This is not a flight sim...

I have this game now and it has a lot of potential.  Some coastal detail, the ability to anchor or better still putter into a port would be the icing on the cake. 

It would be nice if it had the flexibility of FSX in simulating weather, cloud detail, new boats, traffic etc, It may well have this already, I hope so! 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But I know some here are also sailors like me...   Jumped today in the early access of "Sail Away" a realistic sailing sim. Real time, you can set your boat on a long trip while you are offl

Just remeber to read the licence as you might not be able to use this for entertainment and must only be used for educational purposes. So as long as you're learning something...

Sorry boys, been out racing on my Mini 12 today (not joking).   It was really interesting when I was learning to fly. Especially the navigation part using the #1 Eyeball. The instructor was

All those sailing terms.:stars: I would guess this would make a somewhat decent training tool to learn the proper terms for the lines and such. Does it have a good manual on how to sail? 

I am more used to click bilge on, turn key, unlash and push throttle forward.:D

Got the game this morning. Still too many rellies around to start playing. I might get a look at it later tonight. If I feed the rellies a lot of red wine with dinner, they'll be sound asleep by 2100. Then the cat can play.

• Like 1

Hey @brett, we'll give you one new term per day. You'll be talkin the talk before August.

Today's- Lee means the side of the boat away from the wind. (opposite side to where the wind is coming from).

Ref: Lee shore - the shoreline that is on the lee side of the boat.

Ref: If you feel seasick, head for the lee rail (extremely important tip)

Ref: Seasick - a malady brought on by the lack of a tree to sit under. Most often encountered while "at sea".

Please start taking notes - there WILL be a test.

• Like 1

A Bar is a hazardous crossing into a river channel.

Port is the side of the boat with the Bar.

Stay on the Right side of both while sailing.

Speaking of winch:

A sailor ran into a bar late at night, never had a shot, and drowned.

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Like 1

Been on plenty of boats but never got a chance to go sailing, I would expect that the lack of large engines running while spewing clouds of exhaust, pure quiet except for the wind, the sails and cutting through the water must be a wonderful experience. Sort of like the difference between flying with prop and gliding. You are some lucky ducks.:D

Sailing is a lot like gliding, and flying in general. Same principles set on their ear basically. Sail boats have wings in two mediums, the top medium is diffuse and rapidly changingwith a wing/s which is light and easily adjustable to ply it..., the lower medium is thick and relatively predictable and has a short heavy lead wing tearing through it balancing forces on the top wing. Lift, drag, thrust forces are all being adjusted for constantly like in an airplane, and it is fun as heck especially on small boats like Lasers. I believe learning to sail can help understand how to fly better...and I bet pilots pick up the principles of sailing faster than the average bloke. :)

• Like 1

Sorry boys, been out racing on my Mini 12 today (not joking).

It was really interesting when I was learning to fly. Especially the navigation part using the #1 Eyeball. The instructor was quite amazed that I could intuitively track my course over the ground and plug in appropriate direction adjustments to allow for drift.

That was until I told him that looking over the side of an aircraft was immensely more informative than looking over the side of a boat.

Compass and watch. Compass and watch. Compass and watch.

One thing I learned when using a sextant to navigate across large stretches of open water; Always plug in a tiny bit of left (or right) error when marking your calculated position on the chart. That way when the clock runs out and the island isn't visible, you know which way to turn.

Still entertaining rellies, so no playing with the Steam thing tonight. Can't wait to get at it!

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Quickmarch said:

when using a sextant to navigate across large stretches of open water; Always plug in a tiny bit of left (or right) error when marking your calculated position on the chart. That way when the clock runs out and the island isn't visible, you know which way to turn.

Someone should have told that to Amelia and Fred.

John

• Like 1

I played for an hour, sorry guys, but I gave it back to them this morning.

IMHO they have a long, long, way to go with the UI before this will work as a sailing simulation. There was an Americas Cup simulation many years ago that was a lot more intuitive than this one. I found it way too "busy". Click spots all over the place and awkward mouse movements to effect trim. The steering simulation was very good, though. Instrumentation was also good.

In all fairness, I loaded it to a laptop (with a trackball). It might be better on a larger screen.

• Like 1

I warned you it was an early access, we are working with the dev ( very receptive ) to finish the software. :)  It will take at least 6 months before official release.  Last update introduced surfing on waves and wind shadow on other boats.

Instead of clicking spots I prefer to use Q and E keys to go through the different ropes.  You can also setup with a Xbox type controller.

In the meantime we are already organizing long races. They are more about tactic and strategy than trimming the boat, we are on autopilot ( bearing or wind angle ) most of the time. ( same as in real life in solo races )  Once you've trimmed your sails and set the autopilot, you're not going to stay and stare at your monitor for hours on a straight course...  You can also have a lot of interesting chats with other people. Yesterday evening while I was manually going up the Solent ( had to tack quite a few times to the Needles ) I was talking with a guy from the Isle of Man on its way to the Fastnet rock.

