an old reception bell (like in Fawlty Towers) which I summon my wife with for gin and tonic once the sun is over the yardarm  :D

• Like 3

My flights usually last around one to two hours, usually closer to two and I also need to add about another half hour to forty-five minutes for planning. (I'm a slow planner I know):D When flying I try very hard not to pause the sim, that is unless I hear the voice of my leader wanting something and I will land somewhere if I need a cig bad enough. I'm also a GA flier and enjoy using NAV aids along with visual aids to get around instead of the GPS, it keeps me busy and makes the flight less boring. That's not to say I don't put the flight plan into the GPS, if available, if it's there I might as well utilize it in case I run into a problem.  I do fly the bigger jets once in awhile just to keep up on the procedures but don't find it as much fun, more like a work day.:P

Like all self-imposed rules they vary according to situations as they arise.;)

• Like 1

Up to an hour or so in short haul, old school tube liners. (Captain Sims 727, 737). No GPS or FMCs for me but VOR to VOR & ILS, tuning radios keeps me busy. Where I have the maps I'll fly SIDS & STARS. Occasionally I'll fly longer in  the CS 707 or L10-11 and on longer stretches do a crossword.

Just to make things interesting, pre flight I'll look on the Real-Time Lightning maps to see where there are thunderstorms and REX get it pretty accurate with real world weather.  Depending on my mood I'll avoid a storm or go through it. :D

• Like 1

Varies considerably. I may do several 10-20 minute hops between landings (touch and goes somewhere challenging or crosswind practice, several short AHauler trips, just bashing about), or a long flight...but my overall sit at the sim time flying tends to be about 1.5-2 hours at a stretch.

I only fly real time, I will pause to let the sim catch up for a pretty screenshot if the textures are laggin way behind...and I grab Puffas and Cuppas and Bottlas while the AP holds the stick...my kitchen in the boat is just "Right there"...so I'm technically within range of the controls same as if in a standard AC cockpit/cabin anywhere in my boat...and I have no one else on board to Role Play a stewardess not fetching my drinks for me. I try to only fly VFR, and all of my planning goes into the GPS...which I may or may not follow directly, or use as a reference while cruising about randomly along the line if something interesting is "over there". I tend to shut my radios off when VFR scenery touring, or tune them to local traffic/nearest airports...I hate ATC when I'm flying...I despise IFR ATC directions "go up now, go down now, turn left...wait, turn back right again...nvm...really, left this time...expect vectors to the most inconvenient strip, but turn left and right again first..."

• Like 1

As far as roleplaying a stewardess and fetching me drinks. I have been married for close to 37 years and been together for forty, I know what her exact facial expression and answer would be to that request. I have never asked her.:D

• Like 5

I stick mostly to GA and my flights which are usually VFR tend to be around 30-40 minutes. A couple of days ago my longest to date was 2-1/2 hours, from Bournemouth to Blackpool, it was indirect as I took in some of North Wales en-route.

• Like 2

Not sure I should admit this....I have been known to spend weeks on end, without touching base !!   But then I am into sight seeing.  In fact have just returned to Photo Scenery after about four years with LC.  Treated myself to Gary's 3 VFR volumes for England & Wales the other week.  That's around 250 Airfields, approx.  Which should keep me up there for a few weeks getting "overviews" with the 172.

Another strange little quirk I have :D.  In FS9....yes FS9, with Sascha's EVO.  Is sitting at Hubs and large airports with AI installed and maxed out.  Very spectacular at dawn or dusk, with the volume pumped up.

Mmmm....think I may need treatment :stars:.

• Like 4
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:15, mutley said:

Normally, I fly one to two hours as I generally fly GA routes.

If I am flying multiplayer with the Mutley Crew, then a four hour+ flight is common place. (every week!) 

I have an old reception bell (like in Fawlty Towers) which I summon my wife with for gin and tonic once the sun is over the yardarm  :D

I have a bell like that too! :P  Fawlty Towers was such a great show...I loved it!!

