Unfortunately, with our new server we have lost the ability to embed direct image links from FS-Snaps only all other image host sites like Imgur and Photobucket are unaffected.

So for members who would usually paste in the direct image URL you will now have to copy and paste the  BB code. 

Screen Shot 06-06-17 at 02.30 PM.JPG

The disadvantage to this is you don't get a preview of the image in the post as you are editing, you will need to click the post preview button  Screen Shot 06-06-17 at 02.49 PM.JPG to see the images in the post.

Alternatively, a much more fiddly option would be to click the insert image button in the toolbar (I have just added this) Screen Shot 06-06-17 at 02.50 PM.JPG then add the direct image url and the image size (must be no bigger than 1200px wide)

Screen Shot 06-06-17 at 02.54 PM.JPG

and it will show in the post as you are editing.

2017-1-22_12-20-18-552.jpg

Apologies to those who will have to change their routines.

Regards,

Joe

Not sure why, but I glommed onto the BB setting immediately, possibly because it doesn't create links to the hosting site...it just keeps you on the page.

Not seeing a preview isn't an issue thanks to how I arrange my images for posting.

A pre-planning posting tip to make arranging forum images easy peasy:

Rename and number your shots:

I always save the shots I wish to post as Jpegs from the screenshot format. I open them in my image program, Save As jpegs, and rename them numbered consecutively in order of how I plan to post them. For example, the latest set of F3F shots were all named "F3Fmix-*" where the * is the next consecutive number. After copy/pasting the FSsnaps urls into the post here on Mutley's, even if they get pasted in the wrong order, changing the numerical order is easy peasy thanks to the identical file name lengths...I just keystroke: "delete, 1, down, delete, 2, down, delete, 3, down...etc" till they are all renumbered in correct order.

Another advantage of this pre-planning is inside my huge file of screenshots (just checked...currently at 26.3 gigs) it is clearly visible which images I have deemed worthy of being saved (jpeg icons, and named) so when it is time to clear out that folder, I don't dump the good ones. (26.3 gigs is a probably a good time to dump that file btw...doh)

• Like 5
  • 5 months later...

Well done Alan, as per my email to all FSS members we are not accepting any more uploads from tonight. Imgur have been good for me so far :thum:

EDIT: The option to uploads has now been suspended. (No time like the present :mellow:)

• Like 1

Alllllllrighty, I made the switch to IMGUR, but had to use Internet Explorer to get it done, the Captcha thingy would not recognize my mouse clicks in Firefox.

Also, I'm a bit cheesed to discover that someone on Imgur already has the CaptainCoffee login name. Grrrrrr....F'n imposter!!! I had to abbreviate to CaptCoffee. :(

• Sad 2

MS OneDrive is another option.  You do need an MS ID but I think you get 5 GB free.  I have all the airport diagram bundles on it and use links from that within the download page here.  I also use it (now) for my embedded images in posts here, after being burned by Photo*ucket.  Still fixing broken links in my posts from those but probably won't live long enough to find and fix all of them.

John

• Thanks 1

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Alo1Z3io-GLbad6gzxQx2iAtCOM

MS Onedrive test^

I don't see any option to display the image directly in a post from Onedrive...is there a way John?

Test #2 (may have found it) :

y4mnHyXzNjWiN6HSEYQYhIRom4qPQhISsEF188gb

EUREKA I Have found it.

Quicky review of MSonedrive after 10 minutes of poking around in it...in a word "Awesome!"

It auto organizes the images by the date I modified/created them. It will auto tag shots to help organize them, and if used on a mobile app it will even auto download and store your photos to your onedrive (but i turned off all automatic functions at this time, and don't plan to put in on my phone)

Thanks for the tip to Onedrive John.

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Thanks 1

I am sure there is a way Coff, and John is your go to guy.

Sorry I had to stop more uploading of screenshots to FS-Snaps but I am sure you appreciate the reason why. The next level of hosting and storage is aimed at businesses with an income of which we have none! :cray:

• Thanks 1

Actually grateful to it closing (in a backwards kind of way) , as well as it did work, and many thanks for giving it a go Joe..because it's death led to following John's tip to MSOnedrive. MS1drv is hella easier to use, faster to upload to than PB or FSSnaps, and keeps my images to a private cloud drive rather than to a public cloud drive.

Cheers...and RIP FSsnaps, the very popular do tend to die young don't they? :(:cray:

Oh! and I forgot to mention, Jaykae has has a very profitable screenshot hosting site here: http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/ which has earnt him thousands of dollars and new hardware etc. Just be sure you donate to his annual donation drive :D. I never wanted to make a profit, maybe cover 50% of my costs? Actual = <1%.

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, Captain Coffee said:

Actually grateful to it closing (in a backwards kind of way) , as well as it did work, and many thanks for giving it a go Joe..because it's death led to following John's tip to MSOnedrive. MS1drv is hella easier to use, faster to upload to than PB or FSSnaps, and keeps my images to a private cloud drive rather than to a public cloud drive.

Cheers...and RIP FSsnaps, the very popular do tend to die young don't they? :(:cray:

Well yes, I don't totally agree that MS OneDrive is easier or more friendly to use as a image hosting site, it's quite convoluted to get a simple embed link to a screenshot link.

Anyhew, it's free and M$ have deep pockets, something I don't benefit from!

In a nutshell, after putting a file in one of your OneDrive folders...

1) Right-click the image and "View Online"; a browser window will open.  (If it shows the whole folder, click on the desired image; usually it goes directly to the image you want, but sometimes not, particularly if it's a fresh upload.)

