FSX-its over!!!!!!!!!

Thats it, I have had with FSX, go on get in the bin, don't even think of going near my hard drive again, all these years, all the things I have bought you to keep you happy and its all about you and what you want, I'll give you fatal error!!!!!

Fired up FSX today, bang FATAL ERROR.......tried everything to get it to work, nothing had changed since being shut down last....one time to many for me, time I cut and run from the sim...did it hear me talking of newer sims on the horizon? weird how it happens..well after 6 hours I have given up and uninstalled all of it....now the pondering starts, I have an Academic v3.2 of P3D gathering dust, should install that? Love XP11 but still need something to run AH1/2....have to look into what will work with that I suppose, ORBX- yes    AS16- wrong licence....ASN- correct licence........REX-  works with both......Ai Traffic  -  I can get 360 to work I expect....most planes I fly will play nicely....

So what do you all reckon, just bin it and use just XP11?....or give P3D a try?   Would it be easier to install v3.2 and update that or download nearly 10gig from LM?

I feel so much better have shared my FSX woes, it's good to talk but FSX and me....we are history..........

Wayne

• Like 2

Hi Wayne, I have been FSX free for a couple of years now in favour of P3D and never looked back.

Why don't you get FSX Steam as a fill in for AH until P3DV4 and/or FSW comes out?

If you go the P3Dv2 route then redownload, then you know the install will be bang up to date.

Joe

• Like 1

Wain,

Much the same happened to me some time ago and I quickly switched over to FSX-SE with no problems.  Sometimes add-on installs are a little more complicated when you have to steer them to the default location, which is different than that for FSX (but the folder structure is the same once you get to FSX-SE's top level folder).  Other than that, what you know about FSX works for SE.

You can get it at a pretty reasonable price and, for me at least, it's pretty stable and well behaved.

John

• Like 1

As most of you will probably know i mainly use X-Plane but i do have P3D v3 and it never really ran well on my old system and i am tempted to install it on my new machine. P3D is very good though in my opinion.

As I understand it, all (modern) FSX add-ons work with P3D so go that since you already have it. AFAIK it is for all intents and purposes FSX 2015. Runs very nicely on my system with the added bonus that it has incredible support for multi-monitors allowing for perfect configuration, even allowing for one monitor being higher or lower than the others.

Plus, and you should know I fly predominantly X-Plane, there are a crap tonne more add-ons for FSX/P3D than X-Plane and that means ultimately there might be a plane you want to fly that you just cant get for X-Plane, I'm looking at you C-27J Spartan! In this particular instance yes there is a freeware C-27J Spartan on the org but it is no where near to the same level as the IRIS Simulations Battlefield Airlifter C-27J Spartan. So why not have both? :D

Cheers for the advise guys...I have installed P3Dv3, REX/ASN and some ORBX but with central that auto updates so its a slow process, will get it all installed though as I need something for AH....XP11 though is now my go to sim and I will give FSW  afair crack to try and see what the potential is, but honestly that could be a year or two down the road depending on how well it is received by the community and the devs....I have made a discision that I will not go back to FSX now, I actually have not bought any FSX stuff for a very long time......

• Like 1

The one thing I wish someone could have figured out is why in the world FSX can work well for so many users with minimal to no problems at all (not including VAS) but cause so many different problems interspersed among other PC's. :stars:

Hope P3D works out for you Wayne, you have paid your dues and deserve it.:D

• Like 1

Think I will stay with FSX. Never have, or had, any problems with it. Besides I've invested far too much money in payware aircraft, scenery etc. But good luck to people who wish to change their sim platforms.

Cheers.

• Like 2

P3D looking good so far,ORBX downloads seem to take forever but they are big......

I agree with you NEil I would stick with FSX but nothing changed and overnight it decided it didn't want to play anymore.

My main sim is XP11 but need something for AHso that will now be P3D...

True saying- if it aint broke don't fix it........less tinkering more flying....