We have also formed a french speaking group with a Discord channel where we can talk or chat, we have put up a website and forum and start organizing things. I'm in charge of speed records on different routes.

At the moment I am preparing a Cowes - Dinard race, I left the Solent last night and I'm in the middle of the Channel heading to Guernsey, but the wind in the nose...

PS  I suppose you are talking about Virtual Skipper 5 32nd America's Cup. It has still a strong community and I'm racing with it every weekend. It depicts only a few spots and not the whole world, and the controls are very simple ( you can only pull or release both sheets at the same time in manual mode ). In fact we make all races on tactical mode with auto trimming of sails.  The skipper steers the boat and the crew pulls on the ropes...

Edited by Corsaire31

Thanks @Corsaire31,

Yes, I took early access into account. There was much more to the decision than that . The real killer was the Steam interface. A lot had to do with the fact that I could not run it on my netbook (Win10, Intel Celeron N2807 1.58Ghz with 2Gb of memory). I was hoping it would be something I could take to Europe with me this fall for rainy day entertainment. I was recalling the times when a friend and I whiled away a lot of time on the Navimag Ferry heading down through Patagonia in the fog and rain. You're right, it was Virtual Skipper, I'd forgotten the name.

I understand.  For information, you don't have to go through Steam, you can buy the game directly from the Sailaway website if I remember. I went thru Steam because I already have a lot of games there.

For information :

I am part of the organisation of the french speaking Sailaway community. The goal is mainly to organize long races at the same time as the real ones and federate french speaking skippers. But we are open to the world , I'm in charge of translations and communications. We are working closely with the editor of the game.

I'm also organiser and Race Committee for speed records. We have in our ranks already quite a few FSX/P3D pilots, so it might interest some more.

We organise on Sunday 18th 13:00 UTC the Mini Fastnet with 6.50m monotypes "Mini Transat", a 600 nm race between Brittany, Land's End, the Fastnet south of Ireland and back.

It's all there :

http://communaute-fr-sail.forumactif.com/

I have a couple of questions about Sailaway and where it is going.

I can see its appeal for those who want to race, but I have a more adventure type of play in mind. I would like to see a better chart than the small map and to be able to enter and leave port. This last to start and end an adventure instead of having to start somewhere off the coast of...This would need better land scenery, to make it more of an FSX of the sea. Is this likely to happen?  You would need an outboard engine, and proper mooring procedures.

Also will Sailaway support third party add-ons as FSX does?    

• Like 1

JG we are still in alpha stage. So no answer to your questions at this point.

I also like adventure, I'm planning a round the world sailing to celebrate the 50 years of Bernard Moitessier " La longue route " the book which made me jump into sailing.

For the map just drag the corner and you can have the size of your screen.

If there is an engine one day, I hope we'll have a mean to seal it for the races... :)

PS  I'm already doing some nice boat trips in FSX with my cruise catamaran from Deltasim studios, except it is not persistent like Sailaway.

Edited by Corsaire31

If there are engines eventually, firing them up should be shown on some kind of durable auto event  logger for things like that.

Wonder if there will be a market for Addon 'Yacht Clubs and Harbors" similar to ORBx...I agree that simply popping into a boat at sea is less interesting than having to board at the club, jockey out to the start with the fleet...even motoring there if necessary, and then starting the actual races with help of starters and chase boats...oh....

Motors would be good for Chase boats as well. :) I just saw Brett's ears perk up. :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Captain Coffee said:

Wonder if there will be a market for Addon 'Yacht Clubs and Harbors" similar to ORBx...I agree that simply popping into a boat at sea is less interesting than having to board at the club, jockey out to the start with the fleet...even motoring there if necessary, and then starting the actual races with help of starters and chase boats...oh....

Motors would be good for Chase boats as well. :) I just saw Brett's ears perk up. :D

Personally I would welcome the opportunity to stroll down to the marina from the bar G&T in hand to start my adventures....

Outboards would have to be strictly rationed on fuel and power....

But seriously, the impact of tides when sailing etc. would be a good thing to see.

Just for information, I won this afternoon the 600 nm Mini Fastnet Race, a 4 days race between Brittany, Land's End, Ireland, Fastnet Rock and back...   on Mini One Design 6.50m sailing boats.

After 4 days of sleeping 3 hours per night and a half hour here and there during the day, pints of beer (because of hot weather ) and coffee (to stay awake ) I finished 40 minutes before a korean skipper, a british skipper and an italian skipper ( and 10 other boats )  We had an american but he had to quit in the middle due to irl issues.

Taking some rest now until Cowes - Dinard on the 7th of July ...

20170622142601_1.jpg

Edited by Corsaire31
  • Like 1