Hey guys, just had a though that maybe next year an island hoping adventure might be fun;

• Havana Cuba to Trinidad and Tobago
  • Fukuoka Japan To Taipei Taiwan and finish in Manila Philipines
  • Manado Indonesia to Vanuatu (or the Solomons)

3de77c2dae97001728f418371993ef29-ncmn-7.

or maybe an African Safari?

I'm almost finished my unofficial MEBAR2017 and really looking forward to next year!

Edited by OzWookiee
postscript
  • Like 1

Oz,

Thanks for your ideas and I'm glad you are already looking forward to next year's MEBAR.

One of the biggest challenges in designing the MEBAR route is finding an area which provides a sufficient navigation challenge over flight legs that are not overly long. The reality is, when it comes to conducting a rally like the MEBAR with long over water flight legs, it is, to use the Aussie vernacular, "as boring as bat shit", and with limited navigation challenges presented. The other major consideration is overall length, and this presents a separate challenge when you talk island hopping in some of the areas you mention. The final factor in the route design is flying in an area which is interesting or challenging for its geography and weather.

Nonetheless, after about 15 years of designing these types of events, I can assure you I will be hard at it again later this year when I start the MEBAR planning cycle for 2018 and trying to come up with a suitable challenge befitting, if not bettering the challenge of previous MEBARs.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 3

BeeJay, keep an eye out for our Around the World Challenge launching in a month or so's time, we will be visiting many interesting places, hopefully some you have never been to before! It is a different type of event, but fun just the same!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Andrew Godden said:

One of the biggest challenges in designing the MEBAR route is finding an area which provides a sufficient navigation challenge over flight legs that are not overly long. The reality is, when it comes to conducting a rally like the MEBAR with long over water flight legs, it is, to use the Aussie vernacular, "as boring as bat shit", and with limited navigation challenges presented. The other major consideration is overall length, and this presents a separate challenge when you talk island hopping in some of the areas you mention. The final factor in the route design is flying in an area which is interesting or challenging for its geography and weather.

You know after I posted this I was looking at those routes and thinking the exact same thing LOL :) Kinda got excited after watching some scenery vids, but yea, long trips over water would definitely not be as "exciting" (thank god I was wearing my brown pants) as Leg 02 of this years MEBAR! How the HECK anyone was able to fly lower than the clouds is beyond me (might have been different in P3D or FSX)

Edited by OzWookiee
add actual dialog
  • Like 1