Stop the default scenario on restart/crash

OK guys, I've given P3D a few goes but what has driven me NUTS is that instead of restarting the current scenario, P3D in its infinite wisdom reloads the default scenario. Every. Damn. Time. 

So much so that I've rage quite each time lol! 

I even got a couple birds I would like to fly but just cannot get past this road block. Yes I could turn off the crashes and such but I want to fly as "real" as possible. 

9 hours ago, brett said:

If enough users complain on their site maybe they will change that.;)

I'm guessing if it hasn't happened yet, it's not going to :(  How do you P3D'ers deal with it or is it something of a minor convenience once you're more familiar with the aircraft/system?

17 hours ago, OzWookiee said:

OK guys, I've given P3D a few goes but what has driven me NUTS is that instead of restarting the current scenario, P3D in its infinite wisdom reloads the default scenario. Every. Damn. Time. 

So much so that I've rage quite each time lol! 

I even got a couple birds I would like to fly but just cannot get past this road block. Yes I could turn off the crashes and such but I want to fly as "real" as possible. 

So, given that you are crashing regularly, is not creating the scenario and then saving it before you start flying an option. Then all you have to do is load the saved scenario.

I'm currently not sitting in front of my flight simming computer, however, I'm pretty certain, P3D has the ability to save scenarios.

• Like 2

Hey Andrew, you're bang on right that P3D can save scenarios and if that's the "fix" then I'll just have to get into that habit. Though if I just want to noodle around and try things then it's just one more thing I have to remember. I've been VERY spoiled with X-Plane...

I feel pretty sure they will patch this if it's reported.  I haven't bought it yet but plan to within a week or so.  Might wait now to see if they get this fixed, but it doesn't sound fatal.

John

4 minutes ago, allardjd said:

I feel pretty sure they will patch this if it's reported.  I haven't bought it yet but plan to within a week or so.  Might wait now to see if they get this fixed, but it doesn't sound fatal.

John

I'm using P3D v3 John :( So it's been the SOP for a while it seems.

It does sound annoying if after a crash instead of returning to the flight the user has set up it defaults to the original(default) free flight setup. Is that what you are saying, usually in FSX it just returns to the beginning of the flight the user has set up.

Saving the flight as Andrew has suggested is your best bet, when I first started out after setting up a free flight I would just save it as "a" and if I was flying long distances I would save it throughout the flight as "b". This would allow me either start from the beginning again or from where the flight crashed due to aircraft crash or OOM. Then if I enjoyed that flight and wished to fly it again at another time I would just rename that "a" save.

With the introduction of freeware sceneries and even a few of the default scenery into my system, crashes would happen because the bounding box was too big around certain buildings. This was very annoying and I finally turned off crash detection, I am old enough to know when it was me that screwed up and would just mentally admonish myself and continue on, I didn't need the sim to start from the beginning again like it was some sort of game consol. I got into this to learn how to fly, not to play a game, real as possible means learning everything you can about aviation, hard to do when you keep getting sent back to the start line.:)

I might add one thing about FSX, when I got it I didn't know I was going to learn so much about my computer too, two for the price of one.:cool:   

• Like 2

So I went back and had another crack last night and did as suggested, create my scenario, save it and fly. I overstressed the engines again (well the AP did at any rate) and so the scenario "crashed" to which, rather than loading the saved scenario, loaded again the default. It's even quite a fresh install with only three planes and ORBX Australia loaded.

Going to document all my steps tonight and go through systematically and try to find a way to make it "behave". Working as the technical manager for a web software company, I'm well acquainted with bug testing and documentation so I'll do that and report back (as well as post of the P3D forums) and hopefully I can get a resolution.

WOW. So that was completely unexpected (the final result). Here's my testing method:

Testing for resetting scenario issue

Scenario
Plane: Alabeo Extra 300s Halcones (default aircraft)
Airport: NZNP - Active Runway
Weather: Fair
Time and Season: 30/09/2015 - 0800

Menu set to show at startup

---
Load P3D
Create Scenario
Crash Plane
Result: F22 @ KVPS Rwy 19 Fiar 30/09/2015 @ 0800
Exit to desktop

---

Load P3D
Create Scenario
Save Scenario
Crash Plane
Exit to desktop

---

Load P3D
Load Scenario
Crash Plane
Result: SUCCESS reloads scenario
Exit to Desktop

---

Load P3D
Create Scenario
Save Scenario
Mark Scenario as Fav
Crash Plane
Exit to Desktop

---

Load P3D
Create Scenario
Save Scenario
Mark as Default
Crash Plane
Exit to Desktop

---

The final one is what's really got me, even though I saved the scenario and set it as DEFAULT, it still loaded the system default of the F22 @ KVPS. So if I ever want to fly I have to:

1. Create my scenario
  2. Exit to Desktop
  3. Restart P3D
  4. Load my scenario

Otherwise I am guaranteed to go back to the F22. O.o

WOW.

But apparently this is not the expected behaviour:

Postby Mike LM » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:32 am

On a scenario reset, the simulator loads the last scenario loaded or saved. If you used the scenario startup screen to make a custom scenario at the start and have loaded no other scenarios, it will go to your default scenario.

How are you loading your TAP scenario? Are you creating it through the new scenario or the scenario startup menu? Or did you save it and have been loading it from a separate file?

If you are creating the scenario each time via the new scenario or scenario startup menu, then the behavior that you're seeing is expected.

- Mike

Prepar3D® Software Engineer

Is any one else having this issue?

I don't have P3D, and this issue sounds like a stupid PITA that shouldn't have survived version 1.01 let alone to v3 :(

Suggestion, this is just a test:

Can you try Create Scenario, then Immediately (re) Load (the just created) Scenario, without going back to desktop and restarting P3D? Just wondering if "Load Scenario" at the start of a flight is the golden ticket to success. :)

cheers.

4 hours ago, OzWookiee said:

Posted this on the P3D forum and got an reply saying it'll be fixed in the next update but unclear if that update is for v3.4 or v4

Thank goodness for that...it was really starting to get to me.

• Like 1

So it seems your own test and the results of those quoted by Mike@LM are the way to go until this is fixed, well done.:thum:

Load P3D
Load [saved] Scenario
Crash Plane
Result: SUCCESS reloads scenario
Exit to Desktop

Well that and not crashing.:P

• Like 1

never had your crashing issue in P3Dv3, I have set up a default load to always show the screen where you set up the flight, it always starts me in the Bonanza at EGGD with current weather, I click reset time and it sets up todays date / time then fly.....I would maybe try and find out why you keep getting the crash though....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, wain said:

never had your crashing issue in P3Dv3, I have set up a default load to always show the screen where you set up the flight, it always starts me in the Bonanza at EGGD with current weather, I click reset time and it sets up todays date / time then fly.....I would maybe try and find out why you keep getting the crash though....

Hahaha the only crashing is me as I'm learning P3D!!

• Like 2