Mutley's Easter Bunny Air Rally (MEBAR) opens its doors to sim pilots.

logo.png

Mutley's Hangar is pleased to announce our latest flying challenge, the Mutley's Easter Bunny Air Rally (MEBAR) 2017.

The madness which has become this "Flying Circus" returns for its seventh year and this year we are on the road again as we travel to far, distant lands. Now, it is said by some in the flight sim world that "no one flies in South America". This is probably because their idea of flying is a morning little jolly up and down their home valley, back to the airfield for some procedural circuits, and home in time for afternoon tea. For those of us that have ventured farther afield to the South American continent, we know it to provide a wealth of flying adventures and experience that is as rich and diverse as the geography is wild and varied. MEBAR 2017 consists of five Flight Legs starting at Puerto Williams, Chile, the southernmost city in the world - here is a chance to tick another item off your flight simming "bucket list". We then head north, because in Chile there really are only two directions to travel, weaving a course between the mountains and the coast, to finish at the capital, Santiago. So, prepare yourselves and your aircraft to enjoy the journey, and remember, "It's not cold, but it is Chile".

Objective

Because the MEBAR is a fun event, we'll be keeping it simple by asking you to select either a single or twin prop aircraft, that's the only real limitation but see the our Rules page for a definitive description. The MEBAR will provide an event for flight simulation pilots of all skill levels, from the novice to the more experienced pilots, and from all corners of the globe, to test their flight and navigation skills.

The MEBAR will be held during the Easter holiday in mid-April 2017. Andrew Godden, who has organised the MEBAR since its inception, has kindly agreed to help us again this year with the MEBAR 2017, so we're in very good hands.

There is a Test Flight to be completed prior to Registration to establish your aircraft type and cruising speed. Further details of the Test Flight, Rally Route and Rules etc. can be found by clicking on the navigation tabs at the top right of the MEBAR 2017 website pages.

Event Format Overview

The flights involve either and / or a combination of VOR, NDB and "dead reckoning" navigating under day Visual Flight Rule (VFR) and / or Instrument Flight Rule (IFR) conditions. Variable departure times and weather conditions will also exist for each flight.

Eligible Aircraft Overview

Eligible aircraft include any piston engine or turboprop engine aircraft. Turbojet, turbofan and other such engined aircraft are not eligible for entry in the event.

The actual choice of aircraft is entirely at the discretion of the individual participant, provided it falls within the guidelines. Other considerations should include the Flight Leg distance, runway length and surface, and altitude performance. More information regarding aircraft eligibility is contained under the "Rules" link.

Registration

If you are interested in registering for the MEBAR 2017, have completed the test flight, have read and understand the rules and requirements for participating, click on the "Pilot Reg" link. Please note: Pilot registration closes 23:59 UTC on Wednesday, 12th April March 2017. So, fire up your sim and get cracking on the Test Flight! MEBAR 2017, and the fun starts here!

Quotes from previous MEBAR events...

This was my third, or fourth Rally with you. By far the best...! Thanks again, and I sincerely appreciate the time and efforts spent putting this together. See ya the next time!!”

“Completed all 5 flight legs now. Have to say it's been extremely challenging this year, but for me, the very best MEBAR ever ! Cheers Guys, I loved it.”

“Many thanks for another stimulating and challenging MEBAR. Especial thanks on this leg to those citizens of Beunavista who thoughtfully illuminated the runway at SKBN with their car headlights. As it was, we could have managed the T&G without their help, but it would have been dicey a few minutes later...”

“Well that was some mean MEBAR this year, many thanks yet again to the excellent organizers I really do look forward to this event. I must also add without Mr Tim Arnot and his excellent Plan-G this event, for me, would have been impossible so a massive thanks to him for all his efforts with his software, it is the best! Once again thanks for everything looking forward to next year, and bye to one and all!”

“Thank you for putting this together! Thoroughly enjoyed it, even when burning out turbines on the last leg of a day. Excellent work! I'll be back.”

“Fantastic last leg, with no difficulties. Another awesome sightseeing between sea coast and mountains, and with good weather. Good idea to set the sunset at the arrival, the perfect farewell to the rally. I want to congratulate to the organization, great job!” 

Previous MEBAR Pilots

• Like 2

Mine is officially registered. 

No doubt not the first. 

I was never the first kid to find an Easter egg, but I'll get my candy in the end, I'm just very pleased that I remembered how to navigate thanks to last year's challenge (last year taught me to VOR nav....Sweets!).

Thanks Andrew and Joe!

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Like 2