2) Left-click on the ellipsis (...) in the top-line menu.  [Sometimes there's an "Embed" option in the top-line menu but choosing it bypasses the ability to select an image size to display, as in 5 below - the ellipsis is better.]

3) Select "Embed"

4) Select "Generate"  [If you're re-visiting an image you've already generated a link for by posting previously, this won't be shown.]

5) Select image size you want to display

6) Copy the link and paste it into the forum site.  [The links tend to be pretty large compared to some other sites but still a lot smaller than your image file, and that's the whole idea.  With copy and paste, size doesn't matter.  - - - Did I really say that?]

After you've done it a few dozen times you can pretty much click through the process in your sleep, which I often do.

I'm neither an MS fan-boy nor an MS basher, exclusively.  I like some of what they do/did (FSX, OneDrive, Win XP, Win 7, Win 10) and dislike some other things of theirs (MS F-Light, Win ME, Vista, Win 8/8.1, MS Office subscriptions).  If I praise something of theirs you can take it to the bank that it's because I truly like IT, not because I like THEM.

• Like 2

It took me a minute to find the method to embed, so for anyone considering giving it a try...embedding is a 4 click and copy/paste op after image is uploaded.

Uploading is just drag and drop into the MS1D Pictures folder on the PC, easy peasy.

-Click my uploaded image in the Picture folder.

-Click "embed" button from the menu above the image.

-Click "Generate" button to generate the html link (not sure this step needed to be here...but w/e, it's like one of those stupid extra "Ok, do what I just asked you to do" steps... Coff )

-Click the link generated to highlight the link.

copy (ctrl-c)...

...(ctrl-v) paste into to screen shot post...(and the image previews automatically unlike old PS and FS BBcode links)

coff.

edit: Oops...looks like we dual tutorial'd at the same time John. :)

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, Captain Coffee said:

Oops...looks like we dual tutorial'd at the same time John

It's one of the reasons MH is such a great place.  You don't get service like this all up and down the block.

John

• Like 2
22 hours ago, mutley said:

Well done Alan, as per my email to all FSS members we are not accepting any more uploads from tonight. Imgur have been good for me so far :thum:

EDIT: The option to uploads has now been suspended. (No time like the present :mellow:)

I didn’t get an email on this. What happened to FSS?

20 minutes ago, SEATAC said:

I didn’t get an email on this. 

Hi Rich, I just checked, your email server rejected the email.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

rxxxxxxr@xxx.net  (I've hidden your address)

host ff-ip4-mx-vip2.prodigy.net [144.160.159.22]

SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<joe@mutleyshangar.com>:

553 5.3.0 flpd596 DNSBL:ATTRBL 521< 79.170.40.124 >_is_blocked.For assistance forward this email to abuse_rbl@abuse-att.net

Here is a copy of the email

Dear [Name],

I am writing with some bad news. As from the 1st of December 2017 FS-Snaps will be closed to new members and new uploads. This will not affect the images you presently have stored on the server, or links on any website. You will still be able to log in if you need to edit any content.

Unfortunately, the success of the site has been it's downfall, the data storage is very near it's maximum on the price band of service we have, and upgrading to the next level is not an option.

Thanks for making FS-Snaps a success, if you have no other host since Photo Bucket went power crazy then give https://imgur.com/ a go.

All the best.

John / Matt great work explaining this, I have somehow set up for P3D and FSW to save shots to folders in ONEDRIVE already, also available on my phone???....anyway al seems straight forward.....if you have browser in fullscreen you see embed otherwise the dots... John was saying about...

should we go for a particular size or does that not matter?

y4m12ivund5ZKU0YFlXU3xhToHwm14t8mRD1fRQy

5 gigs of free space should roughly hold 10,000 images at my average of 500kb per full size image...that should last most of us quite a while...Alan...a couple months or so. :D

FYI, not sure why it happened but my MS1D account was temp suspended 'due to suspicious/unusual activity', which turned out to be a big nothing, me Using MS1D apparently was unusual...haha. I just had to reactivate the account using an phone code...back up and running...cept now I guess MS has my phone number? :( (Although I'd be surprised  if MS didn't already have my ph#, SSN#, bank accounts, shoe size, and favorite brand of toothpaste....)

Edited by Captain Coffee

...should we go for a particular size or does that not matter?

I try not to make anything wider than 1024 (one of the options in OneDrive), which means most people, most of the time, will probably not have to use a scroll bar or change zoom level to see the pic. 

In updating some old broken links to airport diagrams that were in the former, late, great MH File Library, I use the 660 option, big enough for all of the text to be legible and to see the details but not really sharp enough that people will want to download them by screenshot.

From the point of view of the forum you're posting to, there's no downside to using a large format; it comes down to what works best for the users who are looking at them.

John

28 minutes ago, Captain Coffee said:

I just had to reactivate the account using an phone code...back up and running...cept now I guess MS has my phone number? :( (Although I'd be surprised  if MS didn't already have my ph#, SSN#, bank accounts, shoe size, and favorite brand of toothpaste....)

No doubt, along with Apple, Google, FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat and the whole bunch of them.  Of all of them, I trust FaceBook the least.  The little twit that runs it has a social agenda I don't much like and I suspect he's using his company's clout to further it wherever he can.

EDIT:  ... and of course the NSA, CIA, FBI, DIA, MI5, MI6, KGB, GRU and various other TLAs.

• Haha 1