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 12:25, brett said:

My flights usually last around one to two hours, usually closer to two and I also need to add about another half hour to forty-five minutes for planning. (I'm a slow planner I know):D When flying I try very hard not to pause the sim, that is unless I hear the voice of my leader wanting something and I will land somewhere if I need a cig bad enough. I'm also a GA flier and enjoy using NAV aids along with visual aids to get around instead of the GPS, it keeps me busy and makes the flight less boring. That's not to say I don't put the flight plan into the GPS, if available, if it's there I might as well utilize it in case I run into a problem.  I do fly the bigger jets once in awhile just to keep up on the procedures but don't find it as much fun, more like a work day.:P

Like all self-imposed rules they vary according to situations as they arise.;)

Hmmm...I have yet to learn Nav. Aids and GPS...I guess that I am a fly by the seat of your pants kinda guy!! :th_blush:

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 13:45, brett said:

As far as roleplaying a stewardess and fetching me drinks. I have been married for close to 37 years and been together for forty, I know what her exact facial expression and answer would be to that request. I have never asked her.:D

Wow...it is nice to see folks together for so long...congratulations you two.  :thum:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, brett said:

This is your doctor Arnie, play two hours of Dora the Explorer and call me in the morning.:P

That reminds of a question that a teacher asked her students.

The question was to name a famous explorer.  Someone said Dora!!  :rofl:

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Tristarcaptain said:

Wow...it is nice to see folks together for so long...congratulations you two.  :thum:

Thanks Martin, we are total opposites but enjoy each other's company, we agree to disagree on things with respect for the other views but most of all we have always stood shoulder to shoulder though the thick and thin that life throws at us. Plus the fact that she puts up with me.:D 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, brett said:

Thanks Martin, we are total opposites but enjoy each other's company, we agree to disagree on things with respect for the other views but most of all we have always stood shoulder to shoulder though the thick and thin that life throws at us. Plus the fact that she puts up with me.:D 

Sounds like similar skills serve well on forum boards too. :pilotic:

The hangar crew multiplayer is usually around 4 hours, but there are a bunch of stops in there and individual flights are rarely longer than 30-40 minutes.

It's been a good couple of years since I've had time for any other flying, and since I have to reconfigure my work PC for flight sim, I wouldn't consider it worth the effort for less than an hour's flying.

• Like 1

Either for my Air Hauler flights or for my adventure trips in different places of the world, I tend to organize flights between 1h and 1h30 plus planning time ( although I had sometimes to put up with longer stages as there was no closer airfield on the way... ) If the plane has an autopilot and I have a good book in my hands, it's not a problem. Unfortunately the longest ones were mostly above some desertic landscapes with old-time airplanes needing a hand on the stick ! :)

Since most of the time these flights take place in the afternoon while the missus is at work, or at night when she's sleeping ( as she needs to get up early to go to work ), I have to grab the beers in the fridge by myself.;) 

• Like 1

if I am flying GA its usually no more than an hour, in a tube it might be 2, it really depends on what time I have, that will help me decide what I do....if flying the bus I also enjoy the whole planning thing so that can take me a while, I plan a flight during the week knowing I have a good slot at the weekend when I get a bit of time on my own.....sometimes I get a brew brought to me......

• Like 1

My flights have been very sporadic of late. In truth I spend more time having to write about sim stuff than actually flying. However, in the last few months my Airbus flights have all been in the 2 to 2 1/2 hour flights. I'm hoping to push this once I get my main sim set up correctly. :)

As for the GA stuff, well that's the preserve of the mutleys crew fly in.four plus hours, often whilst getting quietly merry. :) 

• Like 1
On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 15:15, mutley said:

Different world..... If I tried that on I would probably end up wishing I was hitting down on the fuse of a large bomb!!!

My flights tend to be short as they are all military. Usually about 40 mins. There is no such thing as a long flight in an English Electric Lightning.

Edited by J G
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, J G said:

Different world..... If I tried that on I would probably end up wishing I was hitting down on the fuse of a large bomb!!!

My flights tend to be short as they are all military. Usually about 40 mins. There is no such thing as a long flight in an English Electric Lightning.

Funny comment on the first line!!  :rofl:

Nice to see that I am not the only one who likes the Lightning!  Is it the Aerosoft one that you have...?

• Like 1

Me too!!  By the way, have you used them with Tac-Pack to fire missiles or guns?  I have Tac-Pack but do not find it easy to fathom out!!  I think that they need to do a Dummies Guide to Tac-Pack!!  :stars:

I saw the Lightning do a 'thunder run' at Bruntingthorpe when I lived in the UK, and was allowed to take some cockpit photos!  That walk up the ladder is a long one, especially with that refueling probe to get around....!!  I guess that I have an affection for the Lightning as it was the first heavy metal fighter that I saw at an airshow.  I was about 10 at the time...!  Very, very impressive machine. :)

• Like 1