I read on several forums that people are getting OOMS or Out Of Memory issues with P3D even though they have very high spec and expensive systems, not sure if anyone ever experienced this with FSX though as they are both 32bit.

I did see this tip mentioned to quell those OOM blues in P3D,  turning off Shader Cache in the nVidia control panel, as well as turning off hyper-threading in the CPU. Take it for what it is, a tip that worked for that person although he was thrilled with the results because he was having OOM problems that disappeared after doing this. My tip would also be to fly your flight and then restart P3D for the next one. 

I find having in the past 2 different saved settings helped, so if I was flying GA I could have more going on like ground traffic and Ai, but flying the tubes I would have a setting turning that either off or down low......I must say though I don't get that in XP, guessing as it's 64bit, my limits is my 970 4gb card.....

• Like 1
On 5/15/2017 at 16:24, wain said:

I find having in the past 2 different saved settings helped, so if I was flying GA I could have more going on like ground traffic and Ai, but flying the tubes I would have a setting turning that either off or down low......I must say though I don't get that in XP, guessing as it's 64bit, my limits is my 970 4gb card.....

That's a great card :)

I too have had issues with FSX right from the start, occasionally get the Fatal Error message or just simply freezing up at the most inopportune moment. I've been putting it down to having such a large amount of aircraft and scenery files. But I must admit it is bloody annoying. I only changed to FSX after my FS9 system kept buggering about when installed on the new W10 system as opposed to XP on the previous computer. After I'd changed a whole plethora of new FS9 aircraft suddenly emerged! Sods law!  However that system is completely uninstalled now and many of the aircraft are long gone  It's possible that my FSX system just needs refining, however I am not particularly computer savvy when it comes to messing about with programmes etc. and my PC engineer doesn't know much about the sim or it's requirements. He has no interest in aviation so has no idea as to what is supposed to do what when it's set up, sure he can put bigger drives and processors in etc but he works on the machines rather than customer introduced programmes. Ideally I need to get a Flight Sim expert to take a look at my set up and then optimise it for max efficiency. In the meantime I bumble along and hope for the best! :D 

• Like 2

My 2 cents :

I installed my FSX Gold in Nov 2013 after building the PC I'm still using ( middle range around an Intel i5 4670K and a 2Gb GPU )

I used for the whole setup the guidelines I found there : http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

A very interesting read, it was worth the time I used to read and understand it.

Since then I never had any problem although I installed many sceneries ( GEX/UTX, Orbx regions, freeware ) payware and freeware planes and freeware airfields. The only few times I had an issue it was my fault. I'm still happy with it and flying it every day.

- I only have in my " Simobjects/Airplanes " folder the FSX original planes plus what I'm using at the moment ( all others are stored in a "Hangar" folder from where I copy them to the "Airplanes" folder when needed ) and the AI planes used for AI traffic - outside UT2 planes which have their own folder - ( mostly FTX freeware air traffic from Orbx )

- I use SceneryConfigEditor to load each time only the scenery/airfields I need for my flight ( I use also the groups function, for instance I check all Misty Moorings addons with one click )

- I must admit I'm mostly in GA VFR "bush pilot" flights and don't use any complex tubes ( and stay away from large crowded airports and large cities )

I probably will go for P3D when it will be a 64 bits software with addons.  ( Although I'm still affraid of the workload when I think of the total time I spent over the years installing all the addons I have in FSX :wacko2: )

Edited by Corsaire31
  • Like 2

@Corsaire31 yeah I to had set up ref Nicks bible, was all fine and just changed over night for some reason, anyhow I now have P3D running which I use for AH and it's running well with the aircraft and addons I like....also have XP11 with everything I like on that so I am now in a position to just fly and enjoy it......64bit will only avoid OOM's I find in XP I only sometimes get near my cards limit but never my RAM limit.....I think as long as you have FSX / P3D set up well they look good anyway.....