I have flown with Microsoft Flight Sims since the first one came out. That being said, I get lost when trying to add on airplanes, scenery, weather, and/missions. I want to fly the MEBAR 2017 but can't figure out where to put each of the three files for each leg. I have read the instructions and first put them where FSX.EXE is and no joy. Then I put them with the Missions folder, again no joy. then I made a new MEBAR 2017 under the missions folder and put the files there. I can't figure it out. I'm beginning to feel like a real dummy. Will someone take pity on me and tell me where (exactly) to put each of the files. Thanks.

Hi Wheelus.

Welcome to the MEBAR! We all have had the same dilemma as you at one point or another :)

The flight situation downloads we supply should be downloaded and copied to your c:\Documents and Settings\[your name] \My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files. You can then load the file in FSX and it will start your flight with the weather already set. What you need to do is change the aircraft from the default to your Rally aircraft.

The flight briefing files and weather reports are just pdf files which you need a pdf reader to display. These pdf files have essential information for your flight planning.

See how you get on and reply here if we can help more.

/Joe :hat: 

• Like 1

This is what I've done. I moved files to c:\documents and settings\user\my documents\flight simulator x files; not found . Then c:\documents and settings\robert\my documents\flight simulator x files; not found. Finally, c:\Flight Simulator X files; this is a directory but still no joy. I don't know if there is a place to put these files and have it work. No fault of you folks. But something to do with my computer? UGH!!!!

hi Wheelus. Welcome to the guts of the sometimes bewildering Hunt for Read FSX files...got your submarine ready?

The folder is somewhere in you User/YourName/Documents folders...wherever your machine is hiding those.

...so this is mine for example:

C:\Users\Matt\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

No guarantees...but I bet if you copy that above snippet, paste it into your Explorer URL window, and change my name to whatever name your computer thinks is Yours...it may lead the way to the correct folder to shove those MEBAR files.

Good luck sir!

IF that doesn't work...try doing a file search for

friday harbor.WX

Which should be a stock file from the default flight in FSX...and should be in the correct location. IF that locates correctly, you can back track the location from the url of that file.

Good luck again Sir!

Matt.

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Wheelus said:

This is what I've done. I moved files to c:\documents and settings\user\my documents\flight simulator x files; not found . Then c:\documents and settings\robert\my documents\flight simulator x files; not found. Finally, c:\Flight Simulator X files; this is a directory but still no joy. I don't know if there is a place to put these files and have it work. No fault of you folks. But something to do with my computer? UGH!!!!

Wheelus,

To follow on from Matt's post, what OS are you using? This could explain why you can't find the files in the suggested places.

An alternative is to simply save a flight from the "Free Flight" and find where that flight has saved to by doing a search. Whichever folder the flight has saved to is the folder where the MEBAR Flight Situation files need to be copied to.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Wheelus said:

This is for John. Yes it is. I was there from Oct 1962 to July 1965.

That makes you a little more "experienced" than me.  My years of service were '66-'70, in a different branch.  Anyway, from one veteran to another, thanks for what you did.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit. I've done what use suggested about saving a flight from free flight and put the files there, dc:\Flight Simulator X files. I'lllook again and make sure that I have done this as you have suggested.

Thanks

Robert

I am concerned by your last post that you have Saved your latest flight to a Non Default location when you posted " put the files there, dc:\Flight Simulator X files " .

( I assume you meant c:/etc not dc:/etc)

It's very common to install FSX on another disk rather than C:, but no matter which disc you install the sim, it will still place the Saved Flight Files in the default URL location.

So, while you are here please do me the favor. Open Explorer by double clicking your Computer icon on your desktop or from your Start Menu. Then copy and then paste the following line into the URL window at the top.

C:\Users\Robert\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

If Bob's your uncle, ;) , that may open the correct location.

cheers.

I finally got to fly the first leg!!!!!!!!!:D:thum: The files were in the right place but I was starting FSX the normal way and the flights were not coming up. So, for grins and giggles, I doubled clicked on the first leg files, and lo and behold I was sitting on the end of the runway in a Cessna 172. I changed to my default aircraft and away I went. Thanks for all the help. You are a great bunch of guys that makes it a joy to fly with you.

Smooth Sailing,

Robert, USN Retired

• Like 3