This is not a flight sim...

But I know some here are also sailors like me...

Jumped today in the early access of "Sail Away" a realistic sailing sim. Real time, you can set your boat on a long trip while you are offline. You can teleport to anywhere in the world with real local weather.

Every sheet, halyard, traveller, backstay, trimming device is working ( you can set difficulty from Beginner where the sim does all the trimming for you to Expert where you have to manage everything ) Chat with other people online or only 20 nm around you, weekly races organised. For now only 3 boats available ( which you can name, repaint, etc...) but there will be more on official release in a few months.

A couple pics from my 6.50m Mini Transat ( by night... ) :

2017-06-0500_52_08-Greenshot.jpg

2017-06-0500_52_35-Greenshot.jpg

Edited by Corsaire31
  • Like 2
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But I know some here are also sailors like me...   Jumped today in the early access of "Sail Away" a realistic sailing sim. Real time, you can set your boat on a long trip while you are offl

Just remeber to read the licence as you might not be able to use this for entertainment and must only be used for educational purposes. So as long as you're learning something...

Sorry boys, been out racing on my Mini 12 today (not joking).   It was really interesting when I was learning to fly. Especially the navigation part using the #1 Eyeball. The instructor was

Forgot one feature : when you are on a long trip, you can set your autopilot either to keep a bearing or an angle to the wind, and you receive emails informing you of the conditions ( at a frequency you can set yourself like every 3 hrs or 12 hrs.... )  Also it seems you can be several people on the same boat ( skipper sends invitation ) not tested yet.

At the moment I'm trying with the cruiser a crossing between Antibes in the South of France and Calvi in Corsica ( this is the path of a a race I used to do every year at this time with around 200 other boats ) Not helped with the NNW 4.5 knots wind, only progressing 2.5 knots VMG with gennaker and boat set 150° from wind.  Will have time for some tuna fishing ... :)  Still 73 nm to go...

4 hours ago, wain said:

that looks quite good, but I understand nothing of sailing except which way up the goes....

Nor do I, which is the reason I might get this :)

• Like 1

Wind has turned to the west and gone up to 6 knots. I'm now doing 3.5 knots, but right on course, which I couldn't do before as the wind was blowing 180° from my course ( sailors know this is the slowest angle to the wind, so I had to set my angle at 150° with the gennaker, and was sailing 30° off course. )

A quick pic :

20170605133526_1.jpg

Edited by Corsaire31
1 hour ago, Bumblebee said:

Nor do I, which is the reason I might get this :)

Just remeber to read the licence as you might not be able to use this for entertainment and must only be used for educational purposes. So as long as you're learning something... ;)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, OzWookiee said:

Just remeber to read the licence as you might not be able to use this for entertainment and must only be used for educational purposes. So as long as you're learning something... ;)

sounds like P3D....

You might give it a go with the genoa unfurled and set inside the gennaker. Depending on the boat and the apparent wind angle, double-slotting can give you an extra 1/4 Kt.

Never worked for me on "Passages". Passages is a 20T double ender and I always found that it was not possible to heat the boat up enough to gain any VMG if the course was lower than 160. My wife and I would never set a symmetrical chute while offshore as the risks with a kite that size and a short-handed crew were not acceptable. 

Cool sim though. Maybe I should look into it and we can have us a race.

Very cool that the sim persists in real time when you log out/close it...and emails updates...like having a crew member on deck keeping watch for you. Other than wind angle AP setting (which seems safest to set when away), are their any other autopilot features like auto-trimming And Heading adjusting (to simulate a crewperson)? I'm not sure waking up every 2-3 hours in my Vberth to check my Vboat's progress would be conducive to VSleeping.

2 minutes ago, Quickmarch said:

Cool sim though. Maybe I should look into it and we can have us a race.

Maybe I should look into it too and we could crew a boat together...Transpac! With Loic on EU time it might help keep a live crew on board. Have we got any Aussie sailors to help cover the clock? :D

17 minutes ago, Captain Coffee said:

Very cool that the sim persists in real time when you log out/close it...and emails updates...like having a crew member on deck keeping watch for you. Other than wind angle AP setting (which seems safest to set when away), are their any other autopilot features like auto-trimming And Heading adjusting (to simulate a crewperson)? I'm not sure waking up every 2-3 hours in my Vberth to check my Vboat's progress would be conducive to VSleeping.

It's your choice, I play it safe and choose to have the game adjust the type of sails and their trimming while I'm away... this way I can choose a bearing autopilot knowing the crew will adjust the sails while I'm resting.  Going downwind I prefer using the wind angle AP to keep the boat moving at the best speed.

For the moment it's not possible to create user races, you can only participate in the organized races, but it's a feature on the to-do list. In the meantime you can always compete separately on the same course racing against time. For the Transpac, I will wait until faster racing boats are developped, like the Imoca 60 or the Volvo 70... :)

Edited by Corsaire31
  • Like 1

There is a catamaran in the works now, but I don't know which type. I have a nice one in FSX with TV and everything on board, I will show it probably in the Tongass fjords... :)

Also just installed a set of carbon sails on my Mini Transat racer...

Edited by Corsaire31
  • Like 1

Reefing is definitely in the cards. When racing I never let the heel angle exceed five degrees. The loss in VMG through increased side slip is tremendous. Leeway while cruising is also important. If you're trying top sail to windward, every foot you loose to leeway must be made up on the opposite tack.

Cruising: Heel angle is controlled by dropping the traveler to leeward, increasing luff and foot tensions, and moving the genoa lead cars aft to twist off the top of the genoa. Finally I change to a smaller jib and/or reef the main. 

Racing: I control heel angle with sail tensions (flatten the sails and move the CE forward with Cunningham and outhaul), mast bend and "feathering". In fact, on my racing boat I cannot reef the main, it's on a halyard lock, so all mainsail power reductions are done through mast and sail control. I do not have a traveler on the race boat either.

On this old cruiser there is no working traveller and a fixed backstay and genoa lead cars. It's kinda dummy boat for beginners, but you have 3 sails in front (genoa, jib and N°4) and 3 reefs in the main, but nothing much you can use to open the top of the sails except the halyard ...  The mini transat being a race boat has everything you need to play with the shape of the sails, and also the 38 ' cruiser has most of it,outhaul, cunningham, backstay, travellers and carts.

Edited by Corsaire31

By saying "opening the top" Loic, I'm actually referring to "twisting" the sail so that the AOA at the top is greater than at the bottom. This has the effect of spilling the sideforce up high in the sailplan, reducing the heeling moment. It's the same as wing washout in an aircraft.

The same is done on the mainsail by dropping the traveller to leeward, increasing the cunningham load, bending the top of the mast and tightening the outhaul.

I'll be in Toulouse in the fall. Happy to show you, first hand.

Fair winds

March

Hey March, glad you're coming around, hope you'll have time for a glass or two !  You know I've been sailor and skipper on racing boats for 30 years and been teaching this sort of things, but thanks anyway ...:D

• Like 1