ANNOUNCING… PREPAR3D V4 - Available May 30!

announcement_v4.png

ANNOUNCING… PREPAR3D V4

05-23-17

Lockheed Martin is proud to announce that the next generation of simulation and training will start on May 30, 2017 with the public release of Prepar3D v4. The release culminates over eight years of Lockheed Martin development and welcomes major enhancements and new capabilities.

Prepar3D v4

Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D v4 – available May 30, 2017

Prepar3D v4 completely changes the simulation landscape with a comprehensive baseline update to a 64-bit architecture. Higher resolution visuals, more objects, increased data precision, larger scenarios, and improved performance are now all possible at levels never seen before in the product’s history. The sky’s not the limit!

Additionally, the release brings dynamic lighting, rain/snow particles, global 3D trees, a fully reworked software development kit (SDK), new default vehicles, and countless improvements.

More details will be released over the next week with Prepar3D v4 being directly available from Prepar3D.com on May 30, 2017 at 2:00pm EST.

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2017/05/114164/

You'll need to purchase again guys. Last time only people who purchased v2 within 60 days (iirc) got a free upgrade. Either way I'm really looking forward to this one :)

• Like 2

It's a good time to be needing a computer rebuild.

With two 64bit platforms coming out, great devs like JF doing their best to work with both and make their products upgradable for those already invested...I'll be hanging on with FSX and my old AMD cards till these new platforms show us their level of commitment to the community like some of the Devs are doing...and make my choice accordingly.

:salute: to Just Flight.

/2 cents/pages of JF addons.

I can't help feeling "V4" has blown FSW out of the water, for P3D it's "business a usual", 3rd party devs are happy, and we are happy.

This new version is not a panacea for better performance, but hopefully we will no longer get an OOM message, 2 miles from landing after a red eye over the pond :)

Wow, even A2A is on board with P3Dv4 and all their P3D aircraft will be ported over to v4 with no extra cost to existing owners of the P3D aircraft. Plus they have said older war bird aircraft will slowly but surely be ported over as well, although it may take time. Seems as the good news just keep coming......

46 minutes ago, wain said:

Dovetail you see, this is what happens when you open up to 3rd party devs.....

I couldn't have said it better.  The add-on developers, both freeware and payware, and the tweakers and tinkerers amongst us are the heart and soul of the FS community - they provide the ever-improving menu that keeps the rest of us pulled up to the table.  The bubble-gummer millennials out looking for the hot release du jour (Hey, man, does that, like, come on Play Station?  Will it work on my iPhone?) will come and go quickly, if at all.  If it's not dumbed down to the point where Katy Perry could master it in a week or two, most of them will never bite in the first place. They're looking for a game, not a serious simulation.  As was attributed to that segment of the M$ F-Lite user population, "Where are the guns".

L-M's target customer base is composed of business and government entities, whose needs and desires overlap with ours by quite a lot.  I don't think it's going out on a limb now to say that L-M is probably going to be the way forward for us.  

I am pretty happy with FSX-SE, but it is, after all, just FSX with some tweaks.  It's an improved version of the past, not the future at all.  FSW may be technically a good product, but they apparently are determined to limit its potential with their "curated content" folly.  

Now, let's hold our breath and see what the L-M pricing looks like.

• Like 2

Seems to be a lot of good news about V4 coming from developers.  Both PMDG and FSLabs have announced that it will be a free upgrade to V4 for existing P3D customers.  UK2000 are currently unsure of a time frame or compatibility as they've not had access to P3d V4 until next week.

I'm with you guys  on the feeling that FSW has been blown out by P3D V4. I'm not overly surprised at their decision to close the door on 3rd party developers as they try to be quite restrictive with train simulator; seeing as there is one developer in particular (Armstrong Powerhouse) who is essentially the PMDG of the train sim world whose products are like PMDG over default aircraft.

I think the biggest issue for Dovetail here is competition on the market.  They've had the monopoly on the train sim world for so long they've become complacent in thinking they can do what they want and charge what they want, including shody products that either outright don't work or are full of bugs.  They're now trying to bring that model to flight sim and I think they don't fully understand the community of the flight sim market or the complexities involved.  But then again, I get the feeling that we're not their target audience and they are trying to get more the of the 'gamer' players on steam interested in flying; and hey, the more people being interested in this hobby of simulating flight (all be it limited in FSW) can only be a good thing as it might get more people interested, and tempt them to P3D, which will grow our community of serious flight simmers, perhaps even boosting the sales of our beloved 3rd party developers somewhere down the line.

From what I've seen and read about FSW it is a no from me.  I'll be upgrading to V4 once my most used addons are compatible. 

Edited by The red barron

If I have to pay full price for the upgrade then it is a big NO from me.  P3D v3.x works for me, and I see no reason to pay full price, or a high upgrade price for that matter just to go 64 bit.

Edited by J G

FSW seems to be very much form over function right now. Sure it looks pretty and I love the cockpit shadows, but I'd also love an autopilot where the buttons and knobs work as expected. Add in the DLC blocks all over the place (can't even load in an externally created flight plan without "effort"!), and I can see hardcore simmers getting fed up with it very quickly.

P3D however is completely the opposite: It's your sim, yeah, have a ball! Good attitude!

I'm looking forward to getting hold of v4 - I've been holding off on v3 for a while now in expectation (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Or upgrade. And neither would I expect it). My computer is up to snuff, even with last year's 6600k and 980Ti, and I'm ready (cash willing) to press the button . . .

1 hour ago, J G said:

If I have to pay full price for the upgrade then it is a big NO from me.  P3D v3.x works for me, and I see no reason to pay full price, or a high upgrade price for that matter just to go 64 bit.

This is no different to any major upgrade from Lockheed Martin, it's like going from FS95 to FS98 to FS2000 to 2002 to 2004 to FSX, just a different naming convention.

If V3 works for you then :rockon: but the future is V4...

2 hours ago, J G said:

Bare in mind that P3D v4 offers a vast improvement for VR users. Apparently it's much smoother and everything within the cockpit is now clickable.